“excellent start to out honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Cortona
Mokena, Illinois
“excellent start to out honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We started out honeymoon off at this wonderful hotel and restraunt which is out in the countryside of cortona. It is only a few minute drive to the town. We stayed in one of the great cottages that they offer. The food was excellent and so was the service. The hotel and grounds are amazing. There is an amazing garden and pool area. The staff were extremely friendly. The owner David was always there to help us and answer questions about the area. We look forward to going back sometime soon to stay there again.
Ed&Jennifer

Room Tip: we stayed in a cottage. there are only 2 available so you will have to book it early if you want on...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I went with a small group of women to paint in Cortona, in September. We went to dinner here one evening and were completely enchanted be the place. David and his mother were so kind and accomodating. Dinner was excellant! The grounds were immaculate. They invited us back to paint and have lunch the next day! Wow!
Can not say enough wonderful things about these folks and their beautiful home!
April Denney

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My husband and I got married at the beginning of September 2011 and used Le Corte Dei Papi as our wedding reception. Without doubt, the day was the best day of our lives.
David, along with Federica from the Italian Wedding Event, ensured that everything about the wedding celebration was perfect.
We got married at a local church, and then had the reception at the Relais where the food that was served was fantastic, the cake was the biggest I have ever seen and the party that followed ended up as a pool party!
David's hospitality was unquestionable. He attended to our every need and made sure that our family and friends thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My new wife and I got married at Corte dei Papi two weeks ago and I can honestly it was the most amazing day of our lives. The venue served as the most perfect setting for the day and can only be described as a true Tuscan dream which I’m sure our guests would agree with. David (the owner) is tiresome in his dedication to the hotel and the service was impeccable - the venue deserves its five star reviews. On the run up to the wedding he answered every question we had and on arrival we were truly impressed with how helpful he was. Apart from a mistake on the wedding day when the wrong dessert was served (luckily it was still nice), the day was otherwise lovely.

As a result it pains me to write this next section but it would not be an honest review if I didn’t. So…now for the negative. We had been pre-warned by another local supplier in the area that David’s integrity was somewhat questionable when it came to money and that we should check our final bill thoroughly. Alarm bells had already started to ring, when a few weeks before the wedding David told us that we could not use the celebrant that we had chosen for our ceremony because he did not like him. We were understandably upset that David was trying to dictate the most important aspect of our day as we had put such a lot of effort into finding a celebrant that we liked and were comfortable with. My wife is a Wedding Planner and said she had have never experienced such a level of unprofessionalism from any wedding vendor. I’m so thankful that we stood our ground because the person we chose conducted the most beautiful ceremony for us. It is just a shame that David caused us such unnecessary stress and upset.

The day after the wedding was when things began to decline, when the following series of events occurred:

- For the evening party of the wedding David had insisted that each guest had a tab. We had no objection to this but it has since transpired that he was charging 5 euros for every drink – including a glass of water!!! This is simple daylight robbery. We do not object to this price for alcoholic drinks but for our pregnant bridesmaid, being charged 5 euros for a water was a source of some frustration

- The day after the wedding and in the past two weeks it has come to light that David had also been adding ‘mystery’ drinks on to people’s tabs. We had a small wedding of only 34 guests and 10 of those complained that they had been overcharged. One guest was charged for 22 drinks, without buying one drink for anyone else. He insists that he had 8-10 drinks! If he had of been the only guest to mention this we would not have been suspicious but a third of our guests believe that additional drinks were added to their tab which we believe is too much of a coincidence

- David attempted to charge guests staying with us at the venue for minibar items that they did not have

- We had told David that we were on a strict budget and therefore we wanted to pay for everything in advance which we did. The day after the wedding we received an additional bill for items that we did ask for (water with the meal) but also for items that David had taken it upon himself to serve but that we had never requested. We therefore refused to pay for these

- In addition to all this we do not believe that the number of bottles of Prosecco we paid for during the drinks reception were actually served. My wife was told that after 90 minutes that 29 guests (the drinkers) had consumed 24 bottles for Prosecco. At almost a bottle each they would not have been standing at the end of the night when they’d also consumed the wine on the table (3 quarters - 1 bottle each) along with the supposed 22 evening do drinks!

