“Great food, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Brisbane, Australia
“Great food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My friend and I stopped here for lunch and I am so glad that we did. The food was fantastic. Authentic, tasty and just good all round.

Brussels, Belgium
“Truly excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

At this trattoria we had our best meal in Florence, no wonder there was an impressive queue outside. Everything was delicious and had a lovely "homemade" touch, the soup was incredible and risotto with pumpkin excellent.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, PA
3,298 helpful votes 3,298 helpful votes
“Simply delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had lunch here twice and we were only in Florence three days. The menu changes daily depending on what is fresh and in season. Just be aware the seating is limited and cramped and payment is cash only. But for that small "sacrifice" you get outstanding, freshly prepared food.

For our first lunch, I had one of my favorite dishes they make - four cheese risotto. My husband had ravioli with butter and cheese. With wine and grilled vegetables, our tab was 27 euros.

For our second lunch, we had pici with cinghiale sauce, pasta tartufi, beans, grilled vegetables and wine, for 34 euros. Once again, the food was incredible.

They have meat dishes and desserts as well, but we usually just stick to the pastas and veggies for lunch.

I cannot recommend this trattoria highly enough. We have sent many friends and coworkers here and everyone just loves it.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Tasty, Typical Tuscan Food, Unusual LayOut: Glassed-In Kitchen viewed from street & on the way to dining room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I've been going to Il Buongustai for years, every time I'm in Florence, unless my trip's in August when this favorite of mine is closed.

Once, when we had no intention of ordering pasta there, the incredible fragrance of the pasta with fresh, homemade 'pesto di rucola' sauce (arugula pesto), being savored by a couple at an adjoining table, was so irresistible that we changed our plans & were glad we did!
Another thing that I like about this osteria, besides the tasty food & the very reasonable prices, is that it is a 100% female operation. All the personnel, from the cooks to the waiters, are women. The lay-out is interesting, too: because the kitchen is enclosed in glass wall-windows, you can look into it from a narrow one on the street, & the whole length of it from the longer one that makes up one side of the corridor leading to the dining room. So you see the ladies making up the meals, before you get to your table. It's a very relaxed, convivial, come-as-you-are type of place, just like the Italians generally are: no standing on ceremony! Just the natural enjoyment of good food made with the right ingredients at the perfect state of freshness. The desserts, which are in a display case that you pass by on the way to your table, are mouth-watering to look at, & each time I promise myself that 'this time', I'll order one. But I never have enough room left to do so! In all the years I've been enjoying lunches at Il Buongustai, I was only once disappointed, when I ordered an octopus salad in which there were too few pieces of octopus in proportion to the amount of potatoes. This is the famous "Insalata di Polpo all'Elbana," i.e. the way it's made on the island of Elba, with potatoes & parsley.
You must know, however, that they don't take reservations & the line outside can at times be daunting. The best way to avoid the long lines is either to get there early for lunch or late!

Otherwise, we've always been completely satisfied.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Midlands UK
“Great lunch stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a small restaurant in a side street of Florence not far from the Duomo and other popular attractions. We stopped there for lunch after a visit to the Uffizi. It was very busy with a lively atmosphere. It's small with only a few tables and obviously popular, so we had to queue. One of the other people in the queue was quite rude and tried to push in front of us but the waitress knew what had happened and made sure we were served first. She was very friendly and looked after us well. The menu is simple with a variety of pasta, rice dishes and bruschetta. We both had pasta which was very tasty, and we chose delicious tiramisu for dessert. I would definitely recommend this place as the food was good and not expensive.

Visited October 2013