“Very special hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 461 hotels in Florence
Cambridge, MA
“Very special hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I'm writing this review in bed at the Hotel Palazzo Guadagni and am still delighted, after four days, to be in this magnificent place.

The process of choosing a hotel is always such a pleasure. I'd decided I wanted to be in Oltrarno, away from the buzz of the Centro Storico, and in a 'real' neighborhood, and the descriptions of this old palazzo really appealed to me. I am so glad, now, to be away from the tourist center and to have booked four or five months ahead to get just the right room.

As you will see on their website and from other reviews, there are several kinds of rooms on different floors of the building, each different and with a special view. I chose Room One, the Silver Room, on the first floor of the building and with ceilings easily measuring 30 feet overlooking the Piazza Santo Spirito.

The room is quite old-fashioned, and that's what I love about it. It's grand in a plain way, if that makes sense, with a domed tromp l'oeil ceiling and huge glass doors opening to the balcony and piazza below. This scale, and the view, makes the room feel very special, indeed.

Mind you, the room (and the rest of the hotel) is quite old-fashioned, and that's the beauty of it. You feel as if you're living in a past era, in a bit of faded luxury, a rare opportunity, in my view. Furniture is in keeping with the surroundings and is perfectly maintained and comfortable. The bathroom's fittings were spotless and well-maintained, if a bit old-fashioned in their ensemble.

I found the breakfast offerings to be more than satisfactory with fresh fruits, fruit salad, yogurts, breads, pastry, cakes, juices,cappuccino, jams and honey, etc. It is served in a lovely dining room on the top floor of the building by two lovely people who could not be more helpful.

And yes, the views from the loggia up on that same floor are quite stunning, especially on a sunny day.

I must add that yes, there is quite some noise coming from the piazza: the market setting up in the morning, cleaning trucks, and then young people drinking and carousing at the local bars until 3 AM. While this was frustrating, it comes with the territory and, well, what can you do? If noise is a concern, you may not want to face the piazza.

Communication with the hotel before my arrival, as well as with the very charming Lara upon arrival, has been a pleasure. Rita and her colleague at the desk/breakfast room were also very helpful in making all dinner reservations (essential) for the week. There are lots of wonderful places to eat within a five minute walk of the hotel.

As you can see, I couldn't really be happier with this wonderful hotel or my stay here. It has been a real highlight of my stay in Florence and, I would add, is one of my favorite hotels ever. I would very gladly stay here again to experience it all again.

Thank you so much, Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, and best very best luck!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ferdinando2, Responsabile reception at Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guests,
We take this opportunity to thank you once again for your choice and for sending your evaluation, describing so well the hotel .
The staff will be glad to welcome you again in Florence.
Kind Regards

753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was supposed to come here the year before & unfortunately had to cancel so when I finally got here, I was happy that it didn't diss appoint. The hotel is in a palazzo, so you first have to go through a regular lobby, take an elevator up & then the hotel lobby. Everyone was very nice & helpful & helped me carry my suitcase up the different set of stairs, this is an old palazzo so it's not just straight & narrow, which is part of the charm.
Very clean & large room, I wasn't facing the square so it was very quiet so if you're a light sleeper do request not to be on the square.

I also liked that it was across the river from all the tourist insanity but still just 10 minute walk at the most. Many restaurants to pick from as we'll.

The wifi is a little weak away from the loggia & the lobby but the loggia is so great, that I stayed there as long as possible. One of my friends had a room near the loggia & the wifi in their room was just fine.

