“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was so happy to find this little place tucked away after crossing the Ponte Vecchio. It is pretty small, with about 8 or so seats in the bar inside and a few two tops. The small patio has several more tables which can accomodate up to 4 diners.

They have a great wine list both by the bottle and the glass and the food offerings are generally small, shared plates. The salumi platter and the cheese selections had me almost crying tears of joy for my first Italina meal of the trip. We also had a smoked trout platter with arugula and tomoates and olives as well. Service was friendly and no slower than typically found in Italy, but seemed to be mainly due to the crowd when we were there.

I highly recommend this little gem

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

NM
“Best for what it does”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Introduced to me several years ago by two poor painters, Le Volpi e l'Uve is a tiny restaurant just over the Ponte Vecchio that, despite its location, is often not discovered. This is appropriate in a way because its mission seems to be to highlight overlooked wines and foods, primarily of Italy, though French cheeses making a showing here. I tend to see students, artists and art historians, ex pats, and local business people there--those in the now apparently.
Every time I go here, I experience something new, inexpensive, and usually quite good. (Once I ordered a sampling of artisanal cheeses and truly was not up to appreciating the odd rarities. Once I get to the goat cheeses, sorry, I am not able to proceed. My issue, not theirs, of course. This was my only suboptimal experience there ever.) This is where I first tasted Nero D'Avola when it was a few euro a bottle, my first Fiano di Avellino, and my first Vermentino Nero; I left with bottles of the first two and am going back today to try what looks to be an interesting rosso from Bolgheri.
This year, my experience is that the food has gone over the top in terms of fabulous while remaining the best bang for the buck in Florence. I am here for a month, trying to eat out only once a day, a difficult task, but one mandated by the economy. I cannot seem to find a lunch for less than 25-30 euros with wine, except at Volpi. That does not mean it cant be done, but in this case, why try! Two examples: I have always hated buffalo mozzarella, a slimy, tasteless cheese with a suspicious consistency. One of the owners (I believe they are all 4 sommeliers, but if not, apparently Riccardo IS) offered me a big blob of mozzarella to try--he was obviously QUITE proud of it, having imported it from the South--and in order to seem appreciative, I accepted a piece the size of a golf ball. He made me put the whole thing in my mouth at once, so there was no equivocating on my part. I had no choice but to bite down and chew. And chew I did! What a delight! The cheese was fabulous, nicely chewy, a little salty, full of a bizarrely subtle but remarkable flavor! I tried unsuccessfully to buy some to take home, because this is now and suddenly one of my favorite cheeses.
They also import from the South probably the best bread I have had anywhere, anytime--a big chewy round loaf, the top of which they cut off and use as the base of their crostone. It is covered with asiago cheese, then melted and topped with a variety of ingredients, to be chosen by the customer. I chose the tomatoes and olives and keep going back for the same thing again and again, because I know I will never find this anywhere else. I also tried to buy some of this bread to take home, also unsuccessfully. For some reason, the wines you can buy, but the food is all special order, and I suspect they have a huge demand for the limited quantities. 11 euro for a giant crostone and a glass of wine, not to mention a sample of a chianti and the mozzarella. Are you kidding me??!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent stop for a light lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had lunch here twice during our trip to Florence. You can choose wines by the glass and order as many small plates of food as your appetite dictates. We actually ordered too much on our first visit, a delicious cheese and bread plate with beautiful fresh tomatoes and truffle oils.It is a lovely way to enjoy a tasty lunch without feeling too full to move in the afternoon. A great place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“fabulous wine and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

the wine was fabulous lovely to try different wines by the glass. The service was excellent too, we had reserved a table outside before we visited florence and glad we did as all were reserved by 7pm. The aspect is not great, no amazing views but the wine and the service more than make up for it!

Visited September 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great wine choices and good snacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a wine bar hat serves food such as salami or cheese plates, crostini, bruschetta etc. It's not a restaurant, Wine list of local, quality wines by the glass or bottle is very good. Small number of seats inside and more outside but not a huge place. Few minutes from Ponte Vecchio and Pitti Palace. Staff are very knowledgeable about the wine, when they choose to be. We noticed on our two visits that whilst we were merely served our glasses of wine (and on one occasion we had three!) other people had full explanations of the wine and were shown the bottle etc. So service variable int that respect. We really enjoyed our wine and food however; and were more than happy choosing and enjoying alone. Prices reasonable.

• Visited September 2013