“Great Location...Average Hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 201 Specialty lodging in Florence
Provo, Utah, United States
“Great Location...Average Hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Overall our stay at the hostel was average but if you're looking for the absolute best I wouldn't say this is it. We really enjoyed our stay and had no complaints but it's not very social and the atmosphere isn't the greatest.

The facilities were fine. The rooms were big and clean. There are only two small bathrooms for the entire hostel but I never had an issue with not being able to get in when I needed to. The location is the best thing about this hostel. Located right next to one of the main plaza's and within walking distance of almost everything. They do have a lockout between 10am and 2pm everyday (meaning you have to leave and can't come back in) which is kind of annoying but not horrible. The staff was pleasant but there's a Bulgarian guy (can't remember his name) and he was fantastic. Super helpful and talked with us for over a half hour a couple of times helping us out with random things. The atmosphere was very quiet, not as social as other hostels so we were a little bummed about that.

Overall....average stay, nothing to complain about, but not amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Overall our stay at the hostel was reasonably pleasant.
I would advise caution here, though, as there were many aspects to our stay that came as a surprise, or were not conducted in the way we had expected.
First of all, the facilities at the hostel were generally good, and the bunk bedrooms were standard for a European hostel- cleanliness was good, and the location was excellent.
However, the lock out between 10am and 2pm each day was quite inconvenient and frankly a little disconcerting. Also, there was only one shared bathroom for several rooms which included one toilet and shower, in the same small room, which was seldom available. We found this a little strange. Also, we were surprised on arrival to be informed we would have to stay one night in a bunk room with another person- despite having booked a private room. As three young girls travelling, with previous experience with a shared bunk room that had left us feeling unsafe, we were not happy with this situation, but with no other option, we simply had to go with it. After being in very regular email contact regarding the booking- right up until the day of our arrival, I felt we could have been informed of this ahead of time. Also, despite having agreed on a specific arrival time, we had to wait in the street to be let in for a while- long enough to fear there was nobody in. When we were finally let in, we were also informed we would have to leave our room key with reception at the beginning of each day, which we found strange. and the payment could only be in cash- another warning sign.
One incident occurred to give us further concerns about the place on the first night. In the middle of the night, whilst all the residents of the room were sleeping and accounted for, my friend was woken by what was clearly somebody coming into the room, and leaving again soon after. We were left to assume this was a member of staff coming in to collect something, perhaps? They left the door open behind them for the rest of the night, and frankly we found it quite strange and invasive that this would even occur.
The location was really the best this place had to offer, and it was excellent- we felt right in the centre of things. However overall the feeling of the place was perhaps a little shifty, there were many hidden costs not made clear from the outset, and a lot of the time we felt like we weren't getting the whole truth. Not the same safety and security you get with large hostel chains.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I haven't been in a hostel for ages, so I can just compare this hostel to the ones I saw back in 2002!
Anyway, there's no better location in Florence in my opinion. I slept 4 nights in this hostel and I found it very convenient because it was close to everything. Our 4 bed room, number 1, was on the first floor and so it was a bit noisy, but if you sleep in a hostel you should know that earplugs are your best friends :)
breakfast was good and the staff was very very kind and helpful.
I will advice this hostel to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The hostel was easy to find, a little far from the train station but so is the city centre. It was really close to everything in the city and in a good area of town. Had a wonderful stay there for 2 nights. The twin private was very spacious and there was a sink and a fridge in the room. Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed February 2013
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The room i stayed was big and clean. The hostel is located in a very nice place in Florence.
Other than that, the staff is very honest. I left a small bag with money on it, it was the money for the rest of my trip, and they kept it for me!
I was in Rome, they sent me through Western Union and saved the rest of my trip.

I recommend this hostel for its good, clean, honest, well located and for a good price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is in a great location! Very close to most of Florence's attractions. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean. FYI, the owner has a dog. He is very sweet and quiet but in the lobby a lot. We were very pleased with this place.

• Stayed October 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had an excellent stay in the Florence Youth Hostel. The location is excellent- very close to the Uffizi and not far from the Duomo. The staff are very friendly and helpful and this really helped to make the stay. I stayed in a single room, rather than one of the dorms and it was huge! The bed was very comfortable and the hostel was very quiet, ensuring a great night's sleep. The hostel could do with an extra shower, but it was alwasy very clean. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Florence Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!