“Very good value!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 1,969 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Description: From 1st March 1953. We are open only for lunch, we haven't the freezer, we don't make reservation. No credit card and bancomat. ATTENZIONE SIAMO APERTI SOLO A PRANZO DAL LUNEDI AL SABATO COMPRESI E CHIUSI LA DOMENICA E TUTTI I GIORNI FESTIVI OLTRE AL MESE DI AGOSTO PER FERIE. NO BRUNCH NO COLAZIONI NO CONSEGNA NO CENA NO DOPO MEZZANOTTE.
Tallinn, Estonia
“Very good value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place was full of visitors, but we were lucky and had to wait just 5 minutes. Later I saw a long queue outside the trattoria. So be ready to wait!
Menu is written on the paper and this paper is on the wall and it's in Italian. You won't get any personal menu. This place is full, you share the table with other visitors and you should choose your food fast. I chose ravioli (it was a word that I understood in menu=)) and my husband just told a waiter that he wants the same meat as a guy next to him!=))
The food was very delicious. There was nothing very special, but it was like a home-made food - tasty and fresh.
Prices are very reasonable.
If you are looking for a romantic place with a nice terrace outside, then this place is not for you. But it you want to try traditional home-made food and to share this experience with other people sitting next to you in this small trattoria - then go there!
I would definitely come back!

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
“Must-eat and worth the 30 min wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This has to be one of the coolest finds! All the locals in Florence seemed to know this restaurant as we asked few times for directions.

They only open for three hours at lunch (12pm to 3pm); the restaurant closes before and after those times. No reservations, but you can get a seat after an estimated wait time of 30 minutes. Make sure you sign yourself in.

It is surely worth the wait. You'll find yourself very cramped and you have to share the table with another couple or other strangers. Everyone is sympathetic and understanding of the cramped space, so even after a few bumps with other people while getting to your seat, you end up sharing the table with others whom you don't know and you end up chatting about their experiences in their trip to Italy while you wait for your food. Most were tourists like us but we also had few locals who seemed to be regulars.

We ordered the steak (it is ridiculously huge - I believe it was called filetto di manzo) and pasta with meat sauce (tortelli di patate al ragu). Only two dishes but, trust me, they were more than enough for two people (perhaps for three people). Steak came out as medium-rare, but we assumed that's how they do it.

Both of these plates were delicious, you get to make new friends who sit next to you out of their own will, and you get to say you've tasted one of the most popular restaurants in Firenze!

• Visited April 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food at great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Trattoria Mario opens between 12-3pm only, and is a small, family run place with little English spoken. The menu is found plastered on the walls in Italian, some with translation, and due to its popularity, sharing of tables with strangers is common. I didn't find this unpleasant though, because I'm used to such crowds, but some might find it claustrophobic.

The food here is simple, tasty, and cheap. I had beef stew for my first lunch. It was a generous portion of beef that was so tender, I didn't really need a knife to cut the cubes, and practically poked my way through with a fork. Bread is served upon seating, so I had that to accompany my stew. My counterpart had vegetable stew which was hearty and filling.

My second lunch was definitely more memorable. I wanted to try a T-bone steak, as do most people in Florence (and is what the restaurant is famous for), but when I attempted to order one for myself, the waitress actually turned me down and said she'll bring me a filet instead.

It was for the best.

When my tenderloin came, it was quite a large piece itself, and was done rare instead of medium rare. It was charred on the outside, but very tender with each slice and not as bloody as I expected it to be. The beef came with a piece of lemon that I never expected would go so well, and this large piece of filet only cost me 12euros - a tiny fraction compared to what I've paid for at Hawksmoor in London.

For the price I paid and the quality I got, I would have to say this was my most memorable meal in Florence. If you don't want to wait, be sure to arrive at 1145-12, the crowd starts coming in past 12 but the turnover is fast.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“TUSCANY BEANS, WOW~”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

ATE WHAT THEIR STAFFS EAT. definitely we ordered steak, 800g, the first bite was a shock, gosh, it was over cooked?! not that pink at all. we looked around, and found out that it was quite normal. after a few bites, it became better and more juicy. especially the last bite lol. the meet on the bone, wow, heavenly tasty.

side dish, we went for tuscan beans. that was so good! dont need to say much about it, just go and try!

and we ordered penne with meat sauce. lol that was from heaven. great great!
we shared it, really fit for a couple.

/ it is a small narrow restaurant, and we shared table with other 2 couples.

but it was fine, well, actually, it was fun~~ everyone there was friendly, and enjoyed their food. love this place.

however, really long queueing time...
well, not bad to enjoy the our door sunshine. I felt satisfied, anyway.

• Visited March 2013
Malta
“Lunch Here is a MUST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

What I love about this trattoria is the casual atmosphere and the very welcoming staff! You feel like one of the locals as soon as you step inside.

All the food and house wine is fantastic, great value for money, quick and always consistent. Great place if you are in the mood to indulge in a bistecca Fiorentina for lunch!

My holidays to Florence are never complete without a visit to Marios!

From one of your many fans from Malta!

• Visited April 2013