“5 stars for the food, one less for the altitude” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cibreo Trattoria (Il Cibreino)

Cibreo Trattoria (Il Cibreino)
Via de' Macci 122r, 50122 Florence, Italy
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Tel-Aviv, Israel
“5 stars for the food, one less for the altitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The potato ricotta sufle - to die for
The cod fish mouse - wow
The coffee chocolate mouse was great too
However, the owner makes unpleasant comments to many of the diners. He might think that the comments are funny...
In addition, all the diners were tourist and there was only one waiter who translated the menu to English. After his third time he started to be impatient.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Clearwater, Florida
“We had to laugh about it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The place came highly recommended, so 5 of us waited outside for the door to open. It was packed soon after opening and they don't accept reservations, so I guess Fabio, the owner, isn't concerned about our opinion. Our waiter was interrupted and pulled away from our table three times by Fabio before we could order. Fabio, seated at another table discussing the menu, hissed "Shuss!" several times as though he were about to make an announcement - then when he had the whole clientele's attention he said "Aaahhh" and turned back to his table.
The chicken pate was the best I'd had anywhere. The ricotta/potato flan was a delightful invention. My mullet comprised about 3 bites. My wife's rabbit was uninteresting. We asked for coffee but were told none is served here. While finishing our wine and dividing the bill, Fabio came over and insisted we leave because "a pregnant woman needs to sit."
Well, OK.
We five stood in a tiny foyer, shuffling about to let people in and out as we figured the bill - and saw no evidence of pregnancy.
We did hear him say "Prego"... ;~b
(This was not a language issue; one of us is a native Tuscan and a second is a tourguide perfectly competent in Italian.)
On the walk back we had a great laugh about it all. We weren't going to let this experience ruin our last night in Firenze. And it didn't.
But it still deserves this review.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Pass it by”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had dinner with friends on our last night in Florence. We arrived before the trattoria opened but the owner told our friend, who is Italian, that they would open in a few minutes so we waited. Within 10 minutes of our seating, all the tables were full. The owner was sitting with his back to us at a table with several young men. Since the room is small and the tables were full, the conversation volume was loud. Suddenly, the owner shouted in Italian that everyone should "shut up." Our friend translated for us so we could understand what the owner had said. The room went quiet for a beat and then the volume went right back to what it was. His shout was an omen of things to come.
We ordered a chicken liver pate to start and it arrived only when we asked what had happened to our order. It was absolutely delicious with the hearty and tasty bread that had been served soon after we arrived. We had a ricotta and potato savory flan which was also delicious with an appealing creamy texture. My stuffed rabbit (with prosciutto) was dry and slightly tough so it appeared to be overcooked. It came with a side dish of tiny, brown beans that might have been lentils. They were unimpressive. My husband's mullet that was cooked in the foil in which it arrived was delicious but only about 2 bites. It came with a side of unremarkable white beans.
With wine and water, our share of the bill was about 60 euros, although the sum of everything was much more because others shared the cost of the wine, water, and ricotta/potato dish.
We said "no" to dessert and coffee and asked for the check. We had just started to divvy it up when the owner yelled at us that a pregnant woman was waiting to be seated so we must immediately leave the table.We huddled in the teeny foyer to figure out our shares of the bill. The people waiting passed through one by one: none of the first 6 were under 55 and certainly none of the women were pregnant. Two more couples came in and, although the women were younger, none was obviously pregnant.
Perhaps the owner is bipolar or something and we just arrived on a very bad night for him. Whatever--avoid spending a large amount of money and risking a bad experience when there are so many other choices in Florence.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St Germain en laye
“Puzzling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had dinner here in May 2013. We were 'greeted' by a young man who could easily have played Mercutio in 'Romeo and Juliet' . He looked thunders at us and said that he had told our hotel that we should arrive at 7.30pm instead of 8pm because the restaurant was very full up !! After this rather agressive greeting , he led us to our seats and were served a yoghurt with olive oil and turmeric to 'prepare our mouths'. I think this concept means that anything you eat after this concoction will seem delicious in comparison because quite honestly it was very unpalatable. In this restaurant there are no menus, one of the waiters comes and sits at your table and reels off the menu to you. I quite like the idea of someone coming to explain the dishes but I do like to read and mull over a menu. Here it's impossible to remember everything that has been listed and you end up just plumping for something rather than actually choosing what you would really like to eat. We were served some very tasty amuse-bouches , chicken liver paté, fresh ricotta, marinated courgettes and ricotta flan for example. As a a first course I chose the yellow pepper soup which in my opinion was an example of good homecooking rather than cuisine gastronomique. I then had the rabbit which had been stuffed, rolled and cut unto slices. It was delicious especially the sauce but was served with cold sweet and sour onion chutney and ice cold green asparagus. The contrast of the warm rabbit with very cold vegetables threw me a little. My husband had stuffed, rolled and sliced beef which was overcooked and too dry compared with the rabbit. The most annoying aspect for me however was the very didactic and authoritative attitude of the waiters and waitresses (we had at least 5 different ones) who told us what we should eat and how we should eat it. This is not my idea of a pleasant dining experience and although the food was quite good , I don't think I'd go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“THE WORST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is hands down the most awful restaurant i have ever been too. Trying to ignore the fact that most of the food is either a mousse of some description or been through a blender at least 5 times, the service is terrible too. I was seated with a direct view of the kitchen and could see the pastry chef licking his utensils and using them over and over again on every plate. When we were offered dessert I politely declined and after being badgered about it i told the waiter why. The waiter turned out to be the owner who took such offence he LITERALLY threw my 7 month pregnant wife and i out of the restaurant. I was so shocked i had no idea what to say. Never experienced anything like it before. An old age home in some third world forgotten town would serve better food than this!

• Visited April 2013