“An Unusually Designed Building Interior Housing a Large Collection of Very Varied Artwork and Artefacts” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Museo Bardini

Ranked #48 of 225 Attractions in Florence
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The museum is named after its creator, Stefano Bardini (1854-1922), the most authoritative Italian antiquarian, who transformed his collection into a museum.The Museo Bardini houses over 2,000 items, including sculptures, paintings and the applied arts, from ancient art to the eighteenth century, with the majority from Middle Ages and Renaissance. Among the most significant works are the Madonna della Mela and the Madonna dei Cordai by Donatello, Saint Michael Archangel by Antonio del Pollaiolo.
London, UK
105 attraction reviews
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Museo Stefano Bardini is my joint '12th place' attraction in Florence, of those I visited - it is one of those few I have grouped together in my 'unpopularity' list, due to them being disappointing and not provoking any great interest from me....

That is not to say these isn't a LOT here that would not be of interest to others - so do read on...

The museum is housed in what looks like a relatively small building located on the southern riverside road about half way between the base of the Piazzale Michelangelo scenic hillside walk and Ponte Vecchio (making it perhaps a handy stop-off enroute). It sits on a corner and the entrance is on the southern side, away from what seems to be the obvious place for it ! The building is quite bland, but inside opens up a lot and it is bright/cleanly decorated (it's recently had a renovation) and there is a lot to see.

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my recent 6 full-day visit to see the sights of Florence. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile - I hope it is of interest and use to you and I hope all of my individual reviews/photos get posted properly as I know from past experience that the Trip Advisor submission process sometimes, incorrectly, 'blocks' them despite me being a so-called 'Senior Contributor'.....

Just before covering my personal views of the museum, please note that as official information sources can change and the Internet links at the top of each attraction webpage on Trip Advisor can be wrong (or even absent !) I deal with visitor information/ticketing etc in the dedicated section for the attraction in my TA Trip List. This is because I have sole-control over that, can add Internet links and can edit/update it with ease to reflect changes (reviews cannot be amended after they're posted). It might also contain photos/video links if they fail to get posted with this review or on this webpage....

The entrance fee is a relatively pricey EU5, so I think potential visitors might want to be sure it is really for them...

Internally, the building house has a somewhat haphazard layout, over several levels, which actually gives it a bit of character - there are circuitous routes, oddly-placed stairways and dead ends to keep you busy trying to ensure you see everything; I occasionally felt a bit lost and several times unintentionally re-visited a room !

Most of the rooms have quite plainly decorated rooms, since the emphasis on what you should see either hangs from them or resides somewhere on the floor area in cabinets/on pedestals for example. The range of artefacts is extensive (2000+ according to their website) - covering sculptures, paintings, what is referred to as 'applied arts', precious collections of medals, bronze figures, oriental rugs, splendid fifteenth-century chests and a small (but apparently) very important armoury.

Unfortunately, I found only a few items of interest - but when I did they were quite special. I certainly think there is much here that would be of great interest to others - so I suggest you either go or explore the official website 'Photo Gallery' (covered in my Trip List 'Visitor Information' section for the museum) to get a better idea of what is on show and decide if it is....

I think that those attracted to this museum could easily spend in excess of 2 hours wandering around and perusing the artefacts/rooms; As it didn't really attract me, I got around everything in less that 30mins !

Visited February 2012

Florence, Italy
58 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, eclectic collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Excellent sculptures, textiles, medieval artifacts- a wonderful museum to visit. This was once a private collection.

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Little Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Wonderful little museum. I had an apartment opposite this museum and visited it on a whim. The entrance was about 5 euros per person. This was easily my favourite museum in Florence. It has no more than a dozen rooms and each room is different. One room was full of medieval armour, swords and a range of weapons, another paintings, another carpets. There were three fabulous ceilings on display as well. Stefano Bardini was a dealer in antiquities who seems to have saved the best bits for himself. When I visited there were no more than five or six people walking around and it was easy to see everything. None of the crowds of the Uffizi. All in all a very good place to visit, very interesting.

Visited October 2011
Darnestown
35 attraction reviews
“A fascinating special museum for those of us interested in architectural pieces”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We had the privilege of seeing the Bardini Museum on White Night in Florence, April 30, and with only a few people in the museum could really enjoy each room immensely. Beautiful pieces, designs, architectural elements, and collections of items make up this specialized museum that fortunately has been restored to a former glory.

Visited April 2011