“Great Hotel, Great Location, and GREAT STAFF” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Dei Pescioni 2, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #76 of 459 Hotels in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Great Hotel, Great Location, and GREAT STAFF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

This was my wife and I's trip through Italy and this hotel took the cake. Without writing a thesis which I would do for this hotel, if your looking for all of the above comments this is your place. We paid a little extra for this place but its way worth it. The Head Concierge Alessandro had great restaurant selections and advice. Everyone there will know your name if you stay for more than a day. In short, I cant say enough good things about this hotel I visited Venice and Rome also and this was by far the best.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I stayed at the Helvetia Bristol for 5 nights. The hotel was well situated in the heart of Florence.

My concerns were that my small room(single) was next to the lift so noisy. It was very hot and I was told that I could not use the air-conditioner as other guests were cold and that the heating and cooling could not be available in the hotel at the same time. This meant a very uncomfortable time and no effort was made to address my issue.
Towels were well-used and ready to be replaced.
Breakfast was average but the pre-made scrambled eggs and coffee were ghastly.

I had an incorrect charge on my final bill for room service and minibar which I had not incurred and there was no apology for the mistake, it was simply removed.

Overall my stay did not meet expectations and the response to my concerns was poor. I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Tujunga, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

This was one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. So often high end elegant hotels are a bit cold, but this one exuded warmth and comfort. The lobby was filled with groupings of gorgeous, comfortable furniture and had a wood burning fireplace. The walls of our jr. suite were covered in padded fabric. I don't want to be on the go every second when I'm traveling, and I didn't feel as if I were missing out on Italy when I just spent some time in the hotel because it was so lovely.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We stayed at the hotel in the third part of our honeymoon throughout Italy.
At first we were given a relatively small, dark room in the inner court of the hotel. We asked for a better room explaining that we were in our honeymoon and they moved us to a larger room overlooking the side street of the hotel. The room was very nice, the bathroom was great and our mood improved a lot.
The staff was friendly and helpfull. We didn't park our rental in the hotel (it costed 50 euros p/d), instead we took it to a public parking outside the city walls and paid 12 euros for three days.
We visited Florence right after Siena and were a little dissapointed, we foynd the city a bit dirty and unwelcoming. One night we were walking near Santa Croce and witnessed an ugly fight that had to do with drugs. In general we didn't feel very safe at night, something that we hadn't encountered anywhere else in our trip to Italy.
Overall I'd say that if I ever returned to Florence I would stay at Helvetia and Bristol again.

• Liked — The location, breakfast
  • Disliked — The Hotel has inner court rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

WONDERFUL HOTEL, FRIENDLY staff! FANTASTIC LOCATION!
The rooms were beautiful and extremely inviting and clean.
The housekeepers were so cheerful and very accommodating to us. We were here in August of 2008. We can't speak high enough about the hotel restaurant, the quality of the food and the way they always went out of their way to please us.

The morning buffet breakfast was above and beyond what we were anticipating as well. You could always order off the menu, but the variety and quality of the food was so incredible we couldn't pass it up. The concierge was so helpful, very friendly and a lot of fun. He went out of his way for us too. He recommended a great little traditional Italian restaurant for us and we were never so pleased. It was called "13 Gobbi" (The address of the same name) That place is definitely a hidden gem!

We (all 6 of us) highly recommend Helvetia and Bristol for your next stay. The location was so great. A short walk to everything in the center of the town, yet on a nice little street away from cars and any noise. Our rooms were on the top floor just above the beautiful flags that fly on the buildings, facing the small restaurant/pub straight across the way. We are looking so forward to going back again and again.

Linda Lee Lester, Gilroy, CA.
LindaLLester@aol.com

• Liked — The 5 star rating, the high quality, friendliness and food!
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

Great Location...and Awesome Cooking Classes..in the Hotel!!

We had a lovely time at the Helvetia and Bristol Hotel in Florence. The hotel is in a perfect location - 2 blocks from the Duomo and central to the train station and great shopping.
The conciege also was an excellent souce of recommendations.

One of the best things we discovered abou this hotel was that it offered SUPERB cooking classes with its awesome hotel Chef in the incredible kitchen of the hotel itself.
The Chef's name is Enzo Pette and he was marvelous!! Patient, professional and an awesome cook!! Classes can be 1 afternoon or morning or up to 3 days!! We spent an afternoon in Enzo's kitchen and for 3 hours made and cooked 3 pastas, a beautiful potoato pie starter and a gorgeous dessert finally!

Not the hotel if you are looking for nightlife. But a lovely, quiet old hotel with a perfect location and a delicous restaurant.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — very quiet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
travelguy20
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

We recently stayed here for a few days as part of our honeymoon through Italy. The location could not be more perfect- just steps from Florence's best shopping and restaurants. The hotel staff were amazing- extremely helpful and courteous. We had a car and it was 40 Euro a day to park- cheaper than in Milan. The hotel is beautifully decorated and quiet. The windows close completely with wooden shutters as well as heavy drapes, thus blocking out all light. The bathroom was very nice and our room was very well decorated. Again, the location just can't be beat- everything worth seeing in Florence is within walking distance. Find a good rate and enjoy!! I would definitely want to stay here again on our next Italian adventure!

• Liked — The location!
  • Disliked — The room could have been larger
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Helvetia & Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!