This is all such a shame as if were not for David Papi’s blatant dishonesty and penny-pinching we would not hesitate to recommend this as a wedding venue.

So for anyone thinking of staying at Corte dei Papi then do it – it’s gorgeous and would make the perfect getaway. However for any brides-to-be thinking of getting married at Corte dei Papi I would say (as would my wife) think very, very carefully. If you do then I’d pass on the same advice that was given to us – check your bill thoroughly (and refuse any insistence of a tab)!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
DavidPapi, Proprietario at Relais La Corte dei Papi, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
I usually never reply to reviews because I don’t want to influence in any way the judgement of those who read it, but this time I must do so because it is only right and proper that I reply to this defamation.

First of all I would like to clarify the position of the suppler/celebrant… this person has distanced them self for a long time from this company for serious reasons, for which they never explained and I have even less desire to expose them here, for reasons of privacy, and only for this are the motives that have brought me to express my desire to not collaborate with such a person. But to satisfy the needs and the requests of our clients I have had no further dealings with the person in question - but from today, from what has been said, it appears clear that my fears of a negative and defamatory influence in our confrontation have been fully confirmed…this leads me to a logical conclusion to be able to say that the guests who have already come prevent in a negative way any confrontation.

I am very perturbed and sad about that which I have read, All of us have worked hard and have given 100%, as we always do for every one of our clients, to give those who stay with us the most beautiful and pleasant time possible! And so it has been - and this has been confirmed by the same newlyweds and by the majority of their guests before and after the event.

We have satisfied all their small needs, nothing has been left to chance.and I am happy that the majority of the guests have praised us with words of thanks and esteem, writing numerous beautiful dedications in our guest book on their departure.

It seems only right for me at this point to be more precise:
As soon as your guests arrived, and in fact prior to check in I realized, and only then, that some of the rooms had been assigned to newlyweds and person that were not part of the same family and that in some cases hardly even knew them - this naturally was in order to lower the price and share the cost of the room for 3 or 4 persons according to the room size. I was told that the guest were to personally pay the cost of the room. Also during the morning of the wedding some people who were not staying at the hotel, without any previous advice, had used some of the hotel rooms, to freshen up, have a shower and change clothes, asking for additional towels for the shower and other requirements.

No harm in this, (even if unusual and a little untoward), if not for the fact that at the end they served themselves from the bar fridge in the room, and naturally we charged the respective room number, but they protested and no one wanted to admit to having consumed that which was used. In the end to avoid any unpleasant embarrassment and useless arguments, we paid for such consumption by the clients who stayed in the said rooms.

With regards the bottles of prosecco and wine. I would like to specify that not only that they were not debited any bottles outside the budget, but that we even served some extra bottles of prosecco without debiting the account, this is always done to try and best satisfy the client while respecting their needs by trying to offer the best service.

Given that today without any foundation I have been questioned about the number of bottles consumed and some drinks at the bar during the day of the ceremony, and I must underline that from the arrival of the guests consumption from the bar had started already from 2.30pm and not at the start of the aperitifs at 3.30pm, the party then continued for all day until 2.30am - and for the entire time the guests did not stop drinking and carried on their consumption at the bar - I leave to you to make your conclusion and comment - on the possible quantity of drinks that can be consumed in the space of 12 hours.

And to underline the fact that the guest must pay for their own consumption, (the cost of the consumption for the day of the wedding was already agreed in advance, on the occasion of our numerous exchanges of e-mail, as a lump sum with the newlyweds, without indicating if these were cocktails, beer, prosecco etc. to give an overall cost for the drinks, this should have been the responsibility of the newlyweds to advise their guests of this, given that the drink costs were to be debited to the guests, but evidently this was not done) to be able to choose ‘freely’ to pay directly at the bar or debit the drinks to their room, for those who were staying at the Relais, or enter them on a list with their name for the others who were not guests of the Hotel - ’who must make the payment at the end of the evening”. No one protested and as it happened those who paid the same evening, considered the amount correct for every drink included, but I must reflect on the fact that the only objections came from 2 couples who ‘Very cheerfully’ left the hotel without paying the account for their drinks, and that only the day after presented themselves at the reception to settle their drinks bill, and protested that at first it was unjust.

