“Fantastic location, amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save €25 on select meals
Ranked #71 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Sao Paulo
“Fantastic location, amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This 'historical' five star hotel is a really good place, close to most attractions in Florence and definitely one of the best staff I have ever seen. They were always ready to help us in any way possible, even for our day trips to Lucca, Siena and Pisa. The breakfest is great too and the whole hotel gives this feeling of an old mansion, which goes really well with the city of Florence. The rooms are really good, very spacious and luxurious. I just didn't like the restaurant of the Hotel, service is not really good, the manager was in a bad mood and the food was trying to be way too fancy, but that doesn't make our amazing experience any worse.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Morro de Sao Paulo, BA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was many times in The Florence. In my opinion this is a better place, the location is perfect and the palce is storical.
It was need a place to do some appointments and this hotel has a very good structure to do it.
The staff is very kind, too.

Room Tip: The better location of Florence
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Luana M, Assistente di Direzione at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sir,
I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that both our services and staff have somehow contributed to render your time in Florence a successful one.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Helvetia & Bristol in the near future.
With best regards.
Heber City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We picked this hotel because it is part of The Leading Hotels of the World and its location. The staff is very friendly and helpful-they are the best part of the hotel. Beds are comfortable and adorned with exquisite Italian linen. Its central location allowed us to walk to every pace we wanted to visit in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Luana M, Assistente di Direzione at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, we always appreciate feedback from customers as it helps us, being part of The Leading Hotels of the World, to maintain a high standard of service. I will also share your comments with our staff who I am sure will be delighted! We are more than happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to welcome you into Helvetia & Bristol once again in the future.

Kindest regards,
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The front desk clerk was very polite as well as the doorman and other staff.
Unfortunately the first room they showed us to was a complete disaster. Dark, dingy, stained chairs....awful.
I talked to the manager and he went up to look at the room.
He apologized and sent up champagne and a very nice fruit basket as well as a letter of apology. The next morning my daughter and I were upgraded to a wonderful suite.
Luxury pure.
Our week at the Helvetia was first class.
This is not a modern hotel, but a charming old mansion. If that is your cup of tea, this is the place for you.
Centrally located, yet very refined and peaceful.
The breakfast buffet was also excellent.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, we are glad you enjoyed it. I can only apologise that the first room you were shown was not up to your expectations. As you have experienced the Helvetia & Bristol is a historical hotel with only 67 rooms. The room categories go from Classic Double to Royal Suite, and apart from the size they all offer the same facilities and comforts. Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you into the Helvetia & Bristol again in the future.

Kindest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The front desk staff made our stay special as there wasn't a question they couldn't answer or a request they didn't jump to respond to. Great hotel in a terrific location. Breakfast was excellent and the main lobby was well appointed. We have been to many high end hotels in the U.S. and Europe and this one ranks among the best. We would return without a second thought.

Room Tip: Pay for the suite...well worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Luana M, Assistant General Manager at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay in Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. We very much appreciate any feedback and will be sure to pass on these positive comments to our staff who I am sure will be delighted!
We look forward to welcoming you into Helvetia & Bristol once again in the future.

Kindest regards.
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Europe at least once a quarter and have stayed in Florence many times over the years but the Helvetia Bristol is one of my favorites so it really was a no brainer as to where I wanted to stay to celebrate with my wife our anniversary. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The staff and the service were impeccable. The location was ideal for everything we wanted to do. Dining, shopping, sightseeing is within a 5 minute walk. All in all it was a great stay. You definitely get what you pay for but we considered it a great value. My one complaint, and it is a consistent one in Europe, is the dearth of English language tv stations and the small size of the tv.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, it is important for us to receive guest's feedback to help us maintain a high standard of service. I am very glad to hear that you thought of Helvetia & Bristol when arranging your anniversary celebrations, and we are more than pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly share your comments with our members of staff who I am sure will be grateful for your remarks.
I am sorry to learn that the television channels and size were not quite up to your expectations but we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you into our hotel once again.

Kindest regards.
Milan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I arrived to the hotel at around 9pm. While I was paying the taxi I expected a bellman to come outside to help me with the luggage. Nobody showed up and I had to carry my luggage inside. There was not any bellman in the lobby. As I approached the front desk carrying my luggage, the front desk personnel smiled but did not help me with the luggage. Very surprising for what "it is not just one of the most luxurious and prestigious hotels of the city " according to the hotel website.
Check in was fine. However, when I mentioned that I needed my shirt to be ironed in the morning by 8.30am they looked at me and simply said that "probably this will not be possible because house keeping arrives at that time". Of course, it was not possible to have an iron and a board in my room (this is a typical problem with Italian hotels however the Savoy hotel which is only 2 blocks from the Helvetia & Bristol allows guests to have an iron and a board in the room). I was in Florence for business, I needed my shirt to be ironed in the morning and usually house keeping in a luxury hotel starts before 8.30am. I complained and the morning after my shirts was ironed by 8.40am.
The hotel is old and tired. It is fine to have old / antique furnitures but this cannot be a luxury hotel. Same problem with my room: it was smelling and looking old, it needed to be refurbished. The air conditioning unit was very old and extremely noisy. Opening the window was not an option because of the noise in the street.
Breakfast was pretty disappointing. The breakfast room was very small and full of tourists. The quality was disappointing. The sliced cantaloup was fermented.
I checked out at 9.30am and the lobby was packed of Asian tourists.
The issue with this hotel is that this is not a luxury, business hotel but a 4 star touristic hotel serving large groups. The hotel is a Leading Hotel of the World, as a Leading Hotel Member I usually stay at a LHW but the Helvetia & Bristol cannot be part of this chain.
Never again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Luana M, Asssistente di Direzione at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sir,
thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your remarks concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We would like to apologize for any disservice suffered by you and we are truly sorry that the matter was not brought to our attention at the time.
As far as the bellman service is concerned, we suppose it was caused by a minor staff shortage at that time.
Small classy parties are welcome to our hotel and as you may understand in an era of fast moving economy, the travelers are more and more cosmopolitan.
According to the Italian law, the iron is not permitted in a hotel bedroom, so we are quite surprised to learn that other Florentine hotels do not follow this legislation, which is also in the interest of our guests’ Health & Safety.
The Helvetia & Bristol is a deluxe historical hotel, which has been always up-to-date throughout the years since the day of its opening. However, in 2013 a new refurbishment process will take place.
As information, certainly not as justification, being right in middle of a tourist city as Florence, it may cause night noise beyond our control.
Concerning the comments about the breakfast meal, we must admit a certain surprise, as our guests may enjoy a large hot and cold meal selection from our Buffet, where the freshness is one of our main purpose.
We trust you may pay us a return visit in the near future and give us the opportunity to revise your impression of the Helvetia & Bristol.
Sincerely.

Been to Helvetia & Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!