Italy is a magical country and maybe the best place in the world for a great vacation. I've been to Tuscany before for the sights and the food. This was the first time though in Cortona and the Poggio Sant' Angelo proved the perfect place to stay. A lovely country inn situated just right to serve as the ideal launching pad to see the region. Stayed in the Lauro room, in the attic under the eaves. Quiet, clean and a great bathroom and shower. It was too chilly for the pool but I enjoyed sitting outside to smoke my cigars. (There are various little nooks and crannies for sitting and enjoying the fresh air and trees.)
But the best part was the food. Pleasant breakfasts outside started each day. One free dinner was included in the price but the food is so good -- in a region where bad food must be impossible to get -- that we went back for dinner twice more that week. From there it was easy to visit Sienna and Perugia too. The staff was very helpful and attentive but left us alone when we didn't need any help.
Cortona itself is a magical walled city on a hill and the Poggio is only a few miles away. I look forward to going back and staying there again. Umbria is close by and I hope to get to Montepulciano next time for the wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Poggio Sant'Angelo is a typical farm house of Valdichiana recently renovated to become an elegant country house with fenced garden and swimming pool. Located between the towns of Cortona (15 km) and Foiano della Chiana (5 km) is the ideal place for those who want to start excursions around the provinces of Siena, Arezzo and Perugia. The nearby motorway allows you to reach Perugia and Siena in 30 minutes while passing through the rolling hills of Siena in about 30/40 minutes the towns of Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Castiglione del Lago can be reached. Many wineries are found nearby that have a small production of high quality wines, and from here you can go to horseback riding and mountain biking along the paths of reclamation. Rooms at the Poggio Sant'Angelo are all very spacious and well-appointed with private bathroom and air conditioning, and an excellent restaurant on site allows you to spend a relaxing evening followed by a restfull sleep. We speak perfect English and German and fluent Spanish ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Poggio Sant'Angelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bed And Breakfast Poggio Sant`Angelo
- b&b Poggio Sant`Angelo Hotel Cortona