“In the center of Florence” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save €25 on select meals
Ranked #73 of 460 Hotels in Florence
Los Angeles, California
“In the center of Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great, smaller sized hotel with a great location. The staff was very friendly and the restaurant was great for lunch. Never got a chance to experience breakfast or dinner here, but overall was nice. The rooms were somewhat spacious (including our Amex perks) but you don't go the birthplace of art to sit in your room all day. No fitness center or spa, but the hotel is very close to the Duomo and Strozzi Palace. The hotel has some great history as well ( over 500 yrs old and linked to the famed Strozzi family ( not a big surprise given the history of Italy) The staff gave great recommendations for other restaurants and what we needed to know of ' must see's and not'. And much friendlier than the staff at the Savoy. Tons of Americans not as many Germans as we encountered in Venice and Siena. Definitely will consider visiting again.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor and try to get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Luana M, Assistente del Direttore at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Sirs,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. It is always a great pleasure to receive a positive feedback.
I will convey your comments to our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
I am deligthed to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Helvetia & Bristol in the future.
With our best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We did a multi state tour and Florence "Fiorenze" is by far my favorite. We arrived a bit early and had to wait for our room but the Amex platinum upgrade was unbelievable. We had one of the only balcony rooms. It overlooks a popular nitespot. This place is very close to it all. We never needed to take a cab. The accommodations were great, the restaurant was nice. All the surrounding restaurants were awesome. Put this on your must do list.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sirs,
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your sojourn with us and that both our services and staff have somehow contributed to render your time in Firenze a successful one.
We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Helvetia & Bristol in the near future.
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon, and really enjoyed our time at the Helvetia & Bristol. The room was on the snug side, but the service we received was the best out of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip.
We received a complimentary drink on arrival and, since it was the Easter weekend, all guests received an Easter cake in their room on the Sunday.
We dined at the restaurant our first night and were very impressed with the cuisine. The tiramsu was amazing!! One night, we only had two courses at a restaurant in town so we could come back to the hotel and order tiramsu again for our dessert!
On the negative side of the spectrum, as I've said, our room was pretty snug, and there was a drain from the rooms above in the wall, which was very loud when someone in the other rooms was showering or at the toilet.
If you're expecting a modern hotel with huge rooms, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. If, however, you want somewhere with genuine character and fantastic service then I would recommend checking this place out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Luana M, Assistente del Direttore at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for having been our guest! We appreciate your opinions which would help us to build up a still better service to our guests.
As you have been able to experience, the Helvetia & Bristol is a small de-luxe Hotel housed in an historical building just in the centre of Florence and offers different types of rooms and suites with diverse rates.The deluxe accommodations are larger than the execeutive ones, even if all of them have been individually furnished and decorated, consequently no two are alike, however all the rooms offer the same kind of facilities and amenities.
We are delighted to hear that our home-made Tiramisù was of your liking and that our services have somehow contributed to render your time in Florence a successful one.
We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Helvetia & Bristol in the future, meanwhile we send you our best regards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We were in Italy for 16days staying in Rome, Sorrento,Florence and Venice.
This was by far the bottom of the four hotels. Mostly because of attitude. I asked for an iron and the said you cant use one here. I stated I had traveled all over and never seen that. He said " well you must never have been in Italy!".
Well, I actually have and just had an iron in Rome and Sorrento. It was a poor way to speak to a guest. Also, the AC never worked properly.
On the positive side , this hotel is perfectly positioned to see everything

Luana M, Assistente del Direttore at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your full expectations, for which I express my apologies.
At Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I like to take this opportunity to confirm you that as a rule of your company, for safety reasons irons are not allowed in the bedrooms.
I am sure that the Reception staff was concerned about your needs,however I would like to renew our apologies for any apparent lack of interest of feeling regarding your predicament.
As you have been able to experience, we are having a real hot summer in Italy and the temperature in Florence and also in other main Itralian cities rose to an unusually high level. Due to this unexpected African heat, also some of our rooms particularly suffered from the effects of said situation.
I appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is an elegant hotel that is beautifully located in the center of Florence close to shopping and key attractions. Our rooms were delightful and spacious with timely housekeeping services daily. The front desk staff was exceptional throughout our 4 day stay helping with directions, reservations, general information on several topics, and even successfully shipped a package back to the U.S for us. Breakfast was a real treat with ample variety including eggs, bacon, Italian cheeses and meat, fresh fruit, yogurt, an assortment of pastries and personally served coffees/tea. I agree with others that the internet should be complimentary and that this is becoming much more common at other upscale hotels. There was a fire or police station nearby, so we did hear sirens a couple times at night, but, hey, this is a big city! The only other negative was dinner. The duck and risotto was the worst risotto we've ever had with no flavor and a tiny portion of duck. The steak dish was much better. Luckily, the meal was mostly covered through a package we had, so we didn't care quite as much. Overall, we were pleased with the experience and would gladly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A higher floor may be quieter. If you can be upgraded to a jr suite, they are quite posh!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Luana M, Assistente del Direzione at Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for staying at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol for your sojourn in Florence.
I appreciate your comments regarding our hotel and even though the dinner did not meet your satisfaction, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that both our staff and services have somehow contributed to render your time in Florence a successful one.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Helvetia & Bristol in the future, I thank you for your patronage and I send you my best regards.
nsw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Not really value for money. The only really good thing about this place is the lovely staff. We had a suit and the air con did not work in one room and water from the radiator had leaked and it smelt real bad. Breakfast was not as good as other hotels we have stayed in in Italy.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your full expectations, for which I express my sincerest apologies and
I am sorry that the matter was not brought to our attention at the time.
At Hotel Helvetia & Bristol, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
Sincerely.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

It was wonderful, we arrived early and was great to know that our room was ready as we had been up since 4.30am and can imagine we were shattered.
Alessandro had shown us around and took us to our suite which was lovely and very spacious for an old building. The decor and traditional style was so impressive in the hotel it's nice to know there is still great Character in hotels like this and not all changed to the modern way !

I had booked a Chianti tour through the concierge and this was all organised with pick up ready for us at 2pm, and the scenary and fun we had on this was very good, also given free time to venture off and enjoy the sites.

We had a lovely meal in the hotel on Sunday night after our busy day and the food was great, staff were so attentive and location of the hotel was so good.
Considering we only had 2 days in Florence we did so much and the weather was great.

Just want to say when I return ( which I am sure I will ) I will be staying back at this hotel and definitely recommending this to people, clients and family.

A wonderful property with real character and top service!

Thanks Sammy

Room Tip: We had a suite which had great views over Florence, very spacious and had no noise issues at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Sammy,
Thank you for choosing the Helvetia & Bristol for your sojourn in Florence.
I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. It is always a great pleasure to receive a positive feedback.
I will share your comments with Alessandro and our team, which I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
Thank you for your support and for sharing your experience.
With our best regards.

Been to Helvetia & Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!