My very first review on Trip Advisor goes to the extraordinary Relias La Corte dei Papi. Some travel stories are worth repeating: We booked the Relais the day before we showed up on a travel site I had never heard of as it didn't show availability on any other site and we were hoping to stay there on one of our nights in Tuscany. Turns out that site didn't realize the hotel was closed for rennovations as the hotel is expanding (adding another 8 rooms) and took the reservation. Not knowing that, we showed up in our car late after driving all day and the owner David was there in a suit waiting to open the hotel just for us on our honeymoon (which he didn't know about). We showed up late so no telling how long he was waiting since he had no idea when were going to show. The kindness didn't stop there... he opened up the restaurant as well, just for us. I travel a lot all over and I've never seen a hotel go more out of their way to accomodate guests. And boy were we lucky, it is a beautiful property and the restaurant has great ambiance and food. This is the kind of hotel that makes a great break during a busy week traveling in Tuscany. My wife and I were recently married in Hawaii but this place made us wish we had considered Tuscany. Working with David would have been a dream in comparison to the wedding machine in Maui.
The room was large for a hotel anywhere in the world (we had a suite) with modern amenities, comfortable (though it still had Eurpoean firm beds like just about everywhere in Tuscany), the food met the very high Tuscan standard and the service was the best we experienced in Italy and we stayed in some wonderful 5 star Trip Advisor hotels throughout Tuscany on our 10 day trip. We can't wait to go back to the Relais which is normally the litmust test for a place worth booking. The hotel is about a 5 minute drive from Cortona which is neat town to watch the sunset from or enjoy morning coffee above in as it resides on a hill above the early morning fog. Don't miss the Etruscan museum in town.. artifacts going back to the 7th century BC.. we were museumed out but that was worth seeing.
Can't recommend this place highly enough. Thank you David for a wonderful experience.
- Also Known As:
- Relais La Corte Dei Papi Hotel Cortona
- Relais La Corte Dei Papi Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in the Tuscan countryside, just few minutes from Cortona, La Corte dei Papi is an oasis of peace and quiet, ideal for those who like to enjoy traditional local atmosphere. All rooms are each unique in decor with handmade antique furnishings and fine crafted linens. Our restaurant offers guests traditional Tuscan dishes alongside with more modern and elaborate culinary combinations. To add to atmosphere, during summer, guests can dine outside, around the swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Relais La Corte dei Papi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.