“Very old and run down” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #420 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Sydney, Australia
“Very old and run down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Luckily was only here for the one night while heading towards Lavagna, man this place is so run down. The room was big enough, the beds were so unconformable, the bathroom was small and dirty and water leaked out of the shower, this place really needs a good makeover. Our room was right in front of the air conditioner unit (I think) so there was this constant loud buzzing noise, so we did not get a good nights sleep. Breakfast was limited and unimpressive. I probably would not call this place a Hotel, but I guess you get what you pay for. as this was one of the cheapest places in Florence.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old and poorly maintained. At the first glance rooms are looking good. But the disappointment when you enter the bathroom... Maybe they cleaned it but still seemed quite dirty. It's small and many tiles are broken or even missing, shower floor is cracked plus the water stays in.
Madras is old with bumps on both sides of the bed.
It wasn't too expensive but definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a base for Florence.

It's not in the city centre, but the bus stops right outside and only takes 10 minutes, there neighborhood is good with shops (including supermarket), and some good restaurants within walking distance (I suggest iTemplari, ask the staff and they will direct you). And there is also free parking on site for those with cars.

Breakfast was good with breads, pastries cheese, meat and cereal with coffee brewed to order.

The room was good and the bed comfy, however the bathroom was rather small and the shower leaked. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
bloemfontein
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Coming down the street to the hotel, it looked rather scruffy from the outside. However, even though we were very early (11H00) the friendly desk attendant showed us the hotel parking at the back of the hotel. (Free - which is seldom found in Florence, or any other city in Italy.) She quickly helped us with maps, directions and suggestions for the rest of the day, including restaurants nearby for the evening. The hotel could do with a lick of paint and some renovations, especially the showers, which do not drain. I reported this to the cleaning lady, but she must have not understood me or ignored me. It was clean (no dust under the bed) and we received new towels on the second day. The breakfast was continental, which kept us going until about eleven. Bus stop to the city close by, on the same street. On the reception staff's suggestion, we walked a couple of blocks from the hotel for a fantastic Florentine evening meal. Overall, good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I would like to start off this review by saying I am not someone who has to have a top notch hotel when I visit a new city for the first time - my attitude usually is, as long as it is clean and the mattress halfway decent - then that's fine. My main aim is to explore the city and not stay in the hotel room....BUT...this hotel well, first of all it is seriously far away from the city center. When I say far away, it's okay by bus which is not that bad actually - and the bus stop is not too far from the hotel so that is fine. The girls behind reception were also very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could - but I guess we just went at the wrong time - and by that I mean our stay coincided with about 80 Italian teenage schoolkids who were away for a few days on a visit to Florence. That is cool too - but what was NOT cool was the noise they made until well into the early hours and I am talking 2 or 3 am and then again from 7am onwards. Not sure if their teacher was with them but neither he/she nor the hotel management did anything about that until we complained bitterly. Then they put an italian notice on all the doors that was meant to have said - no noise after 10pm - well guess what, it did not work. Eventually we decided to leave the hotel and lastminute.com into another one as it was my birthday week after all. The rooms are pretty basic and sometimes a bit shabby and the walls need cleaning (dead nats that someone obviously swatted were still sticking on there) - I think this hotel is more for groups as I did not see many couples. The breakfast was as basic as they come and the girls who served it were rather grumpy. I suppose it had something to do with the fact that 80 kids had descended on them. All in all, I would NOT recommend this hotel to couples who want to have a romantic getaway in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Yes, it is cheap but you certainly get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Good luck - we moved from one facing the street to one facing the back car par - but at least there...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hessen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel. It was a family trip. It was pretty bad. The room was small, there was no air conditioning. In the shower the water was not going out very well. The staff was not friendly. I don't really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very good value for money. We payed 112 euros for three nights for a double room traveling with our daughter. This included breakfast (not very substantial but still) and parking.
The room was spacious and clean.
The hotel is not very centric but the bus stop is 100 m. away and the ride to the historical centre only takes 15 mins. For us this was not a real inconvenience though it might be for some.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Astor? Share your experiences!