“Amazing Tuscan honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 22 hotels in Cortona
New York City, New York
“Amazing Tuscan honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed at La Corte Dei Papi for our honeymoon and the entire experience exceeded our expectations. David runs the accommodations, restaurant and hotel property with consummate elegance – and he joyfully assists with your every single need.

We rented bikes for a day trip through the Tuscan wine country; we walked to Cortona for a few meals (albeit the BEST meals we had while there were at La Corte Dei Papi’s main restaurant); sat by the luxurious pool nearly everyday; and enjoyed an outstanding free of charge breakfast buffet out on the patio every morning.

We did a lot of research in booking this trip; and I must say, we nailed it with La Corte Dei Papi. We think about it all the time and often tell our friends that if they ever go to Tuscany, there is no point in looking elsewhere.

One of our fondest memories of David was when he personally carved the steak at our first honeymoon dinner in Tuscany at his restaurant. He is a total gentleman. The food is to die for; the ambiance is outstanding; and this it the best place to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The impression I got is that really, my family and I were being expected, not as guests but as friends, or guests or as relatives we had not seen for ages.
I felt at home, with the advantage of being in a magical setting and have hospitality and tasteful David noted in all details and pampering its guests.
It Gets leave without wanting to come back next season and take a little Corte del Papi in our hearts.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are amazing.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We had planned to stay here a year ago because of the reviews on Trip Advisor in order to celebrate a family birthday. We were not disappointed in the least; instead, we were continuously impressed with the Relais, with the food, with our rooms, and most especially David Papi. David is beyond charming - warm, wonderful, caring and tremendously considerate of his guests. During the week we stayed, David helped plan a wonderful birthday dinner, gave suggestions for some delightful outings, organized small group tours to Assisi, Orvieto and the wine country, and looked after us early in the morning 'till late at night. He even worked things out when our plans fell through! We had a great time and look forward to returning when the weather is warmer, as I'd love to see the pool and restaurant on a beautiful summer evening!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Anacortes, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My first experience with David and Mamma Gabriella was in 2009 when my girlfriends and I stayed for about four days. The hospitality was amazing and David patiently coached my very elementary Italian. I told them when we left that I would bring my husband back to meet them and see their incredible villa. It took four years but we included a stop on our 40th anniversary trip through Italy in June. David and Gabriella welcomed me back like long last family and the hospitality was once again incredible. This time there were several new suites added to the property and a remodeled restaurant and garden...All lovely improvements. The food in the restaurant was great (especially the seafood stew) and breakfast buffet was great. I was so happy to be able to share with my husband one of the loveliest places I have stayed and the beautiful town of Cortona. Thanks so much to David and Gabriella for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: It's a restored villa with stairs to second floor. If that's an issue, ask about one of the...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I am a little (okay a lot) late in my review. I went to Corte dei Papi September 4, 2013 for only 1 night, because it was completely booked the other days. I took what I can get, so I stayed 1 night, when we wanted to stay longer. I must say that the hotel and surroundings is like you walked into a bit of quiet heaven. It is truly a quiet place, serene is the appropriate word, it's a place you stay if you just need some peace.
I fell totally in love with the hospitality and of course David's unbelievable kindness. At one point I was thinking, can this man be real? I even asked how can he be single?!? My husband and I totally found the place superb, and the food was amazing. (not traditional italian at all)
David, I'm still waiting for that cream pea soup that I thought I died and went to heaven.
Yes the room is a little darker than I would have liked, we don't have the greatest of sights, but it is clean, and quiet and well decorated in the "era" fashion, with a very modern bathroom and shower.
Honestly, if I'm going to Cortona, that is the place I would stay again without a doubt.
Thank you David for making me believe in genuine kindness!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

From the time we arrived at the La Corte Dei Papi we were treated like special guests. We came from Seville, Spain and then Florence, but the most memorable stay was at the Inn. David was a perfect host and the staff was as if they knew us. I would strongly recommend the Inn as a hub for travelling throughout Tuscany or for just relaxing and enjoying the area around Cortona.
We will be back!! John, Linda and Kelly Bohon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed there the first week of December 2013 and we were very, very pleased with not only the fantastic Inn but also the two innkeepers. David and his mom Gabrella we're perfect hosts the entire stay. Breakfasts were super and they would fix you anything you wish. We mention touring a winery, David said "no problem" and he had the best tour ever! This property should easily rate as RELAIS CHATEAUX Inn by their standards. SO HAPPY WE FOUND THIS AND EXPERIENCED IT.
John,Judy Bob, Florida

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Relais La Corte dei Papi? Share your experiences!