“Lovely hotel, splendid views of the river.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Mulino di Firenze
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via di Villamagna 119, 50126 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #17 of 458 Hotels in Florence
Saint-Petersburg
“Lovely hotel, splendid views of the river.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was the second hotel in Italy where me and my husband stayed during our honeymoon this summer.
Right from the start of this review I have to admit that the first impression was not so good, but while we stayed it got much better.
On our arrival the staff were polite and helpful but as soon as we got the keys and were shown to our room came a big disappointment. Looking at the pictures of the hotel on their site and wherever else you can find them you get the impression that all the rooms have a wonderful river view and from moderately big to huge windows, so the rooms seem full of light on the pictures. But when we opened the door we faced a dim room of quite modest size with the tiniest window I've ever seen in my life (and we've booked not a classic room but a superior double btw). And even more, that window overlooked not so mach the river as I expected and as I specifically asked in my booking, but the pool area most of all. Not the best impression on your honeymoon! At first sight I was on the verge of tears because I wanted to stay in this hotel so much and based on the pictures I saw I chose this hotel for our honeymoon because of the beautiful big windows overlooking the river. So much for the pictures...
Well anyway I got myself together, got back to the reception and asked the ladies if we could change the room for something not overlooking the pool at least, because it's a big "no-no" for me wherever I travel. They said that the hotel was fully booked at the moment but were nice enough to show us another room right next to the one they proposed us at first and the other room turned out to have a much better location and view altogether even though it still had that tiny window and was a bit smaller itself. So we changed the rooms and settled on that.
Once we put up with the small windows the rest about the hotel and the stay were fine. The room was clean and nicely furnished and it had a big bathroom (although some more space for clothes would be nice). The hotel area is something in between a museum and an old villa you can enjoy just being there and walking around this building. The pool area was very lovely and comfortable and not noisy whatsoever.
The breakfast takes place in the restaurant area which has a small terrace overlooking the Arno river, splendid views and unbelievable peace and quietness. Breakfast is good and has a nice variety of foods. The staff was very polite.
The restaurant itself is really something not to miss! Excellent food and service and the best Tiramisu we’ve had in Italy.
The hotel surroundings are totally breathtaking I just cannot stress enough how beautiful the nature along the river is. Mind that the hotel is situated not that close to Florence itself, so to get there you’ll need a car or a cab or you could rent a bike because to get to Florence by foot from there is a very tiresome walk. The free indoor garage is situated right next to the hotel it was very convenient and we never had a problem to park there.
Overall the hotel is in an awesome and very quiet location and I would totally recommend it as a romantic getaway. But I feel like the management of the hotel should be more honest with their guests and publish at least more information if not more honest photos about the way their rooms look like. This way there would not be any disappointments since people would know what to expect.

Room Tip: When booking specify that you need a river view and not a pool view if that's an issue for you.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
Kortrijk, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stay 3 days in Mulino di Firenze, booked early february, and were amazed over the hotel.
Very friendly staff, exelent barman.
it is a recent hotel and you see that they are still working on some improvement.
Our room was large enough for 3 people (we were there with our youngest son) en had a lovely well working jacuzzi in the large bathroom.
Located in the quiet surroundings of Firenze, it was every night a warm welcome of quietness after a very crowdy but beautiful Firenze.
Very esthetic swimming pool integrated in the architecture.
Nice breakfast, food in the restaurant ok.
We will certainly return when we come back to Firenze! Bravo for the hotel ;o)

Room Tip: we got what we asked for!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We know Florence very well and work there frequently. On this occasion I was covering an event at a nearby castle and needed something for the right price; with a pool to cool off after work but not too far from my work location or Florence. Mulino di Firenze fitted all the above criteria and was duly booked
We werent dissappointed. I had to dash off to work as soon as I got there but the staff made sure my wife felt safe and welcome and was well looked after. Emilio at the bar was fantastic and a real gentleman; the restaurant was good with an abundant breakfast for me and equally good dinner options. The room was lovely (although a bit more drawer space for clothes would be good)
The only slight drawbacks were the minor works that were taking place when we were there but as these were going to enhance the hotel they didnt bother us too much as the workmen were always respectful and polite and werent there all the time.
It would be great to have the pool open earlier than 9 a.m in the morning but again it is only a minor thing and would be useful if there was a mid afternoon shuttle back from Florence
Overall a great place to stay that I will probably use on a regular basis when I am working out there or if I am just there for leisure. It has that great combination of good customer service and great design to make you feel like you are in a lovely home. I think with a bit of 'fine tuning' this hotel will continue to be a favourite hotel for many visitors to Florence'

