“The place to be” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 461 hotels in Florence
Manama, Bahrain
“The place to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I been in many hotels, but this is remarkable. Particular room and even it was raining for 2 days the atmosphere was still fantastic. The hotel is located just outside Florence, but it is the right choice. Free shuttle bus can bring you right in the city centre. An impressive park is surrounding the area. Sleeping is extremely quiet. Just the best cocktail for the best weekend. Very important was the attention of details which is essential for a hotel of this type.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The concept was brilliant - restored 15th century villa with modern amenities.
I would not, however, describe it as a luxury hotel.

All rooms were big, but really dark. The Melodia Suite that my mother stayed in was particularly so. The frescoes cannot be called beautiful.
Furnishings were sometimes strange, you have the feeling that they simply put random items there to fill up the space. Wardrobe space was inadequate.

The showers in both our rooms were ridiculous, requiring the user to either hold the shower-head with one hand, or crouch low. Did not try the bath as, for some obscure reason, it was located not in the bathroom but next to the bed.

Lunch and dinner at the restaurant was good . Breakfast buffet items tho, were not always fresh.

The service left much to be desired. Some staff were helpful but most were quite rude. Restaurant recommendations included some of the biggest tourist traps in the city.
Be prepared to have to convince the staff should you need any service/amenities sent to the room. Staff took a defensive stance when we complained about the slow service.

It was interesting to see Florence from atop a hill, and the gardens and building very pretty, especially at night.

All in all, you can tell that they are trying to place themselves in select category of hotels, but lack of attention to details have left them falling very short.The potential is there, idea is promising, but execution - terrible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

As many others have noted, the check in process is seamless and stress free, and much more akin to arriving at a private residence than a hotel. We were invited to enjoy a glass of prosseco on the terrace whilst our bags were taken to our room. The terrace itself is quite simply stunning, and in keeping with the rest of the hotel, is exquisitely furnished, offering views of the pristine gardens below and of the Duomo and central Florence in the distance.

I will not elaborate too much on the setting, decor and overall ambience of the hotel, as I believe that much of this can be garnered from the photos. Suffice to say that it sits comfortably amongst the very best from across the world in our experience.

We stayed in the Affresco suite, which did not fall short of expectations. The room manages to integrate modern features and styling without compromising the overall grandeur afforded by the 1800s fresco and ancient bath. I can say with little hesitation that this is one of the most elegant hotel rooms we have ever stayed in.

Some detail on the room:
*The lights in the room are remote controlled - you are provided two controllers.
*The bed features a hard mattress, linen blend sheets, and comfortable pillows (- however bedside plugs for charging phones at night are missing - it might just be me, and this will not be the first or last 5-star hotel suite with this issue, but i actually find it quite frustrating)
*The sofa is much bigger than perhaps the photos suggest - more than enough space for two people to lie (rather than sit) on.
*There are complimentary snacks/drinks laid out on a tray with an ice bucket - HOWEVER - NO FRIDGE..... (This was one of my only major gripes - and something that desperately needs to be addressed) - a nespresso machine is also provided.
*The wardrobe is smart and provides ample room for two for a short trip. We stayed for 3 nights/4 days and like many men, suffer my other half's tendency to pack about 3 times what might be considered appropriate/normal. As expected, half of the clothes did not leave the suitcase, however, should you be staying for over a week, you may have an issue with the wardrobe space.
*The (open plan) bathroom is quite frankly excellent. The ancient bath is big enough for two. The shower features both rain and handheld (both can be used simultaneously). There is also a bidet.
*There are mirrors everywhere (with a TV showing international channels and free movies hidden in one of them).

As this was our first visit to Florence, we were keen to try as many restaurants in and around town as possible, and so did not book for either lunch or dinner at the hotel. This may well have been a mistake. Particularly given that breakfast was fantastic, with more or less everything available on request, and all homemade on-site.

