“What a very generous host!” 5 of 5 stars

Via Faenza, 79blue, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #59 of 553 Florence B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“What a very generous host!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent one night at Il Cielo--the first night of a fifteen-day sojourn in Italy. Because of an airline snafu, I arrived six hours after I said I would. I had no way to communicate with the hotel and, at six-thirty, found the door locked. (They had urged me to let them know when I would arrive.) The man in the little shop next door telephoned them, and the host (GianCarlo, I think) said he had waited all day, but would now return as swiftly as he could. I didn't have to wait long. He was quick to reassure me that my tardiness was not a big problem, and then obligingly carried my suitcase to the top floor and showed me into a very clean, quiet room. Il Cielo is very conveniently situated near the Santa Maria Novella train station. It is quiet and lovely. The breakfast the host served the next morning suggested that all kinds of attention had been paid to details; it even included a fresh homemade cheesecake. The hotel is small, which I enjoyed. I think there are only three rooms. The one caveat--something the hotel itself can do nothing about--is the fairly narrow and steep stairway. For youthful travelers, and spry ones, probably no problem. Bifocals and an occasionally unsteady step might make the going up and coming down a little bit tricky. A wonderful place to stay! (Yes, the bathroom situation could be a bit complicated, but I, like 2013 Travel_Companion, found I did not have to wait. In fact, the host offered me the exclusive use of the further bathroom, so that the guests in the other occupied room and I would each have essentially a "private" bathroom.) Again, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The owner was one of the easiest people to get along with I have met. And, the place was super great to hang out in.

The breakfast that came with the room was better than most of the other breakfasts that we had at other Bed and Breakfast hotels. And, the place having only three rooms made for a substantially more intimate feel. For example, there was ample space and time available to lounge in the living room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The B&B has three rooms so it is very small, quiet and personal. The bathroom is shared so if you don't like that do not book here. You have to walk through the very small dining area to go to the bathroom. Although shared, I never needed to wait for the bathroom at any point.

The bathroom ofcourse is small. They provide a towel. There are some shampoo bottles in the shower area that you can use. You have to carry your own shower gel/soap. Would have been nice if there was a shower gel bottle too along with the shampoo.

Breakfast was excellent! So fresh and delicious. The jams had an amazing real taste to them. And they served fresh red cherries that were in season -- totally delicious!! Everything is available in small quantities but it is all enough and you can always ask for more.

Alice and Giancarlo are both very pleasant and helpful. They helped me carry my bag up all three floors and take it down which was very kind of them. So don't worry about the 3 floor climb if you are booking here.

The location is very good. Less than 5 mins from the main train station and walking distance across all important sights of Florence. That is a big plus point.

Only wish they would have had water available in the room / dining area free of cost. Also, they are very helpful but would not be able to help you much with respect to Florence & around Florence tourism. You have to figure that out yourself (which is very easy to do but don't depend on asking the B&B).

Also, the bed mattress is very soft. I was okay with it but if you don't like soft sinking into mattresses then you should be aware.

It is small and basic but it was the best I could find for the price of the room.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms so there is nothing to really select.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I well positioned B&B within walking distance to the train station and main tourist sights, but also a quite retreat allowing for a good nights sleep and relaxation.
The breakfast was excellent and more than just the usual breakfasts we have had previously in Italy. There was cereal, a good selection of fruit, jam and also delicious pastry everyday.
Staff are friendly and more than willing to help carry your bags up the stairs.
Air conditioned and clean

I would return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Read all the nice reviews of this B&B before booking and it sort of disappointed me.

No doubt this BB has a nice cosy feel with good artistic touch to it, the place was not as clean as it seemed on the pictures. I stayed in the double room with attached toilet and I was surprised to see "bundles" of dust below my bed. So was the bathroom which showed negligence in cleaning. I somehow have the impression that just the visible area is cleaned, and for my case, dust being "pushed" under. Perhaps i missed out some info but was disappointed that this room comes with attached bath but not the toilet.

On the plus side, location to train station and Duomo is good, but it's far away from the galleries. Breakfast surprisingly turned out quite good and Betta displayed great attentiveness to your needs.

In all, i will not recommend this BB to my friends. We saw many other hotels where some 3 star hotels go at 120/ night. So for 90 euros/ night at Il Cielo, we find it expensive for being located on 3rd floor with no lift and the above minus points mentioned.

Room Tip: Just note the room with attached bath has its toilet separated outside and shared with another guest...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GiaGen, Proprietario at B&B Il Cielo, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We are sorry to read your disapproval.
Only two clarifications (the other readers need):
-The rooms you book are ALWAYS thoroughly descripted by us before booking, and we never omit anything about the bathrooms.
-Although "faraway" is a relative concept, we are not far at all from the Galleries. One can have different needs or limits, but a 0,7 - 1km range (distance from us to Accademia Gallery and to Uffizi Gallery = 10 and 15 min. walking) is assumed to be a very reasonable distance for any walkable person... if then one is supposed to be here for a sightseeing (!!).
I apologize for the other objections. Personally I have to say that I was away for a few days and Betta (who replaced me for the first time) probably didn't pay so much attention to certain things. We promise our selves not to make it happen again...

Anyway, I profit of this review to say (it wants to be a suggestion also for the other travellers) that, even though we have such good instruments and platforms (like T.A.) to share our experiences with other people, it doesn't mean that one cannot directly tell/ask/complain before! Like... "We think our room is not properly cleaned-up, could you please provide?"
Still sorry, hope you'll want to come back one day.
Nieder-Olm, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Il Cielo is a really lovely place. It's located very central, close (5 mins walking) to the railway station SMN, but resides on a quiet road with windows facing the tiny inner courtyard. It's very clean and heartily decorated, the staff (thanks, Elisa!) are happy to give tips and insights to Florence's best places to visit /do / eat. The breakfast is remarkably excellent, prepared with homemade jams and fresh fruits. Definitely an excellent place to stay in Florence and a top value for money.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Il Cielo was a truly wonderful little bed and breakfast that added to the charm of our florence experience. The owner giancarlo was diplomatic and kind, offering a welcome reception and thorough check in. He offered us maps where he noted locations of recommended places and restaurants but the location of the property is absolutely prime. The breakfasts were more than adequate with a fresh local pastry each morning (a pear and chocolate pastry that is a local speciality which was amazing) as well as an assortment of fruits, fresh juices, cheese, jams, muesli and wonderful coffee. Our room, one of three, was clean and beautiful, with tasteful and quirky interiors and beautiful art works. Fantastic experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to B&B Il Cielo? Share your experiences!