“Best restaurant we went to in Florence” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #576 of 1,969 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: TWO YOUNG COUSINS, TOMMASO AND FRANCESCO, OPENED UP THIS TRATTORIA IN SAN LORENZO AREA, WITH THE PURPOSE OF BEING A "NON-TURISTIC" PLACE IN A TOURISTIC AREA. FOLLOWING IN "CAMBI'S STEP, THEY MAKE TRADITIONAL RECIPES AND GENUINE FOOD, TYPICAL TUSCAN CUISINE. HOMELY AND FINE ATMOSPHERE.
Dublin, Ireland
“Best restaurant we went to in Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Food here was excellent. Not your typical Italian pizza/pasta; we got a beef stew dish that had been marinated in red wine and slow cooked, and a chicken casserole that were both delicious. Staff were friendly and explained the menu to us. Drinks were reasonably priced.
Would definitely recommend the restuarant, the best place we ate in Florence.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Ann Arbor, MI
“Good ribolitta, disco music”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Rainy night in Florence, so my daughter and I went with Rick Steve recommendation not far from hotel to try the ribolitta. It was enjoyed but Crostini Toscana was not as expected (wishing I had read other reviews first). Expecting pate as seen in mercato, but big chunks of livers, which were tasty but overwhelming. Service was so-so, with the waiter seeming annoyed with my attempts at Italian (menu was Italian on one side, English on the other, and I got it, he spoke English too). My 17-year daughter gave it an thumbs up for the beef stracotto and disco music.

Rome
“Great "Fiorentina" steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The place is very nice, the service is kind and professional and the Fiorentina steak for four people (two adults and two 12 year old kids) was great. We dined close to one of the big windows and the view was very nice. When you reserve, ask to be seated close to one of the windows, it's worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Quezon City, Philippines
“Best pork steak ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I loved that this restaurant was right in front of our hotel and that it was so classy in an unpretentious sort of way. Best pork steak I've had in my life. If you want to have a quiet, relaxing dinner with family and friends, this place is a must-try.

Visited May 2012
San Diego, California
“A good restaurant near the Medici Chapels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Following the recommendations of both Rick Steves and various other guidebooks on Florence (as well as other TripAdvisor reviewers), we decided to give the Trattoria a try. I’d have to say that our overall impression was that it was good, but not the memorable meal that many seemed to have had.

For starters, we tried the Fried Artichoke Hearts and the Bruschetta with Liver Pate. The artichokes were stellar with a light tempura-like coating (not batter dipped) and quickly fried. Delicious! The liver pate was really just the opposite. First, it wasn’t a “liver pate” as I know it (i.e. as in a pate de foie gras). The rather unappetizing slurry of dark brown chicken livers which were way too salty oozed over the sides of the bruschetta. Not good.

Our entrees were also of the “ho hum” variety. My dinner partner sampled the gnocchi with tomato and mozzarella. Her response: “forgettable.” I tried the Stracotto di manzo alla Fiorentina con patate in umido (a house specialty) which turned out to be nothing close to what I imagined (a beef and potato stew). For the most part it was a rather fatty Swiss Steak with tomato sauce and parsley potatoes on the side. Once again, the sauce was much too salty. We each had mixed green salads that were quite enormous (one could easily be shared by two diners).

On the upside were the very nice Chianti wines selected with the help of our waiter. One was a Chianti Classico Villa Calcinaia which we both liked very much. The other was a Caccia al Piano Bolgheri ... a wine with a lot of body that benefits from a little extra time in the glass.

The Trattoria certainly redeemed themselves with their desserts. We shared a Panna Cotta and a Chocolate Souffle, both of which came drizzled with a strawberry sauce and warm chocolate. Talk about decadent!

Despite the highs and lows, this was a good restaurant. Portions were ample and prices quite reasonable. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. The ambiance and location right next to the Medici Chapels made this an easy restaurant to find. I guess my advice would be to take care in what you order.

• Visited February 2013