“Amazeballs!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #140 of 1,967 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Zeb Gastronomia, Florence’s unique bistro and gastonomia situated inside the old city wall in San Niccolò, is the innovation of owner Alberto Navari, who you will find dashing around the galley while his mother, Giuseppina, works her magic in the kitchen, bringing the best of Italian culinary tradition to Zeb’s seasonal menu.The gastronomia features an excellent selection of wines, pastas, pastries, chocolate, olive oil, cured meats and a sophisticated assortment of cheeses.
Montana, United States
“Amazeballs!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was the best meal we have had in Italy in a week. Found this restaurant on TripAdisor and decided to give it a try as it was only about 200m from our hotel. The staff was very friendly when we arrived and translated the menu for us. First course was spaghetti with black truffles and a eggplant and ricotta ravioli, and was a great way to start out our dining experience. For the second course we shared buffalo mozzarella with truffles and eggplant Parmesan, again amazing. We are not vegetarians but you couldn't tell the food didn't have any meat in it. If you are in Florence and looking for a good meal at a reasonable price, definitely make a reservation here and enjoy some great food, you will not regret it.

Service and Wine were also amazing. We had the menu translated and explained to us for each of the daily items.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Different and”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We went here on our last night in Florence after eating basically the same meals for about a week. I thought this meal was a welcome change from what we had been eating and I really enjoyed my meal of courgette flower ravioli which was slightly curried which was different to anything I had had all week.

We had dessert too. We tried all three - pear and chocolate cake, strawberry tart, and Mille feuille. My favourite was surprisingly the Mille feuille. They were all very good but I'd say that their savoury was better than their sweet though.

The only bad thing I could say was the we had to sit at the window seat so it was a little awkward ordering and chatting to each other but it was good for people watching. Also we didnt realise that there was a second course and I think some of us would have preferred that to the pasta.

If I came back to florence I'd definitely go again!

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“This is the best food - This is one of the reasons we go back to Florence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is my second review of Zeb - I sadly miscalculated last time and asked if this was the best food in Florence - I have subsequently answered my own question - it is!

I make the same points as before: this restaurant is tucked away in San Niccolo at the foot of the piazza Michelangelo (which is also a must see!), an area away from the main city but absolutely must be part of any itinerary for a Florence visit. You will feel instantly welcomed here irrespective of your nationality (the reviews suggesting otherwise are dubious in my opinion - we certainly look British and don't speak any Italian - this has NEVER been an issue).

Alberto will apologise for his poor English (he speaks perfect English) and will patiently explain exactly what is on offer at Zeb - which is in fact totally amazing pasta and a good variety of roasted meats and vegetarian main courses. I am vehemently anti-vegetarian (feel free to send me hate mail on that point) but the melanzane alla parmigiana that my vegetarian girlfriend had, had me back-pedalling at light speed on the vegetarian food issue - simply amazing (the roast pork on my plate was simply superb to be clear).

Everything at Zeb is amazing, but for me it is all about the pasta. If you like pasta and you don't go here, shame on you! A few other points: you can spend what you like on wine here - an excellent selection and you can sit at the counter or take a spot looking out into the street and watch the comings and goings at the ice-cream parlour opposite, or watch the people dining in the restaurant across the street, looking back at you, with jealousy, wishing they'd made a reservation at Zeb and were eating your food.

Nothing in it for me, but I can say of all my reviews (and I am boring a write quite a few) this is the restaurant I would give a 6 to (trip advisor don't allow this however). Go, enjoy, write a review and get Zeb up to where it belongs to be - number one for Florence.

I will be going back later in the year - I will update on how amazing the food still is then.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Look, point and eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Zeb is one of those places where you sit at a bar and ask for what is on the other side of the glass. Between my husband and myself, we tasted six different things (2 plates with 3 items each). They were all excellent. The rabbit fricassee was especially good. The chicken salad on rocket with perfect tomatoes was a treat. It is on the "wrong" side of the Arno and therefore a bit less touristy.

• Visited May 2013
Morrow, Ohio
“A tiny gem beneath Michelangelo's Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

After an afternoon at Michelangelo Square, we enjoyed an off-beat, eclectic meal at Zeb's. We arrived a few minutes before our reservation time of 7:30 and the waiter was a bit sullen and unprepared. He claimed not to speak English but he was willing to seat us at the little bar/restaurant and served us house wine. Despite this being a winery, our choice was red or white!

After a couple glasses of wine, either we were less particular about the waiter's manners or his English improved dramatically, but he described a wonderful menu written in long hand on a blackboard

We chose 3 different plates: pasta with truffles, fish with a delicate butter sauce and ravioli with ricotta and pairs. Delicious! Superb!

We enjoyed watching the restaurant fill up, which happened around 8:45pm. It's a tiny place so it didn't take long. The waiter's English got better and better as prettier girls arrived!

Despite his grumpiness , the meal was fabulous. I would definitely return.

• Visited May 2013