I definitely would come back to this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
We're happy to let you know that the wifi has improved.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was in this hotel with my boyfriend a few weeks ago by a recommendation of a friend, so I was expecting to stay in a wonderful place. I found it very well located in the center but the noise from the square during the night was too much so I couldn't sleep at all.Breakfast was simple and poor. The staff was friendly but I really expected more for the money I've paid! I certainly do not recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the square side to avoid the noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ferdinando2, Proprietario at Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear guest,
we are very sorry to know that you were not pleased about your stay and that you had a problem with the noise coming form the square.
We did everything possible to solve this problem,in fact all the rooms are exterior facing and are equipped with double windows and double glazed. Unfortunately, sometimes, large windows are not closed properly and this can create the problem you reported.
As for the breakfast, after your warning, we arranged to add cheeses, ham and cold cuts at our buffet. In any case, the buffet consists of: milk, tea, Italian coffee, American coffee, various types of yogurt, fruit salad, cheese, pastries, biscuits, cereal, eggs, jam, chocolate, honey and fruit juices .
Sincerely
Ferdinando
North Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Palazzo is a wonderful old property - 500 years old to be exact! The location is less than a 15 minute walk to the Ponte Veccio, the Duomo, and other must see attractions. The rooftop bar has a perfect view of the Piazza San Spiritu. The staff was vey helpful with restaurant recommendations, taxis, and making us feel welcome. But it is not a place for the weak as there are a lot of stairs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor as you will avoid many flights of stairs. The rooms on the Piazza...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your choice and for sending your evaluation: we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Regards
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our room was changed from our original booking which was on the ground floor, to one on the first. Poorly furnished and very inconvenient for the breakfast room which was up several very cold flights of stairs. The only good thing was the loggia. Certainly not all the rooms are from the second floor upwards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
we are sorry that the room you are allocated was not to your liking, unfortunately at the time of your booking there were no rooms available, except a small apartment on the ground floor with two windows overlooking the Piazza S. Spirito. When there is a situation like this, we always notify the customer what is it and leave it to him to decide whether or not to confirm the room. Surely the top floor rooms are the most scenic and more convenient because the same floor as reception and the breakfast room without having to take the elevator.
If you should come again, face us this happened and we will try to accommodate you in the best way to remedy this.
Sincerely
Ferdinando
Lincs UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at this lovely little hotel in mid February, for 4 nights. We were on the top floor (essentially the garret) and the weather was cold. I was concerned that with traditional and authentic terracotta tiles and bare walls, the room would be cold and unwelcoming. Quite the opposite- it was idyllic! Lots of space, a wonderful rooftop view over to the Pitti. Palace, a feeling of peace and tranquility that I have seldom felt in such a city centre location.
This hotel is perfect for those of us who want an authentic experience at a very reasonable price. The staff were friendly but not overbearing, most spoke English well and we were made to feel very welcome but left very much to our own devices which is what we prefer. The loggia is stunning, and the major rooms equally impressive. The bar directly across the square is ideal for pre dinner drinks, while the trattorias round and about are equally accommodating and very well priced.
I found the breakfast rather dull and repetitive as there was little variety on offer. All in all however, I would return tomorrow if time and funds allowed!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ferdinando2, Responsabile reception at Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for sending your review. We're really glad that you spent such a wonderful time at Palazzo Guadagni.
About breakfast, we'll try to change it.
we really hope to see you soon again
Best Regards,
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Hotel Palazzo Guidagni is located within the walls of an ancient building which has been beautifully maintained. The rooms are all different, and each is special. We stayed in the family suite, which has two bedrooms seperated by huge, very old wood double doors. The ceilings were high and coved, and the floors were beautiful mosaic stone - obviously very old, but very beautiful. The bathroom was small and older, but everything worked perfectly, with plenty of hot water and water pressure. Breakfast was good - boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and juices. Be advised that there are many stairs. There is an elevator, but it is very small and does not go to the very top. Parking is off site and expensive - nearest is a 5-10 minute walk - and cost us 21 euro per day for a tiny car. The hotel shares the building with a school (you will never hear them), and rooms are located on different floors, with the reception and breakfast room at the top of the building. Don't miss the gorgeous balcony on the top floor! We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Family room is really two rooms and is huge, but no view. Be sure to request information about park...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ferdinando2, Responsabile reception at Hotel Palazzo Guadagni, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
It's a pleasure for us to welcome your review and we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again when in Florence.
Best Regards
Martina

Been to Hotel Palazzo Guadagni? Share your experiences!