“OK hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 220 Specialty Lodging in Florence
The Hague, The Netherlands
“OK hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A bit of a walk from the city center, but doable. Location itself not very pleasant, no bars/cafes and a very trafficked road. Would not walk home alone at night. Room was fine apart from a little dirty floors. Bathrooms were also not exactly spotless (which might be expected from shared facilities, but still), and in one of the bathrooms the door couldn't lock. For a couple traveling on a budget it's an ok place to stay, but if I were traveling alone I would go somewhere with a more "hang-out" atmosphere. I also think the price per room per night with shared facilities in a non-central location without breakfast, is somewhat expensive for a hostel, even for high season.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Located on a very busy main road so traffic noise was a bit of a problem. Reception were unfriendly and unhelpful. No problem with room itself (very nice), 2 communal showers on floor, but door to one bathroom broken so couldn’t lock. Self catering facilities provided, but we didn’t make use of these. Quite far from the centre of town (30 minutes). It was walkable, but quite a distance after a long day of sightseeing. No breakfast provided. Close to the train station. Wouldn’t recommend because of the location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Decent hostel situated on the main rain on the side end of the Firenze Railway station. Please be careful while walking towards Railway station, you might have to cross roads many times.

The Hostel reception is open until 10 PM. I checked in late night and the staffs were helpful. Initially i was allotted in a double bed room in 3rd floor where there was no curtain and hence it was very inconvenient for me. When i discussed this Mr. Mahendar, the front office staff .. he immediately helped me my allotted much more convenient room next day. Special thanks to him.

The room was nicely decorated and quite spacious, with bath towels and liquid soap.There is also a fully equipped kitchen in each floor. I never had issues with common washroom, it was clean and didnt had long queue. There are two washrooms to use in each floor.

There were no hand wash in toilet and the lift was extremely small, hardly a person can stand with two luggage.

Overall the stay was decent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hostel was clean and pretty convenient, was very close to the station. The rooms are nice and they have a pretty functional kitchen for each floor. Only issue was that the person at the counter wasn't overtly enthusiastic and was a little grumpy. Else, had a comfortable stay that was a bus/walk away from the attractions in Florence.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the Kitchen and facing the road may be quieter than you think cause the kitchens are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great hostel that offers walking distance the best parts of Florence (according to me). Really friendly staff, they helped me a lot when my bag got stolen at the streets. This hostel is more like an hotel to be honest and that could be good or bad in some cases, it depends on what you're after. Comfortable beds but the AC did not functioning as it would so the temperature were pretty high in the room at nights (not too hot though). The place itself were clean and most of the interior looked great for the price of the hostel. Great kitchen with a lot of equipment and the bathrooms (2 per floor) were great too. I paid 150 EU for seven nights and for that price I would recommend this place without any doubt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Ciao Hostel. The rooms are spacious and the single storey beds are a nice touch. Could do with additional bathrooms. I had a long and frustrating wait on a couple of occasions. Excellent wifi. Well equipped kitchen but small communal area with no power sockets. Each floor is isolated and self contained so opportunities to mix with other people are limited. No safes or lockers. Had to carry my valuables around with me all day.
Biggest problem was that reception is only open during office hours. I arrived late and despite emailing to advise of late arrival found the building in darkness with the front door firmly locked. Wouldn't have been able to gain entry all night but for the good fortune of a kindly fellow guest returning from a night on the town, letting me in to the lobby area. Not a good start to my holiday.
Good value for money, spotlessly clean, a ten minute walk from the train station. You could do a lot worse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My daughter and I spent 8 nights in this hostel in Florence making it a base for our daily trips around Tuscany. The hostel looked actually like a mini-hotel. There were no bunk beds - I liked that very much. "Traditional" beds make life easier and there was more space in rooms for their inhabitants. There was also a TV set in every room (though we didn't use one) and simple furniture like tables and chairs (not always seen in hostels). The kitchen was well-equipped though small. For a small hostel like that a small kitchen (and no common room) is not a problem I think - if your neighbours are great. In our case however there was a company of five or six young males and a female who left much dirt after them and didn't care about cleaning. Luckily, they came for a weekend only. It's nothing to blame the hostel for, of course. Two refrigerators worked perfectly but the kettle was leaking. There were also a toaster (we didn't use it) and a microwave owen (worked). No breakfast was included in price. Rooms were not en-suite, you have to use shared bathrooms (two on our floor - this was enough for a small number of guests so we didn't have to wait). No problems with hot water, toilet paper, anything like that. Most rooms faced the street (Guido Monaco) and it was quite noisy. We usually were so tired after our walking adventures that crawled into our beds and fell asleep immediately but if you wish to spend more time in the hostel you probably should ask for a room facing the yard. The yard was very green and cozy. Anyway, we had a balcony in our room, it was also a nice addition. I'd like to thank the staff for their assistance with booking and papers needed to get an Italian visas in Moscow. One of staff members even spoke fluent Russian! Moreover, we booked 2 beds in a 4-bed dorm but when we arrived we were offered a 2-bed room without any request and for no extra payment. It was very nice! Not only linen but also nice big towels were provided for free. Large wardrobe was useful and two electrical outlets were located right by our beds so it was easy to charge our gadgets (and we had many of them :) ). Wifi worked in our room and we didn't have to pay any extra fee for it. The signal was not always perfect but I would not complain about that. Ciao hostel is not in the very historical centre of the city. From my point of view it is very conveniently located. It took us about 10 mins to walk to the SMN train station and a little bit more to the heart of Florence. The nearest grocery is Conad (close to SMN and on the way to the hostel), open until 8:30pm, though there are other shops in the area (you have to ask locals if you need them). The nearest bus stop is located right across the street (Guido Monaco) from the entrance of the hostel, there are also useful stops nearby, in particular at Porta-al-Prato (near the huge arch) where you can e.g. take a minibus to all popular attractions of Florence from SMN monastery to Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. If you walk a little further you can get to Cascine city park - a nice piece of greenery stretching along Arno river. At whole, I would recommend Ciao Hostel as cheap accommodation in Florence, something between a hostel and a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the yard if you prefer quiter atmosphere - though mind that most of rooms face...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ciao Hostel? Share your experiences!