“Ponte - Perfect Picture Postcard” 5 of 5 stars

Ponte Vecchio
Via Palazzuolo 50 int. 1, 50124, Florence, Italy (Santa Maria Novella)   |
Ranked #92 of 419 Hotels in Florence
Edmonton, Canada
“Ponte - Perfect Picture Postcard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Florence last July. Along with the Duomo and Michaelangelo's David, the Ponte Vecchio (meaning "old bridge") is one of the most recognizable landmarks in this city. Built in 1345, the bridge was the only one to survive demolition by the Germans as they retreated from Florence. Apparently, legend tells us, Hitler expressly ordered his army not to destroy the bridge. Florence has a penchant for expensive quality goods and you'll see that extravagantly displayed in the many shops that line the Ponte Vecchio, a tradition that goes back many centuries. Legend also tells us that in the early years, merchants displayed their wares on tables for a fee. If they were unable to pay that fee, soldiers would come and break their tables and from these incidents originated the idea of being "bankrupt". The Ponte provides so many fantastic views that you'll want to take pictures of it from almost any angle. It's also a great place for couples to enjoy its romantic ambiance.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan M

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My first view of the bridge was from a terrace just up the river. The Arno was a bit of surprise because, for some reason, I thought it was a much wider river.

As you walk over to the Ponte Vecchio, you make a 90 degree turn and suddenly find yourself actually ON the bridge which was a bit of surprise. The view up and down the river are very nice and I found the bridge to be more "homey" than "spectacular". Of course, in speaking of the history, one reverses those adjectives.

Except for the open galleries overlooking the river, the bridge is also lined with souvenir and goldshops. The roadway was also narrower than I expected--I guess I fell into the logical fallacy that "if it's historically important, it must be pretty big at the same time" (laughing at myself).

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WildCanadian
Birkirkara, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you visit Florence you must visit Ponte Vecchio, it is very beautiful like you can see in the pictures but it is very expensive to buy from the gold shops surrounding the bridge. You will most likely enjoy live music by a local musician who comes to play for those few that come to enjoy the bridge for what it is. Legend has it that if lovers place a lock on the Ponte Vecchio and toss the key into the Arno River, their love will last forever.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eleonora M
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,025 helpful votes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Tip 1: Yes, this is a tourist-trap destination. If you have too much money then this is a place for you to buy Italian goods like jewellery and gold.

Tip 2: There is really nothing much to see except taking pictures of the bridge and then leave the site. I wouldnt suggest anyoe to spend more than an hour at this site.

Tip 3: There are restaurants on the near the bridge but they are all way too over-priced.

Tip 4: To be honest, it is really a site that i would ever go once in my life and thats it. I won't visit this place ever again not because i have bad experience. Its just because its way too touristy.

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Hungary_Peace
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ponte Vecchio is a must see in Florence, but not a must spend time at. I love the view of the bridge from various points along the river and love the views from the bridge too.

If you are out to spend money on jewelry, there are many shops at your disposal.

Its often very crowded which takes away from some of the charm. Unless you plan to shop a lot I wouldn't plan to need a lot of time here. I would pick a good part of the day to get a photo of the bridge. It's also very nice at night.

There are a few places around to eat at once off the bridge, but the area really closes up by 8pm. It took us over 40 minutes to find a cab that would actually take us to our hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crazynello01
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I feel bad for waiting so long to write this review (we actually stayed here in March 2011)because I frequently rely on other people's reviews when selecting a hotel. Alas, better late than never!

Our stay at Pote Vecchio was wonderful. The room FAR EXCEEDED our expectations. While it was a little difficult to find, once we made it, we were in heaven. I wish we could have stayed for more than just one night. The room was impeccably clean, had a well-stocked kitchenette, and was decorated in a comfortably modern decor. We'll definitely stay here again if we make it back to Florence.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank L C
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

My colleague and I had to be on a work trip in Florence for a week – so we decided to go a day early and book into (via Expedia) a SPA hotel for a restful break before our week of work began.
We asked for a twin room and paid £206 for the night.
We arrived all excited to be told there was no twin only a double. Annoying, but still excited we asked about the SPA – which their website quotes as: ‘The Ponte Vecchio Suites are part of an innovative structure inspired by the "boutique hotel" concept and it is precisely in this building that you will find the modern SPA, intended for the wellbeing, relaxation and exclusive use of our guests.’ Which is why we booked it.
A surly manageress explained that the SPA is basically, a big bath tub which she can have filled for us, on request, at 30 euros EACH. My colleague and I were very cross and pointed out that this is not what their website had led us to believe – the manageress simply couldn’t care less. All made worse by her trying to justify this poor excuse for a ‘SPA’.
Although the location is fabulous and the room was very clean . . . the service stank. This is not a SPA neither is it a “boutique hotel” – the owner may have once stayed in a boutique hotel but certainly doesn’t own one.
And for 206 pounds per night – we felt annoyed and conned.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends