“A really disappointing meal” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Typical family run florentine trattoria from 1957
Chicago, Illinois
“A really disappointing meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just returned from dinner at Trattoria Armando and I have to honestly say I am really bummed I wasted a meal in Florence at this establishent. After three spectacular dinners in other trattorias we walked away from this place really disappointed. The energy in the room is very off - although it was filled mostly by Italians - there was little warmth or ambiance. Our primary waiter was not overly friendly or rude - he was neutral. However, he struggled to make any recommendations and it seemed like he couldn't get away from our table fast enough. Our starter of pecorino cheese with mushrooms and potatoes was very good but it was all down hill from there. My pasta with eggplant was watery and bland with the pasta over-cooked. My companion's ravioli was really under seasoned - as was his chicken meatball entree. My main of pork tenderloin with onions was cooked with a cold red center - which I found really unappetizing. The wet breadcrumb coating had no flavor at all nor did the oily pile of onions on my plate. I eat all over the world, and am an avid cook, and honestly I have to say I have never seen pork served served so rare - pink I get - but cold red not so much. No one checked to see how our meals were after they dropped them off. In fact we didn't see a server again for a long while. Another server did end up taking my entree off the bill when she saw I did not eat it - but at that point it was too late. Except for this kind gesture the service was consistently inattentive - no inquired if we wanted another bottle of wine when we finished the first or really seemed to care that we were there at all. This seems strange since they proudly display their trip advisor certificate of quality in the center of their restaurant. Perhaps they were having an off night. I own a small business - so I hate writing negative reviews. But after traveling a quarter of the way across the world for a dining experience, and relying on high trip advisor ratings, I was sorry I wasted a dinner at Trattoria Armando.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Table side with the Owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Trattoria Armando was recommended by the staff at the Executive Hotel and proved to be the dining highlight of our trip. We started with the Duck Liver, then the Wild Boar Paperadelle & Risotto, then the Pork Loin with plums & stuffed Chicken. We had an excellent wine (Millepasse?) and the service was perfect. The room was small, approximately 15 tables, maybe 45 seats. The room was bright with no music but charmingly energetic. The decor is amazing with countless signed headshots of famous Opera singers. The owner is very mild mannered but proud to have the family owned business since 1957. We loved it - likely to return except for the fact that Florence has so many restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
“Very tasty food, possibly better around though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stumbled upon this restaurant while walking from the hotel the first evening. Quite a snug little restaurant as most are in Florence, and surroundings are ok but nothing to write home about.

The food, however, was simple but very good maybe just a little pricey for the slight basicness. Enjoyed other restaurants more, but staff were very friendly and attentive and certainly by no means was our visit anything other than enjoyable. Good but not the best! Probably would suggest evening meals rather than lunch as only a couple of tables outside which were right on the roadside.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Remember to make the reservation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Lovely place with beautiful food. Tried steak and pastas, dishes are tasty while a bit pricey. Nice place for a good dinner in Florence, while it is possible to find same quality food at lower cost.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Family run trattoria. We had enough of bread after so many days in Italy, so I informed the server (or owner) that I do not want the bread that comes with the dinner. I didn't mind to pay for the charges (Eur 3 per head). After 3 mins the daughter came out from the kitchen with bread to our table, the man told him we did not want bread. The daughter showed funny face and put the bread on our table. She must have thought that we were stingy and wanted to save the Eur 3 per head charges. Food was normal compared to Mostrino right across the street, which I much preferred. Good ambience and internal decor. By the way, we didnt touch the bread but paid for it. Food wasted.

• Visited March 2013