We had driven to the hotel from Pisa, so had the option of driving into town. We tried this first and found that once you have deciphered the best route to one of the garages, it is straightforward and actually quite convenient. Parking at the hotel itself is ample and adjacent to the main building.
We also made use of the hotel's shuttle bus on another occasion. This too is fine if you are not too fussed about timings, or planning your day around the shuttle timetable. As this did not work for us, we only used it on one occasion as it was about to leave as we exited the hotel. The drop off point is at the base of the Duomo - thus very convenient.
We used taxis to and from dinner every night. A taxi ride into town takes about 10 minutes and costs anywhere between 15 and 25 euros depending on time, traffic, destination and whether the taxi has been booked or hailed down. We found taxis very easy to come by throughout our trip.

The service at the hotel is faultless. Everyone is smiling and eager to do whatever they can to better your stay. As far as we were concerned, they succeeded in achieving this.

Our return flight on Sunday was at 10.30pm (with checkout on the day at 12pm as in most hotels). The hotel was beyond accommodating with regards to checking out. Whilst they needed the Affresco room from 12pm, they provided another standard room for the rest of the day (i.e from 12pm to 8pm) completely free of charge. We woke up at 9am, packed our bags and left them in the room. The staff took care of the rest. After a full day out in town, we returned to our new room to shower and change before leaving and formally checking out. I cannot stress enough how much this was appreciated, and how different it was to our experiences at other hotels. It essentially turned a 3 day trip into a 4 day trip, and is a perfect example of the high level of service the hotel provides and the lengths to which they are willing to go.

Thanks again to all the staff both in the preparation of our trip, and whilst we were there. We will certainly be returning, if possible with friends and family, and will be recommending to all and sundry in the meantime.

Room Tip: Affresco suite is very impressive.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Airy, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have never stated at a hotel with such absolute impeccable service and atmoshpere. From the time you arrive to the time you leave, the staff can't do enough to make your stay memorable. The managing director also went out of his way twice to chat with my husband and I at length. The ambassadors were extremely professional and friendly. Our room was gorgeous and huge. Again, every aspect for our comfort was taken of by the staff. The view of the city of Florence was gorgeous , as was the hotel property. it sits on a hillside, a short complimentary shuttle ride to historic Florence. I will tell everyone I know about our amazing stay at Il Salviatino!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bolzano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my wife. We have been in many special hotels in this world and so far the souvretta house in st. moritz and the oriental in bangkok have been our very favorites. I would put the salviatino at the same level for its charme , friendliness and the feeling they give you as if you were home. can only recommend it !

• Stayed March 2013
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We actually stayed here in June 2012, it was a birthday present from my husband, a fabulous weekend in Florence and best tickets to see Bruce Springsteen - it doesn't get much better than that. The villa is truly superb, beautifully furnished and sublime service from the staff. Our room was large and well equipped, great shower and bathroom too. The grounds are vey well kept and the whole property is exceptionally well maintained. We took the shuttle bus into the centre of Florence to do the sights, no problems whatsoever as there is a shuttle schedule so you can plan your time well and get a lift back to the villa.

Dinner was magnificent, we had pimms on the terrace before eating and the food did not disappoint. Breakfast was equally good and we listened to The Boss doing his soundcheck whilst we were eating,how good was that!

Weather generally was good but the heavens opened during the concert, 3.5 hours of torrential rain but nothing stopped us rocking!

Fab weekend, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Firstly, I have money but I dont waste it. I choose places to stay based on quality first and value second. Sometimes quality does not cost the earth and sometimes cost is nearly immaterial for the exceptional and unique.

I had an unfortunate set of circumstances which would challenge many hotels but this is where the exceptional differs from the good. You judge.

Firstly, I arrived with an out of date passport which had cleared two airports with no problems the hotel informed me that in Italy it is against the law to book into hotels without full valid passports. It did not matter that the rest of my family had all their passports and I had a valid uk driving licence or that I had prepaid for my accommodation, I was not permitted to register. I was however offered a drink and a smile.

It reminded me of how Mary must have felt when there was no room at the inn. I was not even offered contact with the Embassy or any assistance and it was only when I objected in a loud voice that they stated they could accept a faxed copy of my passport. Fortunately I still had someone available at 6pm in England who could not only find the left passport but scan it and get it to the hotel before 10pm....which was the deadline give to me and at which the children would have been homeless. They then also said they could accept my driving licence to enable me to go to the room.

