“Near Station, great kitchen and very clean.” 5 of 5 stars

Ciao Hostel
Via Guido Monaco 34, 50144 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #71 of 203 Specialty lodging in Florence
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia
“Near Station, great kitchen and very clean.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great value and location for doing day trips. Florence is relatively small so it is not to far to walk into the old town. Very clean rooms, and great kitchen facilities. Closest supermart is at the main train station. We stayed in a twin private and found a very clean modern comfortable room. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ferney-Voltaire, Rhone-Alpes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed two nights in Florence. The hostel is very well situated 5 minutes walking form the historic centre. Very clean and comfortable rooms and friendly receptionist. Highly recommended! As you need to do in every hostel...never forget to right your name in the things youstore in the fridge.. ;)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days on our way to Rome from Switzerland. This did not feel like a hostel (had a hotel feel to it), was very clean and extremely affordable. The location was perfect with just a few min walk to the train station.

-- The receptionist was very helpful with the places to visit, mode of travel, answering our question etc. in fluent English which was a big plus in Italy.
-- We had picked a double room and a single dorm bed. The double room where I stayed was quite spacious with a balcony facing the main road.
-- The rooms are very clean and wifi is accessible even in the top floors.
-- The shared kitchen is quite neat and has everything that is needed.
-- The hostel is located within a few min walk to most attractions and sights like the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio etc.

The only issue we faced was with the bathrooms.
There are 2 shared bathrooms per floor and get quite dirty based on the number of people using them. Our floor had 4 double rooms and at peak time it was almost impossible to get a vacant bathroom.

All in all, a great value for money.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms on the top floors; less traffic noise and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Spent three nights with my family of four in mid-July. Our room (four beds) was clean and comfortable. Shared bath was fine (there were two on our floor) but one toilet was missing a seat and the other did not have a lock on its door. The kitchen was certainly serviceable and good to have. Location is a good 20 minute walk to the Duomo, but of course we knew it was a bit of a walk. The immediate area was fine, felt safe walking to/from. Our room was a bit noisy with road traffic though. Staff was very helpful and friendly and of course the price was right.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the street - a lot of traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here for two nights whilst in Florence. The location was fairly convenient, walking distance to the train station and the historic centre. Each dorm has a number of single beds, rather than bunk-beds, which were comfortable and made for a nice change. Our floor (and I'm assuming the other floors also) had two bathrooms with showers and a well equipped kitchen and nice communal area, which were all clean. Security is fairly good, you need a key to access your floor and your room. However, there are no lockers in the rooms which is inconvenient. The staff behind the counter were nice and allowed us to store our laptop behind the desk, but some lockers would have been better. Overall, our stay at Ciao Hostel was really good and we would recommend it. Note that reception is not 24 hours. Also there are a few mosquitoes in the building so maybe bring insect repellent!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hostel is what you would expect, if not a bit more. There are very helpful receptionists willing to advise you on where to go, book you on to anything and answer any questions.

The room was very spacious, with a big mirror, clean, modern and white. We stayed there 3 days and our only issue with the rooms was there was no maid service so it got a bit messy.

The kitchen is communal, basic pots and pans, 2 fridges. Strangely you have to walk through a living area to use one of the two bathrooms. But it was a nice space to use with a fire exit also. The showers are very good but there are 4 rooms in your block for 3/4 people per room so it's a bit of a fight to get a bathroom at times. Also toilet paper ran out very quickly and showers got a bit dirty quickly.

This hostel would be much better if situated nearer to the city, it became a bit of a trek walking to and from the hostel. At night this is a bit scary and the road crossing are a bit awkward - the roads are very busy and you cannot avoid crossing to get into the city.

Another issue is how noisy the room is at night as you are based next to a main road... so noisy that my friend asked me to close the window – but it was already closed!

Overall, it was good value for money, but location not great. Perfect for young people travelling - not couples.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I did not actually stay at this hostel, however, I accidentally made a booking with them while I was trying to book for Mary's Hotel in Paris. After my confirmations were sent and I double checked everything, it came to my attention that I had booked for Ciao Hostel. Realizing that the two had completely different addresses and were not even in the same city, I quickly emailed them to ask for a clarification. Not only were they very prompt in replying my email - I received a response in 16 minutes, they immediately assured me that my reservation will be cancelled. Worrying that my credit card would still be charged, I asked again to make sure there would be no charges, and surely enough, a very prompt reply was received confirming with me that no charges were made to my credit card.

If I were to ever visit Florence, I would definitely stay with Ciao Hostel judging by this awesome experience. Thank you so much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ciao Hostel? Share your experiences!