“A wonderful location, great hotel but not perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #19 of 459 Hotels in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful location, great hotel but not perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in August when it was swelteringly hot. We had no problems finding it, just followed the map. The hotel is in an amazing location on a small hill overlooking Florence. The view from the terrace is one of the hotel's features. The gardens are beautiful and dotted with sofas where you can have an aperitif as the sun goes down although in summer you will need plenty of wasp and mosquito repellent.

We had booked a junior suite but were upgraded to the Ojetti suite right at the top, which has the benefit of its own terrace and large bright sitting area. The bedroom area was large, shady and cool, and the bathroom was fine, with enough space for a couple to fight over the fluffy towels after the shower. However this suite didnt have the old style and furnishings of the rest of the main building and I would liked to have seem a Dome view junior suite just to compare.

The front desk staff really are wonderful and very helpful indeed, and are the strength of the hotel. The staff at the bar and the restaurant are less reliable in our experience and one morning we were left alone at breakfast for over 30 minutes, and I had to chase them twice. Breakfast is a strange affair - you are offered a tray, with the same elements every day, fruit, yoghurt, muesli, breads, jams, cold meats and cheese. Apart from anything else it's such a waste. But I would have expected some variety each day.

The restaurant was similarly hit and miss, with patchy service. The food was often very good, sometimes just OK. We found out that their chef had left a few months earlier (in fact we went to his new restaurant which was stunning.)

The location of the pool is odd - you have to walk down through the gardens and around the driveway for a while to locate it - it took us about 3 minutes down and 5 back up, but it could be a struggle for anyone with walking difficulties. And even more strangely there is a quicker internal route down there but that is blocked off for guests ( I was actually told this by a member of staff!)

This really is a wonderful location on a perfect quiet hillside with easy access to town by shuttle bus or taxi. In the heat of summer its great to be able to escape the centre of this wonderful city.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the main building and facing the city
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A superb hotel on the edge of Florence. A little difficult to locate the entrance to the hotel, but once you are inside it is perfect. Extremely helpful staff - one of the concierges lent me his personal SatNav to help me find my way to the airport the next day! Lovely restaurant. The hotel shuttle bus is a trip of about 15 minutes to the centre of Florence. Terrific place. We shall stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the city
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hidden away as a private escape within the outskirts of Florence, it took a while for us to find the entrance to this amazing hotel (regardless of the SatNav!). However, once we drove up the winding driveway, we were warmly greeted by the staff who immediately sat us down outside to a glass of prosecco. The views in their gardens are incredible; situated on top of a hill, you can see a beautiful panoramic over parts of Florence. This was my first time to Italy, and we had booked through the hotel directly with a package offering us a complimentary room upgrade. Nothing was mentioned about this when we arrived, and we were taken to a lovely room (which was not the upgrade) with a separate office room and lovely bathroom. Unfortunately, during most evenings, the smell of sewage would sometimes drift in from the bathrooms (we found this along the corridors too), however it wasn't TOO pungent and is probably due to the humidity and the fact it is an old building. The room was always immaculately kept by the staff, as was the rest of the hotel, and there was always someone around to help if you needed anything and everyone was always smiley and happy to chat -- things I found to be something I really missed after we left Il Salviatino and went to stay at another hotel in Tuscany. They just weren't up to scratch in comparison! The best part of Il Salvatino were the late afternoons into the evening. The gardens are the best place to relax, with sofas and beds to enjoy drinks and amazing Italian nibbles. Members of staff suddenly appear out of nowhere and offer you drinks, the service is brilliant. During my stay, an excellent 3 piece jazz band played from sunset throughout the night which really made the atmosphere feel more like a private gig you could eat your meal to. The restaurant was also my favourite part of the entire hotel. The food, all home-made in their out-door kitchen, was sublime, with quite possibly the greatest grissini I'd ever tasted. One of the chefs serviced many tables all himself, taking the care and time to talk and get to know everyone. He soon learnt I'm a vegetarian so would prepare special dishes just for me, even when I only ordered one course, he would appear at my side with a tiny dish so I wouldn't sit empty handed during the other 3 courses. They also serve fresh home-baked bread every night, and an awesome array of desserts you pick and choose and get brought over to you. However, it's a pretty relaxed affair, if there isn't a member of staff around to help (they get very busy), you can serve yourself as many times as you like.
If you're travelling during August, like I did, you'd find yourself hovering around the pool. Although it's rather small, it certainly does the job. The temperature of the water is quite cold, and you'd have to get there early -- late morning preferably -- to beat the fight for the sun loungers. The spa is also an interesting one... I didn't go for any treatments but took a look inside the building. It consists of a small amount of gym equipment, oh and a bath, all in one room, which I couldn't really get my head around, but liked the idea of it all the same.
The hotel also has a massive library, floor to ceiling with books (mostly in Italian) which is open 24/7. They also have a fantastic breakfast service. I don't eat breakfast, so if you're heading down there solo, they WILL bring you breakfast for two people irrespective if you're just there by yourself, no matter how many times you tell them your friend/partner/child doesn't eat breakfast. Oh, and watch out for the wasps, there's a lot during August. And they like salt. A good tip would be to cover anything salty with a napkin and they won't bother you during breakfast time. Bring your mosquito repellent too, as they roam the gardens during sunset! It also gets quite cold in the evenings, so bring a jumper, but the hotel also have their own shawls to wrap yourself up with in case you get too cold.
There's a private minibus that can take you into Florence in just over 15 minutes, they drop you off and pick you up the same place every hour until half past midnight.
Overall, the stay was fantastic... and we did bring up the issue of the lack of room upgrade, which they swiftly resolved with a discount on our hotel bill. I will definitely go back there again!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This property is stunning and once you learn about the history behind it, is even more impressive. We had the entry level room and were extremely happy with the size, layout, bed, technology, bathroom and amenities.

