After 3 days in Lucca, we headed here by car for 5 nights in May using Cortona as a base to explore the Tuscan Hill towns (recommend Montepulciano, Pienza and Val D'Orcia especially!). This is a truly special Hotel with a fabulous gourmet restaurant. We strongly recommend it. The landscaping and pool area are lovely too (I just wish the weather had been a bit better so we could have enjoyed it more). It is expensive but well worth it. After a day of traveling around the countryside this was the perfect place to return, relax, enjoy a Prosecco by the pool, and a lovely dinner (the food is fabulous!).
The host David Papi is wonderful. He is truly passionate about his work and this property (which was in his family for generations). He talks about having grown up here with his grandfather and you can tell this is not just a job but a dream come true for him to have turned this property into an amazingly beautiful and elegant hotel and restaurant. David is invested in every detail in insuring his guests are well cared for. The rest of his staff is great as well; even his mother is there quietly helping out!
Lots to like.. definitely consider this Relais if heading to Tuscany. Note: it was an easy drive back to Florence from here. We dropped our car at the Florence airport and took a taxi into Florence (don't want a car there).. just another idea if you are heading this way!
Notes on rooms: We chose one of the two small rooms (Room 25 on the 2nd floor) and if you are on a budget, this is a very good deal for a couple of nights, though if we return (which I hope we do), I would splash out for a larger room with a seating area. Note: David showed us Room 22 in the Main House which is especially nice with its own enormous private balcony; definitely something for a special occasion! Again, if our budget can handle it, next time I would love to get one of the slightly larger rooms.
- Also Known As:
- Relais La Corte Dei Papi Hotel Cortona
- Relais La Corte Dei Papi Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in the Tuscan countryside, just few minutes from Cortona, La Corte dei Papi is an oasis of peace and quiet, ideal for those who like to enjoy traditional local atmosphere. All rooms are each unique in decor with handmade antique furnishings and fine crafted linens. Our restaurant offers guests traditional Tuscan dishes alongside with more modern and elaborate culinary combinations. To add to atmosphere, during summer, guests can dine outside, around the swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Escapio, Venere and Otel so you can book your Relais La Corte dei Papi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.