“Good if you don't know much about Japanese food...” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hanami
Borgo Ognissanti 85r, Florence, Italy (Santa Maria Novella)
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good if you don't know much about Japanese food...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I couldn't remember the name of this place except where it was. So I had to go on Google Map and used Street View to figure out the name of this restaurant. All that just to help others to avoid this place. (Unless you are one of those who thinks any $20+ Japanese food is great, then go for it.)

It's just not good. It's not even average. (Thus the poor rating.) It's overpriced and not tasty at all. And it's disappointing because we thought it was gonna be good when we saw the people in there are Japanese. Boy were we wrong. They might be Japanese but they are young Japanese kids. Good for them for doing what they're doing, but the food is still not good.

Onto other things... Atmosphere is ok. Service isn't bad from what I can remember. (It really wasn't memorable at all...)

Again, there are better places to go to in Florence.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Hanoi, Vietnam
“Poor quality, high prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I have been to many Japanese restaurants in Italy and only few stand out in terms of quality. Generally Japanese food is relatively expensive because of the fresh fish they use. Here, I had a rice dish with chicken and teriyaki sauce and the most expensive Maki on the menu. The rice dish is EUR 10,00 and was a small bowl of rice with a few chicken pieces and a bit of Teryaki sauce. The Maki were 8 pieces of Tiger Maki for EUR 16,00. The quality was poor, I had to ask for Wasabi and the people working were only interested in their smart phones.
Conclusion: I do not recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank gluon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Japanese restaurant near Westin and Grand hotels/ Piazza Ognissanti.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

For a change of pace from pizza, pasta, and (too) plentiful meals, I happened upon Hanami, which I visited twice during a recent visit to Florence. (Yes, it was that good!)

I had a late lunch one day and dinner another evening. (I can strongly recommend the seaweed salad and tempura.) The food was great and the service very pleasant; the prices are also very reasonable. Ordering Japanese food in Italian from a Chinese wait staff was entertaining as well. (I happen to speak Italian, but they do speak English.)

So if you need a break from Italian food, this is a great find!

• 5 of 5 stars