“Like staying in a simple modest italian neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

Central Hostel Florence
Via Faenza 46r (red) | Firenze, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #160 of 214 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Like staying in a simple modest italian neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I like it. Italian people are very expressive. So I don't bother when they talk loud outside my room. It is just the way they are. The room is clean and the location is great, that's enough for me. The price is very affordable. I stayed 4 nights and enjoyed my staying. Their staff Matteo is also helpful.

• Stayed October 2013

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very, very basic old school hostel.
Basic shared (non-mixed) dorms, sharing bathroom.
No air con, which was horrible in 36 degrees and humidity of Florence in July.
Very hard to get any sleep with people coming and going in the shared dorm at all hours (admittedly this included me).
No facilities.
Hosts don't speak English.
Cheap (€20 a head).
Available on the day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Usa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Location is about all this hostel has got going for it. It's close to the main train station and attractions. The owners, however, are somewhat rude and unhelpful. I was given the keys & left to discover rooms on my own. When I asked whether the place was locked at night the response I got was 'yes, at various times but you have a key to the gate and door' - I didn't see any gates nor was I shown any. The bathroom was fairly clean but stank like an old ashtray, the noise carried throughout the building and the 'common room' was often used by the owners to watch their tv shows at a loud volume.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Absolutely awful. Honestly.

My girlfriend and I showed up and they put us in a different room then we had reserved and told us we would be there for all three nights. Since it had a bathroom en suite (which we had not paid for) we were excited. The next morning, however, they demanded we pack up and switch rooms. Ok...

The room we stayed in wasn't TOO bad (aside from the broken lights and heat), but the actual place itself was miserable. Right outside our window was construction which began promptly at 6:00 each morning. Worse than that, however, were the managers. The two individuals who ran the place were extremely rude. They were up until the middle of the night yelling and running around and then were up at the crack of dawn the next morning yelling at each other down the halls. I'm a heavy sleeper and their constant yelling kept me up.

Worse yet was their response to our discomfort. We were extremely cold in our room and were only provided one thin sheet and a thin comforter. Seeing a closet stocked full of blankets, we asked if we could borrow another. They said absolutely not.

On three separate occasions, my girlfriend was stopped in the hall and yelled at in Italian by the woman running the hotel. Not knowing the language, we have no clue what she was saying, but she would not stop.

In all, we were absolutely miserable here. From uncomfortable sleep to problems with money (we had paid a portion in advance but they denied it), this place must be avoided. It is in a decent location, but it is not worth it. Stay anywhere else. It is just a bad hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I spent a night at central hostel Florence along with a friend. We had made an online booking in a 5 bed dorm, so upon arrival we were handed the keys and a map of Florence. The room was ok, not something really special but not bad either. The bathroom, which was shared among a couple of dorms was acceptably clean, though it could have been a bit cleaner. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
The hostel has a courtyard with tables and chairs where it is possible to sit and socialize with the rest of the visitors. It also offers free linen, which is definitely a plus. However, its best feature is its location. It is really close to the train station (Firenze S.M.N) and to the city centre with all the main sights and right next to a supermarket.
You may find the numbering of the buildings rather confusing, but you can just ask, the locals can help you with that.
As a disadvantage, I would mention that the owner does not speak English, which can make the communication part rather confusing, but this is quite common in Italy, so you should be prepared anyway!
Summarizing, Central hostel Florence was quite cheap, acceptably clean and really conveniently located. If you do not speak italian some communication problems are possible, but I would generally recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My fiancee and I booked a room here for two nights around new years and when we arrived, the manager said the room we booked had no electricity.. How does a room have no electricity but is available to rent? He took us down the street to his "friends" place, which had no internet as advertised and was an old place with shared toilets. skip this place

• Stayed December 2010

Been to Central Hostel Florence? Share your experiences!