“Perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #160 of 220 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Strasbourg, France
“Perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This place is in the heart of Florence and you can reach whatever you need in minutes. Our room was big and clean. The only thing that I didn't like was bed linen. It looked like a joke as I had to use only one bed cover at the same time as a blanket cover.. But doesn't matter! Conditions in general were comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friends and i walked past the door twice before finding it, (we had actually inspected it on one of thes times but couldnt see a sign so walked past) after finding the place the member of staff literally took our money, made us sign some form in italian and ran off. This was the last we saw of the staff during our 3 days in florence.
The room we had was comfy in terms of beds but my friends reported bites and it was still boiling in that room even with a fan.It was also very noisy on the main street, however if you choose to close the window then you stop any chance of you not sweating buckets in the middle of the night.
The bathroom was small cramped and i think there was only once that i didnt have to queue, they really need a seperate bath and shower room as the last thing you want when you want to go is for there to be a queue of people waiting to shower.
finally the communal area was appaling, a small rickety table with 2 even more rickety chairs and a beaten up fridge which had a exploded bottle of beer in the freezer no-one had chosen to remove, the lack of knives and forks and even a microwave or toaster, it is more of a bed sit than anything else, its cheap but ive been to venice and stayed in cheaper digs with a fully stocked kitchen so theres no excuse.
The one good point is its location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Kingscliff, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room looked like a mental institution and the whole hostel was small and creepy. 1 toilet and shower to share between everybody staying there and the door is impossible to find. We couldnt find it and when we finally did the owner was getting so angry at us and said he was watching us on his cameras which we found a little strange . They´ll charge your credit card if you break his rules, wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The location of the hostel was fantastic for anyone visiting the popular attractions of Florence, although it is slightly difficult to find because the numbers of the addresses are not in order. The room itself was very clean and we had no problems checking in. Our major problem was with the one bathroom. It rarely had toilet paper and usually looked and smelled like it hadn't been cleaned in days, which was disgusting with around 15 people staying there.

• Stayed May 2013
Chico, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was having some personal problems with someone on my trip and the owner was AN ANGEL. He was so nice and accommodating. I know that people posted that sign with the "my rules". But really this is just bad English. They don't have any weird rules. The 11pm rule is great for people who actually WANT TO SLEEP! It's like having your own place behind a 500 pound wooden door.

Room Tip: Get the private room. It's just a few euros more.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in January 2013.

To start the hostel isn't easy to find, I paced up and down the street to find it, then found the number easily, looking for a buzzer was impossible, or just anything to let me in the locked door. Initially I thought it must not exist. I had to actually email the owner who came over straight away. On entering the building it smells of gas, or bins? I booked a room for one and was given a private set up in a room for two good for me. The hostel is literally just a place to sleep.

The down side to my stay is I could constantly hear closing doors and the front door being opened and slammed, Room 1 is next to the front door. I didn't have a terrible experience, but I have had better stays in other hostels. As someone travelling on my own it's nice to have an area to sit on the computer or even eat, and interact with other travellers at the end of the day, if you are expecting such a thing, look onwards. There are rather intimidating signs everywhere that say don't be loud, close your door, don't move anything. Oh and the wifi password was outrageously/ comically long. On a positive the rooms are clean and maintained well, the bin wasn't emptied but I felt comforted that nobody had entered my room

At the end of the day, the location makes this place, the historical centre is literally on your doorstep and within walking distance! Can't go wrong in this aspect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here with a friend for 2 nights. The location is great, even though it was a bit hard to find at first (follow the blue numbers). We got a room for 5(!) people, even though there was only two of us. The room may be simple, but we didn't go to Florence to stay in the hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Alekin Hostel? Share your experiences!