“Probably one of the best hotels in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Il Salviatino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via del Salviatino, 21, 50137 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #16 of 461 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“Probably one of the best hotels in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My Wife and I recently came back from a 3 night stay as part of our honeymoon. In all my travels I have never felt so compelled write a review of any of the hotels I have stayed at. Reason I have here is that I genuinely believe that Il Salviatino is faultless.

Overall service: The staff has an incredibly balanced approach to service – I think the staff has perfect judgment of when to offer to help and when wait for you to ask. In many high end establishments you almost fear walking through them for the amount of staff that approach you and ask if they can do anything, whereas other large hotels were you have asked a number of times to get something. There is no reception or concierge desk the staff are strategically placed around the Villa. What is also very impressive is that there is great communication between all the staff - I asked one of the Ambassadors at the hotel to make a restaurant recommendation and when I came back another Ambassador was there and without me prompting gave me all the details.

Food: Big expectations as Italy generally is not a place where one expects to eat badly but the food in the hotel beit in the restaurant, room service or by the pool is exquisite – Wild boar pasta, perfectly cooked lamb, well balanced salads. Breakfast is also very special – they avoided the usual 5 star buffet and make everything fresh and bespoke to your specific tastes. The quality of execution and presentation of all meals rivals many Michelin starred restaurants.

Spa: One of the most relaxing experiences I have ever had – my wife and I booked 1 hour treatments every day and were blown away by how relaxing they were. Again not one of conveyor belt spa’s that you normally find in 5 star hotels – huge flexibility with respect to times and treatments and you don’t feel rushed in any way.

Rooms and setting: Set in the hills above Florence you only have to look at the website to realize how much of an idyllic setting it is. The rooms are beautifully decorated – great care has been taken to restore this Villa in order to accommodate a 5 star luxury amenities and retain the old charm of the villa. The beds are huge and very comfortable, bathrooms clean and balance new and old perfectly, TV’s are hidden away behind mirrors and the rooms are very spacious

Cost: Whilst I wont profess to it being incredibly cheap – but it is very good value for money, unlike a lot of 5 star hotel I have stayed in there is no attempt to cut corners or focus on margin rather service – you get what you pay for and more – it is a memory that we will cherish and talk about for years to come.

In conclusion a combination of incredible attention to detail and a beautiful setting made our 3 night stay feel like we had been on Honeymoon for 1 month. I cannot recommend Il Salviatino, Simone Giorgi and his whole team enough. I look forward to returning for many anniversaries in the years to come.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011 via mobile

My fiancee and I have just returned from a weekend at this stunning hotel. It is so beautiful and I am so happy that it was the place I had elected to pop the question.

The location is top notch and gives you easy access to cental Florence. It also offers complete privacy and is a lovely place to retire to from a busy day in town.

The staff are excellent and certainly lived up to many of the impressive comments featured on this website.

We were in a garden suite which was beautiful and we couldn't fault the quality and services available to us. Definitely recommend one of these rooms!

The food + wine were superb and together with the hotel's grand piano playing in the background, whilst overlooking a staggering view of the city, made this simply the best opportunity to get down on one knee.

We will be back without question!

• Stayed June 2011
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband and I spent only three days in the incredible I´l Salviatino in Florence. We were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary, and found the most breath taking unique experience.
This hotel has both , the most amazing building and views, but also and giving it the touch of class that is always needed the better staff they could have found.
I not only recommend the place but will try if possible visit as many times as possible Florence and this hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and unique, let them .
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
DC-USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

This property, situated in Fiesole above Florence, has spectacular views of the city and the surronuding countryside. It is the reigning Andrew Harper "Hideaway of the Year" for good reason. Everything about this place is jaw-dropping, from the views to the public rooms to the bedrooms. It is ultra-modern in terms of amenities, butl seems like it is still in the 17th century. Absolutely not to be missed if you are within 100 miles of Fiesole.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Domenico di Masi says that not very often Humanity has been so creative as it happened in Athens during Hellenism or in Florence during Renaissance days. Ok Il Salviatino is not in the middle of Florence´s Old Town, but...

The Fiorentini have kept their city´s beauty as a joy. It has a price. The massive number of tourists makes that gorgeous town – one of World´s most visited tourist sites - quite busy and confusing.

Staying at Il Salviatini is on a privileged position with a beautiful view of the Duomo from its idyllic gardens. They offer free transportation to the old town and it really works.

Me and my life partner are veggies and had dinner at the main restaurant. I had a perfect tartufo salad and a wonderful berries pie as dessert. My risotto was pretty good as well.

I don´t usually write reviews, but what made me do it was the perfect Concierge service. I had required tickets to Galeria delle Uffizzi and had mentioned I would like to visit San Marco Museum as well. They made me feel really special going over the extremely long line and checking in immediately (as a matter of fact lkhe lady at the counter smiled and said Oh, from Il Salviatino, when saw the red envelope with museum tickets). Besides the tickets I found a briefing of what to see at san Marco Museum and the pretty accurate suggestion to visit Bergello Palace.

Caldwell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

What can i say; we had the pleasure of staying here for a 3 day weekend wedding of my brother-in law & sister-in law..what a breathtaking view;excellent food,wine and most of all,service. From the general manager , the ambassadors,and yes,the entire staff-i have never been treated so well. A truly beautiful experience....Grazie Mille... A.J. Popola

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

We were met by a driver at Firenze Santa Maria Novella Station and wisked off in a S550 Mercedes to Il Salviatino. Our driver was very friendly and informative. When we drove through the gate to the villa we were greated by several staff members. They made us feel like family and welcomed us into the villa with a glass of Prosecco. There was not a formal check-in; however, we were introduced to our ambassador who took care of our every need during our stay. The patio area overlooking Florence was spectacular. We were escorted to our room by our ambassador who let us know he could be contacted 24 hours a day for our every wim - for such things as an extra pillow, blanket, food, or even a helicopter or Ferrari! The room was amazing with a rain shower, which had a special window to see the view. The media center/TV was in a large picture mirror. Turndown service included lighted floor candles and a candelebra. It was really romantic! It was hard to believe there were other guests at the villa. When you went to the bar a bartender would arrive and make the perfect drinks including an Old Fashioned. As for the restaurant I can't say enough about the chef. He offered a personal touch to the presentation of the meals which were amazing! The grounds, service, and overall feeling of indulgence left us wanting a longer stay. We will certainly return to Il Salviatino when we return to Italy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Salviatino? Share your experiences!