The pool is beautiful and also great to lay out in the sun. It is only a 3 - 5 minute walk from the main hotel. We were happy with our breakfasts too. They have a shuttle bus that takes you into the main town of Florence every hour. The staff are lovely and really try hard to make you stay lovely. I have read some of the negative reviews and our experience was nothing like this. I believe this is definitely a 5 star establishment.

Room Tip: I would stay in the main part of the hotel. We were adivsied that these rooms have been cooling.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was our third trip to Florence and the first time we stayed here. I wish we had stayed here the previous two times. This hotel is a wonderful place to stay with large rooms (check out the views of the city) and a good restaurant. This is the kind of place you don’t want to leave once you get there. We kept our trips to the city short as we couldn’t wait to get back. And even though the hotel is close to the center of the city it is still quiet and peaceful. This is the place to stay in Florence.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I can also add that we had booked a table at the restaurant (not full) that evening, but decided to stay in town and eat. I tried to call - as evidenced by my call logfrom my phone- 5x over 2 hours. There was no answer! When we arrived back that eveing the manager stormed up to me and shouted at me in front of my parents and family. I showed him the phone log and he calmed down, but did not apologise. WE returnd to our rooms which were unmade up @1130 pm. This was the top place in the world for Adnrew Harper's Travel Guide? What a joke...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just spent a long weekend at Il Salviatino and had a great time.

On the positive side we found the things you look for in a luxury hotel were just right:

- The hotel itself is a beautiful grand villa with panoramic views over florence
- Service was really friendly, attentive, helpful and professional
- 3 breakfasts and diners on the terrace proved the food was pretty good to!

The gold star may be been up for grabs if the room was a little bigger (we were in no 40, which had great views, but was a little small)

Diner was a little expensive if you managed to get through all 4 courses, but if you book into a nice hotel like this, you knew that already right!?

All in all, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Salviatino? Share your experiences!