At the end to not create any unpleasant argument I believed it opportune, also on this occasion, to not insist further and to not debit the said drinks.

To be precise I have not ever charged for any glasses of water (and it seem to me even absurd that I must specify this!!!) and that the amount of which is the subject of the objection could be valued at the most at around 100euros - that, as well has never been paid by the guests even if it should have been.. I wish to underline this is not an economic fact but because I believe that the question should be taken back to its origin, or rather to the insinuation made about our professionalism and honesty that is still as it was before their arrival, and that therefore this has given the guests the liberty to be able to make false insinuations.

All this explanation has been necessary in order to clarify, as to what effectively happened. That which remains from all this is the certainly that we have done everything possible to make our guests stay special, and have been greatly deluded by their behaviour.

David Papi
Norristown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Corte dei Papi was a remarkable experience for us traveling through the Tuscan region. It is absolutely a 5 star hotel and restaurant. The owner and operators, David and his mom, Gabriella, exude charm and warmth the moment you meet them. If you are looking for the magical villa, very much like Under The Tuscan Sun, this is exactly what you are dreaming of !!

It is situated close by the lovely town of Cortona, which is elegant, classy and quite charming. David is always available for answering any question, or providing suggestions of what to do and see. He also makes all the arrangements for you. The chefs in his kitchen are also not to be forgotten. We took a cooking class and never had so much fun in a kitchen. Clean, friendly and top-notch service are the best qualities that we were looking for, and certainly found here. Would highly recommend spending some time with David and his staff.

W

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

From the the moment we first made contact with David we knew we were in from a special time. David and his team were the the most warm and welcoming hosts we have ever had, there was no problem to big or small, infact there were no problems. David had organised everything from our celebrant, our photographer, getting our wedding outfits pressed all the way to organising our taxi to collect us from the local train station. On our way out to David's place the scenry was to dye for. We arrived early afternoon and were blowen away how beautiful the property is. These days you dont see hospitality like David and his team gave us. David was so happy to see us and wanted to show us around. Once we were settled David made us an awesome poolside lunch. Then we went and soaked up the rays by the pool. What more could we want. We were joined by two of our friends late afternoon and continued our relaxing time.The next day, our wedding day !!, David made us the best cappicunos and the buffet breakfast was impressive. David recommended a few winerys and a small town to checkout. We set off to the nearby town of Montepulciano for some wine tasting and to soak up the atmosphere of the Tuscan countryside. We returned to La Corte Dei Papi for a swim and to relax before the ceremonie. We got married in the gardens followed by a poolside dinner with the most amazing food and wine we have ever experianced. The next day was spent relaxing poolside, enjoying more friendly service and wonderful food and wine. The 17th Century farmhouse is complimented by stunning gardens, outside dinning and a fantasic pool.
We spent 3 nights (so not enough). We had a seven week holiday, wedding and hooneymoon and by far La Corte Dei Papi was the best place we have ever been to!!!!

If there is one place you have to visit in life it is Relais La Corte Dei Papi!!
We will be back:)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ballarat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We have recently returned to Australia following an amazing 5 weeks holiday in Austria and Italy. Whilst in Florence, we decided to stay nearby Cortona, and lucky for us, we booked 4 nights at Relais La Corte dei Papi located in Pergo di Cortona. We arrived late in the evening to be greeted by David and his beautiful mum Gabriella like long lost family and soon had a glass of red wine in our hands and immediately felt a sense of peace and relaxation. Our stay was absolutely perfect from our room to the beautiful pool area, the incredible food served under the tuscan stars in the evening and the exemplary service from David and his team. Our vineyard tour and winetasting at Poliziano was fantastic. We were both very sad to leave and very envious of Daniel and Kelly who had 7 nights of absolute bliss ahead of them - so pleased to hear you had a relaxing time! We are planning our next trip to Tuscany and Relais La Corte dei Papi is definitely on our list and will be highly recommended to all our friends. Thank you so much David, Gabriella and team.
With our love and best wishes and see you in 2013!
Peter and Angie

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais La Corte dei Papi? Share your experiences!