“uli@upperwestside” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Breitenfurt bei Wien, Austria
“uli@upperwestside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Service @IlSalviatino was very attentive, 6km to go to the center, shuttle bus that takes you there (as long as you don't have a dog) if you don't want to walk. Great view! Breakfast great! Architecture and garden fantastic, nice pool (but not the right weather this time).

Room Tip: Greenhouse was a great experience
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was given the gift of a two month sabbatical from my job. When you have the luxury of disconnecting from the work world for a while you have to be thoughtful about where you spend that precious time. I've travelled in France but this was my first trip to Italy. After two weeks running around Rome and Venice (which were fantastic), I wanted my time in Florence to be more of a 'soak it in' experience.

First, let me say that when I researched hotels I was particular about this stop. I knew that I might spend more time in the hotel itself rather than full-time sightseeing, so I wanted to make sure that it was a really nice. Second, if you're going for a nice hotel in Italy (or anywhere in western europe) you know you're going to pay dearly for it. So I wanted to make sure that it was worth what I was paying - wasting money on brand names is stupid, but never more so than when it concerns a hotel, if you're paying a premium to the going rate, the place should stand out in some category that is meaningful to you.

This hotel fulfilled my highest expectations and, in many aspects, exceeded them. Here are just a few of the impressions that might help you, the reader, know what makes this place special...

The location is very close to the town center but is sufficiently removed that you feel that you've truly escaped. It is quiet and peaceful, the grounds are gracious, there are many places that invite you to sit and take in the beauty. There are several shuttles that run into the heart of the city. The only downside was that they didn't run very late, but, honestly, if you can afford to stay here, you can afford the occasional taxi ride.

The hotel staff is amazing. When you arrive you are 'assigned' a concierge, but this isn't someone just sitting at a desk. Whenever, you use the number they provide you, they find you and help with whatever you need. One night I was sitting out on the patio and it was getting too cold to stay out. I got up to go grab a sweater from my room and my concierge was alreay approaching us with a blanket. That's what it's like here and its like that in almost every aspect.

The food was incredible. We had a breakfast included in our room. If you're considering that option; opt in. You can choose to have the breakfast in your room or at the restaurant but either way it is an experience. Months later we were still ooh'ing and aah'ing over it whenever we talked about the place.

The hotel itself is also beautiful. The guestrooms are nicely appointed, the building and grounds are interesting and fun to explore. You will feel like you have an Italian manor (almost) to yourself.

The only complaint I had was that checkout didn't run smoothly. We moved up our departure time and it seemed to catch the staff off guard (the only time there was a downside to not having an actual checkout desk).

Overall, an incredible spot that I would love to visit again!

Room Tip: At the last minute, we changed to pick a room with a view of the Duomo. The other views are perfect...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
South Hadley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a fabulous time at Il Salviatino. The property is beautiful, the food is delicious, and the staff went above and beyond to offer the best service possible. It feels like you’re staying in Chianti, but you’re actually just a few minutes from Florence. We are grateful to Stefano the GM for making our stay so special!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Left my terrible food Costa cruise today and hopped into my rented car, arriving here at 7:30 pm. Bought a GPS in Hong Kong for US$70 so finding our way here is easy. Rainy evening and there was a little barrier at the entrance so when we pressed the button to say we are checking in, there's an umbrella waiting for me when I got off at the reception.

Again, am writing this review whilst lying on the bed in room 39 here. This is 10:50pm and we had just done an awesome dinner in the restaurant downstairs, and had met the young chef. I love food and cooking, so the food here simply tell me that the chef got a heart on what he is doing. Nada at the reception is very helpful and told me simple history about this six hundred year old building.

Such a great day. Puzzled for a while before booking this hotel as I always read the Triadvisor bad comments before booking a place. Glad that I had not been deterred this time and had chosen this hotel. Free parking, wifi, shuttle bus, breakfast, lovely view from the room, huge bed, nice staff..... I love this place!!

Freetown, Sierra Leone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had quite high expectations of Il Salviatino, having read the reviews, and given that it was a 5* hotel overlooking Florence, and obviously fairly expensive. But my word, it really lived up to them. The hotel itself and the setting are truly stunning, a fact only enhanced by the fact that we arrived on 31st December to glorious blue skies and warm sunshine. We were met at the front door by the smart, polite and friendly (and fluent English-speaking) Service Ambassador. Everything was organised inside very swiftly, and we found they'd upgraded our room to one that we'd asked for and been told wasn't available when we booked... at no extra cost! I had also requested rose petals to be spread on the bed, and they had the most exquisite petals from goodness knows how many roses arranged in a perfect heart on the white sheets.

We sat outside on the terrace on white leather sofas overlooking their gorgeous manicured gardens, marvelling at the weather while they brought us a beer and bread and olive oil. We got back from town at five minutes to midnight (pure luck) to a free glass of champagne, small fireworks and the most amazing ten minute firework show put on by seemingly every single person in Florence (which we could see almost all of due to the wonderful view from the terrace).

The room was beautiful, though we had a minor problem with the heating which they sorted for us rapidly once we brought it to their attention. Free wifi, of course, and a TV in the enormous mirror. They had some crazy wireless light switch arrangement which took a bit of figuring out, and an incredibly luxurious bathroom with walk-in rain shower, jacuzzi bath and enormous basin.

We only ate breakfasts there, but they were delicious (though they couldn't seem to get their heads around us asking for cold milk - every time we asked, we got hot milk, which we put down to the Italian word for hot being 'calde").

Service from the ambassadors was absolutely fantastic from start to finish - they couldn't do enough for us, though were never intrusive. They even rang another hotel for us down the coast when we told them we were heading on to a different area to make sure it was open and they had rooms available (it wasn't and they didn't, but that was beside the point).

All in all, expensive, but worth every single penny, and more. Far and away the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We arrived in early November and were worried about being there so late due to weather. The weather and timing were perfect.
We have been to Florence several times and one of the problems was that there so many people in town. This time we stayed at theIl Salviatino which was a pleasure. A true Italian Palazzo, beautifully restored in good taste.
The rooms were large , well appointed with all the amenities . The view was spectacular and it was important for us to be a bit outside of Florence due to the crowds. The hotel had a shuttle service which only took 10 minutes to the center of the city ( Il Duomo).
Returning to the hotel through a private gate and splendid park made us feel special and very secure. The walk around the park, swimming pool and gardens was a joy.
The library was a peacefull place to rest with an impressive array of books and research material.

The bar and veranda had a magnificent view ofFlorence and a Bar tender who knew what he was doing. The restaurant had a special autumn festival menu and the cuisine was fresh and delicious. I believe they grow many of their fruits and vegetables on this extraordinary site.
There was a group in the hotel which had a spectacular buffet. The service was also of a high standard as the personnel were well trained and eager to please.

We can't wait to return to this special, Italian Palazzo. Peter

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors or one of the suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is a wondeful place to discover Firenze and the area around. It is located on a hill at only fifteen minutes from the center of the town, a shuttle can bring you there. The building and the view on Firenze are tremendous. It is surrounded by a beautiful park. Everything is so calm and restful.

The staff is adorable, always smiling, helping you with everything you may need.

We spent the New Year's Eve dinner in the restaurant, it was delicious and very friendly.

Well, in a word, this hotel is a dream.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and quiet, the rooms with the view on Firenze are amazing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Salviatino? Share your experiences!