“Not very central, but nice room” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Leone X
Via Leone X 4, 50129 Florence, Italy (Formerly Soggiorno Leone X)   |
Ranked #351 of 507 Florence B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Not very central, but nice room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Room was large; Estefani, the receptionist was very helpful. However, no one was there upon our arrival. To be fair, we were supposed to inform the B&B of our arrival time, but that wasn't possible. A guest coming out did let us in the main door. I then telephoned and Estefani was at the hotel within 15 minutes. No elevator, so we had to walk up two flights of stairs. Because we were leaving for the airport at 4:30 am Estefani provided us with a box breakfast. She provided us with a hot cup of coffee for then and a thermos for the am. She also arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 4:30 in the morning.

So, while we did get some good service, not having someone on the premises is a big minus.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

After emailing back the owners after booking with them they had requested our ETA. I emailed back 14:00. We arrived at 13:30 and waited until 15:10, outside the building only coming inside after another resident let us in. Knocking on the b&bs door saw no one answer become inpatient because we had limited time and alot to see I rang numerous neighbours numbers until one rang the owner on her mobile for me and we were to she would be right there. When she arrived we got no apology for her lateness and no answer as to why. The bathroom inside the room we stayed in had hair all over it, the floor and sink. There was dust and dirt under and behind the bed. Our first night was spent being bitten all night by Mosquitos, quite a sleepless night. The pillows where flat like crepes. The aircon in the room didnt have a remote to control it and with no one around until the next morning we couldn't do anything about the hot room. The room itself had no light in the roof just lamps either side of the room. The shower almost flooded because it wouldnt take the water fast enough. Breakfast the following morning was average. Our second night I spent time spraying my room out with insect spray before bed that I found cans of in the hallway, also that night we had 2 groups ringing the b&bs door bell, I ignored them for the first 10 minutes as it wasnt my job to climb 3 flights of stairs and answer their door. After 10 minutes I opened it and explained I didn't work for the b&b merely was staying there and I couldn't let them in unless they called the owner and it was ok because I could be held responsible if anything happened letting people in. All in all too many headaches I dont expect everything to be perfect but this just wasn't good enough.

• Stayed July 2011
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Well, I'll start with the pros. The rooms are quite large and the bathrooms are enormous by European standards. The owners seem like lovely people, and there is almost no street noise to be heard from the rooms.

Now on to the cons, which unfortunately outweigh the pros in my opinion.

Firstly, we confirmed our arrival time twice by email, including the day before we arrived. We got there spot on the time that we nominated, and had to buzz the doorbell from the street (the B&B seems to be situated on the third and top floor of a rented office building). After buzzing for a little while, we were let in by some other guests who informed us that the owners would be back shortly. Since we weren't left waiting on the street, we didn't mind. Forty minutes later, a young woman arrived and started telling us off for arriving "whenever we feel like it". I explained to her twice that we confirmed our arrival time in TWO emails, but she just kept telling me off. She was extremely rude and unhelpful. The next morning the owner apologised for not being there to greet us and said that he had left a message on my phone to say that the girl was running late, but I did not have my mobile phone with me in Europe.

Our room was unfortunately off the communal kitchen, which meant that there was a lot of noise during breakfast (I wore earplugs and couldn't hear anything though).

The plumbing in the room makes a godawful noise every time the toilet is flushed and periodically when using water from the sink or shower. Although this noise is normal for this type of plumbing system, I don't think it's something I could ever get used to (it nearly gave me a heart attack on several occasions). The room also had signs everywhere saying to use only a little bit of toilet paper, to flush several times and that any disrepair would be added to the price of the room.

Perhaps this is why we were given almost no toilet paper during our stay. The reception is only manned during the morning (abandoned by midday) and for an hour or so in the afternoon from what we could tell, which meant there wasn't even anyone to ask for more. Even when someone came into our room to make up the bed and replace towels, they did not replace the toilet paper!

Lastly, the owner recommended a restaurant close by for our last night, and unfortunately it was very cold and raining heavily. We persevered anyway, and finally found the restaurant to discover that it was closed on Mondays. There weren't any other restaurants in the area, either.

However, I am sure that this was an honest mistake, as the owners seemed like lovely people. They even went to the trouble of putting a breakfast plate in our room on the last night of our stay, as we were leaving quite early when no one would be around. They seem to have "day jobs" and run the B&B as a side thing, which would explain why the service is lacking and feels laboured.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We found Alessandro & Mery who ran this B&B to be very helpful and accommodating - we arrived at midnight on the first night and left our room at about 07h30 on the first morning - we got breakfast and croissants to take with on our trip to Cinque Terre. Alessandro gave us tips regarding Florence, recommended a church and mass times and when we left, kept our luggage until we departed well after check-out time. The room was clean, and good value for money. It was a 10-15 minute walk from the main station and also about 10-15 minutes from the centre of Florence (my wife and I are 40 and 54 years old respectively). If you need a base to explore the area and a decent place to crash at night, then this place is great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
South West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

We had a great stay in this lovely B&B. The room was great and the owners were really welcoming and extremely helpful. Was really great value and only a 15 minute walk into the heart of Florence. We would thoroughly recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Bed & Breakfast Leone X? Share your experiences!