Room Tip: We love the rooms with river and pool views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

What a refreshing change from impersonal, large hotel chains. From booking to checkout the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient, replying promptly and helpfully to e-mail queries..
The room was very comfortable, quiet, furnished to a high standard, of a good size, with jacuzzi bath and views over the Arno. We were very pleased with the free wi-fi and shuttle bus service to the city, and overall nothing was overstated in the brochure.
The restaurant was to a high standard, by no means overpriced, and the service of the friendly staff added to the experience. The buffet breakfast exceeded expectations and again the staff were very attentative and nothing was too much trouble for them.
The pool is of a good size for the hotel, and for the duration of our stay was never crowded; it was also very welcome after long, hot arty days in the city. We also found the hotel very convenient for access to the Rome/Bolognia/Pisa motorways without having to negotiate the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

This was the first stop on my honeymoon after i got married in sorrento. This was the one hotel i splashed out on as i knew we would be exhausted. We arrived to be greeted by a rude receptionist who pointed us in the general direction of our room. we i opened the door to say i was disappointed is taking it lightly. we were put in a small dark dull room with a small bathroom and broken wardrobe. my view was a bit empty swimming pool which was being cleaned for my whole visit. That set me off as one of the reason i booked the hotel was the pool. I ended out in tears so my husband got us a new room, the room it self was just as bad but the view was nicer so i bit my lip and unpacked. The offer of the free shuttle wasnt as good as it seemed,. there were only 3 in and 3 back so ended out spending money on cabs at lot. The reason i give this hotel an average rather then poor was the restaurant was great as were the staff there. the barman and also a male receptionist was also nice but wouldnt recommened this to anyone. when your a newly wed you dont expect to cry on your honeymoon which is what this hotel made me do......

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
mulinofirenze, Direttore at Hotel Mulino di Firenze, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We are deeply sorry if your stay has not been of your satisfaction. I have to apologize for the swimming pool which was only opened on May 31st but...the Mulino is a special hotel in a very special position very near the Arno river and the battle against the Arno sometimes is difficult.
The pool is located exactly where the river was passing through the mill and when preparing it for the new season we discovered a damaged wall which took more than expected for the recovery. I am sure my reservations office was offering to use the pool of our sister hotel nearby with free transfer (as stated in others reviews). That was a problem for a week and we are sorry if this was causing so many problems to your stay.
I was indeed surprised of the rest of your complain: never had a complain about rude staff, nor for room in bad conditions (you are mentioning a broken wardrobe...we have no rooms which had such a problem).
Finally the shuttle bus.It is clear indicated that we have service in the morning and afternoon (not in the evening where it's easier to park the car in the city). It's a service which our client love and it's for free! Sorry but I could not agree on that.

Best regards.
Giancarlo Carniani
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This hotel was amazing, both for the quality of the accommodation and the attention of the staff. It's out of the main city of area of Florence (short bus or taxi trip), on the edge of the river, all brand new but looks like it's been there for centuries. If we'd know how good it would be, we would have used it as a base and gone by train to Venice, Rome etc. Our room was brilliant and the restaurant was also very good and not at all expensive. B&B breakfast in Italy can be a bit sparing, but here there was plenty! Plenty of parking too, all secure and undercover. Would we go there again? Certainly!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Wow, what a great place. The pictures don't do it justice. Getting there was a tad confusing, as others have mentioned - you go past the tiny village area, turn right onto a wall-lined road, make a few lefts, and there is the hotel. Very spacious parking area, and felt secure too. Underground walkway to hotel was very intriguing as well. The tranquility of the place was amazing. We had a triple room - me, wife, daughter - and it had plenty of space and a great bathroom with a spa tub and fantastic rain-style shower head. Windows that fully opened to enjoy the serenity and the sounds of the waterfall, even in the bathroom. Free wifi (via passwords good for 24 hours), though the wifi was sometimes spotty. Had to re-log in a few times, but it wasn't the worst we have seen :) The shuttle to town was nice, and we took a cab back since it was going to be late. This will be on our short list of places we can't wait to return to in Italy. Next time we'll stay longer and do nothing but relax!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Mulino di Firenze? Share your experiences!