“Got to be one of the best restaurants in Florence” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Osteria di Giovanni

L'Osteria di Giovanni
Via del Moro, 22 | Aperto Solo a Cena E Domenica a Pranzo, 50123 Florence, Italy
+39 055 284897
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 1,970 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: At L’Osteria di Giovanni we not only maintain strict allegiance to traditional Tuscan dishes (including many antique recipes that are not commonly used these days), but we also experiment with new flavours and combinations, whilst remaining faithful to local and season produce. Popular new dishes include smoked duck breast on rocket salad and dressed in balsamic vinaigrette, tortelli stuffed with pear and pecorino, with leek and paprika sauce, pici with sausage and kale, and lamb slow-cooked with artichokes. We stronly believe that your restaurant experience should be unique and satisfying on every front. We look forward to welcoming you one day to L'Osteria di Giovanni.
Hartlepool
“Got to be one of the best restaurants in Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I ate at L'osteria di Giovanni with my wife and young son, after first contacting the restaurant through thier website, to book a table, which is highly recommended as it can get busy, however that in itself is a testament to this restaurant. The service was friendly and efficient, my wife and son had to have the Bisteca, which I must say was excellent, in all, if you like or want to try Tuscan cuisine go here. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are very proud to live and work in a city where there are a lot of really great restaurants, and to be considered one of the best by you is a wonderful feeling. Thank you. Truly pleased that you enjoyed your experience.

89% Recommend
  • Korean first
Belo Horizonte, MG
“Very good service and taste!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My friend recomended me to visit this place and try theis speciality: La Bisteca Fiorentina. Spectacular ! They have a very efficient service, good location and fair price.

Visited July 2013
CaterinaLatini, Proprietario at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Super! Glad that you had a good experience. Stay with us on facebook. Ciao.
otgwk
“4+ stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Saw the reviews for L'Osteria di Giovanni on Trip Advisor and booked a table through their website (very convenient). I dined with my two teenage daughters and we a enjoyed our meal tremendously. As others have mentioned, I was started with a nice refreshing glass of Prosecco. We were treated to bread and a savory fried dough (which I looked up and appears to be gnocco fritto). We tried not too eat too much of the fried dough, but it was delicious. We ordered the tomato, basil, garlic bread soup and cleaned the bowl! We also had pasta with eggplant, veal ossobuco and roasted lamb. All were delicious, especially the ossobuco. My only complaint would be that the lamb was a little well done for our taste. Desserts of tiramisu and chocolate cake were also very nice. The refreshing lemoncello was a nice complimentary treat along with the biscotti (which my daughter thought was so good she had to take some with her). Service was friendly and attentive. We felt we had time to relax but did not feel forgotten. The house wine was very good. This was one of our best (if not the best) meals in Italy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Our online booking via our website is a new service, and it's working frighteningly well. On the day we activated it just to test how it was working we got two bookings through before we even managed to test!
Delighted that you enjoyed your meal. We understand your comments about the lamb, we eat ours in Italy very well done whilst we know other countries do it somewhat pinker.
The fried bread dough are called coccoli and are exceptionally good!
Hopefully we will see you again one day.
los angeles
“Fabulous food in Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

After being disappointed with our concierge's restaurant recommendation for our first night in Florence, I started researching online and found L'Osteria di Giovanni, both on TripAdvisor and on a blog site on italianfix.com. Every member of my family loved their meal at L'Osteria di Giovanna. My husband started with the spelt and fagiolini soup, which was delicious. My daughter had a special appetizer that was vegetables sautéed with pesto and presented in a light, flaky pastry. My son and I split the Florentine bistecca, which was tender and flavorful. We couldn't decide between roast potatoes and deep fried zucchini flowers, so we ordered both. My daughter raved about her potato ravioli with mushroom sauce, and my husband enjoyed his fettuccini with meat sauce (although the pasta looked more like pappardelle to me, it was that wide). Since dinner was so delicious, we ordered the warm lemon cake and semmifreddo de pistachio for dessert. Both were yummy! Everyone was so impressed with their meal, we wanted to make reservations for the following day. But alas, the restaurant was scheduled to close for a 2-week vacation. I'm so glad we were able to dine at Osteria di Giovanni before it closed for vacation!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
And we are delighted that you made it too, before we close for a vacation. We shut in the summer for a couple of weeks as lots of Italians leave the cities for their holidays, and it gives us a chance to carry out those kitchen maintenance jobs that just can't be done with a restaurant service opening up every night! Our staff get a well-earned break, and even we get to dip our toes in the sea for a couple of days!

Thank you so much for commenting.
Washington, DC
“Pricier but Amazing Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The cost of a meal here is a bit more than some other restaurants we visited but the meal we had was amazing and they include a lot of freebies with your meal. Free glass of sparkling wine to start, free fried bread (also tasty regular bread), free biscotti, and free limoncello to finish off the meal. We split a pasta first course (ravioli in zuchini curry sauce) the was delicious and then both got steak Florentine for our meal. It was priced per KG and were a bit surprised at how much came out, but it was excellent. Everything was delicious and we'd highly recommend it.

Visited July 2013
You are right - bistecca alla fiorentina is a big hunk of meat, and is not what you need to ordering if you are not really hungry! So pleased that you enjoyed it!