“Fabulous base to explore Tuscan hill towns” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Cortona
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous base to explore Tuscan hill towns”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After 3 days in Lucca, we headed here by car for 5 nights in May using Cortona as a base to explore the Tuscan Hill towns (recommend Montepulciano, Pienza and Val D'Orcia especially!). This is a truly special Hotel with a fabulous gourmet restaurant. We strongly recommend it. The landscaping and pool area are lovely too (I just wish the weather had been a bit better so we could have enjoyed it more). It is expensive but well worth it. After a day of traveling around the countryside this was the perfect place to return, relax, enjoy a Prosecco by the pool, and a lovely dinner (the food is fabulous!).

The host David Papi is wonderful. He is truly passionate about his work and this property (which was in his family for generations). He talks about having grown up here with his grandfather and you can tell this is not just a job but a dream come true for him to have turned this property into an amazingly beautiful and elegant hotel and restaurant. David is invested in every detail in insuring his guests are well cared for. The rest of his staff is great as well; even his mother is there quietly helping out!

Lots to like.. definitely consider this Relais if heading to Tuscany. Note: it was an easy drive back to Florence from here. We dropped our car at the Florence airport and took a taxi into Florence (don't want a car there).. just another idea if you are heading this way!

Notes on rooms: We chose one of the two small rooms (Room 25 on the 2nd floor) and if you are on a budget, this is a very good deal for a couple of nights, though if we return (which I hope we do), I would splash out for a larger room with a seating area. Note: David showed us Room 22 in the Main House which is especially nice with its own enormous private balcony; definitely something for a special occasion! Again, if our budget can handle it, next time I would love to get one of the slightly larger rooms.

Room Tip: Notes on rooms: We chose one of the two small rooms (Room 25 on the 2nd floor) and if you are on a...

381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our 10th wedding anniversary and the Corte Dei Papi - and we could not have been more well taken care of. The Relais owner, David Papi, is one of the warmest hosts I have come across in my travels. He is working to insure his guests and hotel are well taken care of from Dawn to Dusk (David - do you sleep?). He has converted his family home into the Relais, and takes the pride of ownership and achievement to another level.

We stayed in a newly renovated Deluxe Spa Suite. This was one of the most unique rooms I have come across in my travels. First, the room has a Turkish Bath. This is really a steam room and shower all in one. It is huge (the size of my first NYC apartment) - with soothing music and lights inside. I spent all my free time in it. My wife choose the bathtub - which I think could fit 10 people. The bed is superbly comfortable - the furniture beautiful. The room was truly as immaculate as the service.

My only complaint was that David could not make the weather better for us (rain and 50 degrees, come on!). Thank you to David and his family for making our 10 year anniversary so special. We cannot wait to see you again....

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in May 2013. This hotel is great and David really makes every guest feel like a privileged customer. Our room was opulently decorated and perfectly clean, being made up twice a day.

The restaurant is amazing, we loved everything we tried and the wine list was varied which is great as the hotel is (Sorry David) a little far from town but with food this good, why go anywhere else?

The pool was clean and the gardens well maintained.

Upon check out, David was kind enough to give us a tour of the new rooms which are nearly ready for their first guests. I hope we can come back soon and stay in one of these as they were amazing.

Thanks for a perfect stay.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Relais La Corte dei Papi, and could easily have stayed 5 more. It is an amazing property located very close to Cortona (a gorgeous town) and many other sites in Tuscany. The owner and tireless host, David Papi, was charming and welcoming, and definitely made our experience at the Relais that much better. We stayed in one of the cottages, which had it's own little front patio, perfect for drinking wine in the afternoon. Also, the restaurant is an experience not to be missed. We had three delicious dinners there - the highlight being the tagliata. And we highly recommend the cooking class - a very fun experience and a great introduction to Tuscan cuisine. We will definitely be back, and can't wait to stay in one of the brand-new gorgeous spa rooms!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We saw several rooms, and all were pretty much over-decorated in an antique style. The manager, David Papi, is very charming and attentive, and is working very hard to make this a high end destination, which it is not, at least not yet. But it is very good, and the fixed price dinner is better than very good. The clientele is international, and my impression is that guests were, for the most part, seasoned travelers. I would stay here again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Upon arrival at La Corte dei Papi we felt at home. The staff was very kind and helpful but David Papi's genuine and welcoming personality is really the highlight of this place. From the recommendations for day trips, restaurants in the area and wineries to visit, everything was spot on.

Perhaps the most incredible surprise was the restaurant -- we stayed three nights and ate there twice. The menu is small but varied and I savored every bite of the local and seasonal delicacies. Oh, and the wine selection was of course spectacular. You can't go wrong with any of David's recommendations.

I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I traveled to Tuscany with my wife last August and stayed at Relais la Corte dei Papi. It is idealy situated close to Cortona and is a good spot for basing yourselves whilst exploring this amazing region of Italy. The hotel itself is very nice with a fantastic garden area and pool.

As with the other reviews, David the host is extremely welcoming and very friendly, he makes you feel at home from the moment you arrive. David's personality really makes the place what it is; very special.

The restaurant on site serves amazing food. I am still craving one of the dishes which was a family recipe involving cod, tomatoes, olives and lots of spices cooked in an individual pot - a family recipe I was told.

I would not hesitate to recommend to friends, family and other travelers but I would mention that we found it quite expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais La Corte dei Papi? Share your experiences!