“Not worth it ...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 460 Hotels in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Not worth it ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2005

The hotel is old and it has mosquitos. I got stung six times on the face on my second night. It was awful. The service was just average. I asked the front desk to make dinner reservation for me but I didn't get a confirmation from him whether the reservation was made ... I had to follow up with him.

The hotel is centrally located but it's old. We stayed in a superior double on the first floor which was close to the kitchen. We could hear the kitchen staff working .... It was just noisy...

The complimentary fruit basket was nice. The bathroom amenities were nice (i.e., bathrobe, towel warmer ..etc.)

I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
International Nomad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2005

I am stunned by all the good reviews this hotel received. I stayed in Florence for 4 days in early April. 2 at the Savoy and 2 at the Helvetia Bristol. I thought this hotel was grossly overrated. On the plus side, the bathroom was large, pretty and had both a towel warmer and a rain-shower head: both big advantages in my book. And the staff was friendly and polite. But my bedroom was at the end of a long, dingy corridor; there was street noise and the decor was ugly and worn. This is not what I expect from a hotel that charges a single person more than 200 Euros/night! They left flowers in my room -- a thoughtful touch -- but by nightfall of my first evening there they were droopy and sad looking. Unless you get a great deal, by all means skip the Helvetia and stay at the Savoy.

• Stayed April 2005
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

My friend and I spent 4 nights at the Helvetia & Bristol Hotel. We had a wonderful stay and were amazed by the quality of the rooms! Big bedroom great bathroom! The hotel has a GREAT location with walking distance to major sites. From the SMN station the hotel was just a few minutes away. The breakfast was good but not excellent but the staff are very helpful. If you can get a reasonable price from them then do not hesitate!

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2005

This is a *6 Star Hotel*!! (If there ever was such a rating! ) Our suite was palatial. No detail was ignored. Staff were outstanding in every regard.. almost anticipated your next request. Fabulous! (We stayed for 4 nights in September 2004). One of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

Highly recommended. We chose this as our special place to get married from in Florence. And it was beyond our expectations. Staff were helpful and supportive. Nothing was too much trouble. Room was excellent. Breakfasts were appealing and innovative. Excellent OJ !

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2004

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights the end of September. I have only great things to say about the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite with a quiet courtyard view. Ther staff was terrific, and the location tops in Florence. Our hotel choice in Florence came down to the H&B and the Savoy. The Savoy, a block away is a lot like the W-Hotels, so if you like that over traditional elegance, go for it. Best rate for the hotel was on U-tell. Get breakfast included, it is excellent but about 30 euro. Florence is a great city, our favorite of the 9 cities of our trip. Make advanced reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia. I used Select Italy, and it worked well. Don't miss the Santa Croce.

Bentonville, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2004

Several years ago I was blessed with a situation that allowed me to visit Florence a couple of times a year. My plan was to stay in as many different hotels as I could. And so I stayed in a dozen or so of Florence's finest. A few months ago I stayed at the Helvetia. There is no reason for me to continue my search for the Best Hotel in Florence. The Helvetia is it. It is the most wonderful place to be when you are in Florence.

Been to Helvetia & Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!