They fell down here as there must have procedures for this which does not put the guest in the wrong even if they are partly to blame. I had 3 hours of distress at the start of my holiday.

We were upgraded to a garden room for which we were very grateful as it had an extra room and a cavenous bathroom. The room was well laid out and felt the same as home... (it had the same bedding 600 thread count white cotton bedding, solid wood furniture, large windowns on to the garden, underfloor heating and Samsung 40" TV and web as home) The only down side was a lack of a coffee machine as the electrics in that room could not accommodate one and no central lights for the same reason though light switches were there. The phone in the room also did not work at first and the various taps and controls for the two linked but different type showers, sunken bath and massage jets took a day to master without help . All problems were corrected immediately with our being given a mobile phone in the morning, a kitchen number to call for any number of free cups of coffee and the table lights provided enough light. There were however there were a few ants on the floor which could not be immediately erradicated as the garden room used to be a garden conservatory which had just been converted.

From the profile this hotel should have prechecked these prior to our room occupation and provided explainations of lighting controls, shower and coffee before they became our question. No ambassador was "assisigned". We had a different person every day. All very pleasant though.

I had pre booked art classes and cooking classes for the children and had arranged times for these by email. When we returned to the desk in reception in the morning we found that the actual times as emailed were not true. I also was not given the address for the class so assuming it was at the hotel returned to the hotel only to find it was elsewhere and we were late.

This was fine as we were adaptable as was the teacher but the unexpected expense was the £25 taxi fare one way.

The quality of the classes were though outstanding.

The msaster chef was superb and the food which we all ate afterwards (5 couses and wine) was michellin style. My daughter who is already a good cook learnt to perfect a chocolate mouse cake, produce home made pasta and pesto as well as over view an outstanding bitter orange and fresh strawbery sauce, sucullent herb meat balls, plus vegs and dressings. Cost about £200 inclusive.

The art class at a studio in Florence was superb. Two children practised painting in oils for 2 hours a day for 3 days. One had graduated with an illustration degree and the 12 year old had won a regional art prize in Britain so it was not slap dash. The teacher was professional, friendly and very competent. The resultant still life, landscape and animal portaiture work is being framed as I write. We were given very helpful advice regarding shopping, art galleries and eating in Florence as well as about general life in the area during the painting sessions. Cost about £300.

The hotel organised a beautiful evening of canapies and spirits and conversation in the liburary for all guests and this was at no cost and added to the family atmosphere, friendliness and information sharing.

The building itself and the grounds are protected (Grade 1 status in GB). This means that the site does not meet all the standards of a modern hotel eg kitchen smell extraction, lighting, swimming outside, and corridors. If you appreciate old buildings that is great. If not its a bit of an inconvenience. One child droped nail varish on the pavement at the front by accident as she showed the staff what she had bought. I was charged £200 for the clean up of the varnish until I asked for proof to give to my insurance company that it was my liability. This I felt was unneccessary.

The shuttle bus to the centre is timed at 9.30am to 12.30pm from the hotel to town and from Florence to the hotel leaves at 3.00pm to 8pm ever hour. A taxi fare which does not know you stay at Il Salviatino is 8.2 euro one way. Meters start at dfferent base rates so dont be taken in by being told it is all on the meter.

It is not obvious that you can travel round the acres of grounds and see the superb views in electric vehicles they have on site it you have mobility difficulties but you can ... you just have to ask.

The breakfasts are Italian 5 star quality ... unlimited food and time and location but standard cereals, fresh juice, preserved meats, local cheese, local breads, home made cakes and full english made to request and very attractiveley presented. If it is not there then ask. Never let down. We found we could not eat lunch after our breakfast at 9am.

The hotel stored our snack bags in the kitchen fridges for when we drove around.

They try to be upfront with the cost of extra services i.e. drinks in the room but they could do better with an in room dinner menu, as well as the spa menu.

Lovely place and very pleasant staff. I dont however ooh and aah as a desire to return .... but maybe we have been spoilt over the years as we have been very lucky.

Please click if you find this review helpful

Room Tip: The ground floor/ garden rooms are closest the the terrace, garden (and pool) and breakfast rooms pl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Il Salviatino? Share your experiences!