“Lovely first lunch in Florence” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #346 of 2,059 Restaurants in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Lovely first lunch in Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Arrived in Florence just after midday and our hotel recommended this osteria as it was close by and offered good food and good value for money. We were really pleased by the recommendation as the service was prompt, the food excellent and it was, indeed, good value for money. We just had a main course each - both were 8 euros. Not bad for gnocchi with truffle sauce and papadelle with wild boar sauce - the latter was absolutely delicious authentic Florentine cooking. We sat outside in the narrow street and enjoyed a lovely lunch. Would recommend.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“Great Risotto”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

While we stayed 7 nights in Florence, we visited this restaurant 2 times. I really liked risotto with 3 difference cheese and asparagus but pasta with claim was average. My husband dishes were also average. I did not care for Sea bass dish with tomato sauce that my husband ordered. We end up coming to this restaurant was close to our hotel but we find other restaurants are lots better. First visit, they served us Lemon cello after dinner and second visit we did not get lemon cello after dinner.
Service was just average. Foods were just average.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Decent restaurant in the middle of Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Have to say that our dining experience in Florence (and Italy) was seriously underwhelming. In fact, apart from one Gelato shop, I hardly want to return to any of the places we ate at.

With this one exception. Osteria del Porcellino was decent. Not outstandingly good, but good, decent food at a reasonable price. Having seen so many places that want to charge 20 euros for half a bowl of spaghetti, it was a pleasant experience to visit a restaurant that does not try to rip you off.

The food - the terrine of eggplant starter in particular was memorable. My favourite vegetable, so I'm quite particular about it. This was done beautifully, with surprisingly few additional ingredients, just the eggplant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful, authentic cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My first exposure to authentic Italian cuisine came on a trip to Florence, and of all the places where I ate (a LOT of places), Osteria del Porcellino was hands down the best. I returned three times, and every single dish was crazy wonderful.

The atmosphere is very family oriented, and the owners and waiters visit with you and ask about your home country. This osteria made me a fan of gnocchi with a single serving. Always a pasta devotee, gnocchi just seemed a bit gummy and too starchy for more than two or three bites, but Osteria del Porcellino's gnocchi was a sensory experience. I can't think of it without my mouth watering. Another favorite is the panna cotta with chocolate sauce, and the boar ragu. Basically everything is fantastic.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
“Family Style Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a little trouble finding this place and even ended up entering through the back door, but trust us, it was worth the search. My husband had porcini mushroom risotto followed by roasted cinghiale (wild boar) chops with potatoes that he thoroughly enjoyed while I had this bean dish in tomato sauce followed by sea bass filets in a tomato and caper sauce. Both of our meals were delicious. We even splurged and had dessert which are all made on site. One lemon cheese cake and an apple and almond tart later and we knew we'd have to write an excellent review for this great little restaurant. If you make it to Florence, don't miss it!

Visited October 2013