“...and EVERYTHING nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Dessert
Florence, Italy
“...and EVERYTHING nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have lived in Florence for two years and after trying Mama's Bakery and The Diner we had given up hope of enjoying an American breakfast experience in this city. The bagels and service at Mama's Bakery left us so disappointed and the food at the Diner is really unappetizing. Their food is all stored in the refrigerator with salsa and onions so even your butter and whipped cream on the pancakes tastes oniony. NOT SO at Sugar and Spice. They have a great variety of fresh bagels with wonderful combinations and add-ons. The pancakes were amazing, fresh bursting blueberries, tender pancakes, great portions...and the service was excellent. We will be back again and again. So happy to have found our spot in Florence to enjoy an American breakfast.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Inspiration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Upon entering the door, you can smell the sweet fragrance of a freshly baked apple pie. The cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate combined together gives you the desire to taste one of their delicacies. I remembered when I first entered their store, it was love at first sight. I was impressed on how they furnished the place; it's very cozy and vibrant. The place is small but it gives a perfect picture of a peaceful and relaxing place. Perfect for any type of season. A good place to hang-out with friends. I can still remember the first piece of cake that I bought; a strawberry cheesecake and I can really say that It's the best cheesecake I've ever tasted; smooth, tasty and sweet. Even the cupcakes specially my all time favorite : oreo cupcake and red velvet cupcake. and also their fudge cake is so good that my sister never changed her order for a year. Its soft and moist chocolate cake combined with a chocolate frosting makes perfect fudge cake. Not to mention their macaroons. It is spectacular. Specially the chocolate mint flavor, my goodness it is so good. I've never been a macaroon lover in fact i hated it because of its consistency but when I tasted it I was like "oh my goodness this is so good". and i've never tasted anything like this before.O
Going there often, I was inspired to bake and the first cake was a cheesecake. And It turned out good. Since then i tried baking different things. And it became my passion. and thanks to sugar and spice they've become my inspiration.and for the future o would love to have a place like theirs. And not to forget about the beautiful owner of the place together with her kind daughter who serve the clients with gladness and a smile on their faces. In our community, whenever we say that our cake came from sugar and spice, we will all say "allora questo e' buono perch'e' da sugar and spice. It is good and it has quality.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florence, Italy
“about delivery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A friend of mine, who lives in Asia, got in touch with them and ordered a Xmas pack of cupcakes online. So they (from Sugar & Spice at Borgo Croce) called me and said they could only deliver it on the 24th in the morning. I said I was going to be working at that time. Then they told me I had to pick up myself. And I did, after work (7:30pm). Masha was nice and all, but she could not remember the name of who sent (up to that point I didnt know who had sent it). Im not totally aware how my friend ordered and what was agreed, but to not remember who sent the Xmas gift was kind of frustrating. Masha could have it written for all I know. I only confirmed who sent later, via text message with my friend. In my opinion they could improve such service of delivery - specially if they charge extra for it, which I dont know if they do.
The cupcakes were alright. However, what matters to me was who sent and not what was sent. The fact that my friend remembered me on Xmas was significant enough to me and I didnt care much about how sugarish the cupcakes were.

• Visited December 2012

Visited February 2012
Huntington, West Virginia
“Amazingly kind service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We had a great experience at Sugar & Spice Bakery this afternoon -- what attracted me was the sign that read "Specialita Americana" because I was looking for a very specific item that would be difficult to describe in Italian, and I was desparate. The owner, Masha, greeted me kindly when I walked in and recognized that I could not speak Italian. She's from New York and her English is, obviously, perfect. Beyond answering my bakery questions, Masha generously took the time to write out directions and draw maps to two places she thought would benefit my family. Her baker also eagerly shared ideas that would help me, which Masha translated. On top of that, there was a regular customer in the store who was also very helpful. Honestly, I felt like an otherwise hectice city paused to help an overwehlmed traveler. The ten minutes I spent in Sugar & Spice made up for a stressful morning -- we've been in Florence less than two days and I am still adjusting to the though of a whole month here. But I know where I'm gettting my baked good from!!!

• Visited May 2012