“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 hotels in Cortona
Montreal
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We found the estate to be lovely. Our room was in the "newer" section, a bit off from reception and the main restaurant, but it had it's own breakfast area and outdoor (unheated) pool. It was quiet, spacious and had exceptional views. Turndown service left fresh towels as well. The breakfast consisted of yogurt and cereal choices, fresh fruit and pastries, fresh pies and cake as well as a variety of cheeses and hams, coffee to-order and fresh squeezed orange juice. The staff were always courteous and friendly, though it did take 30 minutes once for them to bring a bucket of ice. We made use of the on-site spa (complimentary daily access) and enjoyed it, though we wished the pool was warmer! We enjoyed the tasting menu and restaurant immensely, dessert being the highlight. We would recommend a stay here if on the "3 nights for the price of 2" special rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Il_Falconiere, Owner at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear DMD06
Thank you for your nice review, I like a lot your descriptions about the hotel, it makes me fell better. I always try to make happy my clients and when I realize that it happened I’m very satisfied.
I hope to welcome you again and have the possibility to share my world with you!
A presto

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Could it be that Relais and Chateux now has a curve basis in a desperate attempt to add a relais in Tuscany. I have been to dozens of relais and this isn't close to measuring up to their standards. Most of the complaints on this site seem to be the same so pardon the redundancy. The air condition in the rooms do not cool the room, its hot. The mattresses are 30 years old and hard as a rock. My wife woke up in pain every morning. The showers good luck trying to figure out how to work it. No gym. The coffee pot filled with dust like its been sitting unsused for a year. What relais would pass this. Very bad service in bar. Breakfeast buffet the worst ever anywhere. Now on to the restaurant same issue as I am told they have a michelin star. For sure 100% this restaurant is no more deserving of a michelin start then McDonald's. The food, some dishes good some just plain bad. The service terrible you will strain your neck looking for the one captain who takes orders on 21 tables all by himself. I on both nights went and got him and made him come to my table and take my order. Once nice thing to say. It's a beautiful property in a beautiful Tuscan setting but after coming from the 4 seasons in budepest and the four seasons in Prague we know what perfect is. Relais in my opinion should be one better then a four seasons. Neither the hotel or the restaurant are close to dererving a michelin star or a relais and chateux membership

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
From Silvia Baracchi Chef and owner
Dear Golfbob,
thank you to spend your time to write a review about your vacation. For us your opinion is very important to make our Relais and service better and better. I see you made a reservation on September and our air conditioning was in perfect working all the summer and especially in September with a chilly temperature it worked perfectly ! Maybe was your sensation.
About the restaurant , we have this organization from many years, Luigi our Maître can organize the service and take the orders scheduling at the best the arrival of our clients to avoid stoppages in the kitchen. At the end we don’t have 21 tables at the restaurant , we have just 16 and spread in different dining rooms, so I think was not easy for you check our service, especially in the second floor. Our Michelin starred restaurant is not a fast food and we like to dedicate the best attention to every client. I don’t want a simple Chef de Rang takes orders but can do this just the Maitre or myself.
I opened at the first the restaurant on 1989, the hotel 4 years later , at the end we cannot have mattresses 30 years old , we changed all the beds 4 years ago and yes, they are not soft because they are orthopedic the best chice for the health of the body ( back and shoulders ) maybe you are not used to this kind of healthy attentions. We are always able to change our mattresses and pillows on request.
You are right we are nor a Four Season hotel , but we are very proud to be part of Relais & Chateaux , most of them are family hotels which excel in the art of hospitality with their personal touch and attention of every detail. I’m sorry to be far from your aspetations, but of course every clients is different and we love all of them a lot!
Hoping to be able to change your opinion on your next trip in Tuscany .
Greetings
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

As we planned our travels through Italy, we most looked forward to our stay at Il Falconiere. It not only met but exceeded all expectations. The setting of the hotel is breathtaking. Taking a walk though the grands is so enjoyable. Our Junior Suite was unique, highly spacious and very romantic. The hotel restaurant is exceptional. We had a meal there on our first night and it is something we will remember for years to come. The setting is the most romantic. Aside from the taste and quality of the food, the staff operated like a well oiled machine. The sommelier is outstanding. The chef sent a complimentary tasting plate of desserts to our table, the perfect end to a perfect dinner. We also took a cooking class with the resident chef Richard Titi. He is a very talented, yet most humble man, and we learned a great deal, but most of all enjoyed the experience. The facilities at the hotel are great, and all of the staff very friendly. By far the most enjoyable stay we have had throughout our travels in Italy. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: The junior suites are impressive.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Joy,
thank you for your review it is very beautiful, you touch different aspects of Il Falconiere. I and Richard will be always happy to have guests like you inside our kitchen to work together hands-on!! Each clients is important for us and we can learn a lot from them too!
Thank you again for the time you dedicate to us, I and Richard are always ready with new recipes and we are looking forward to welcome you again.
Silvia Baracchi Chef & Owner
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in late August in a Suite the room was adequate however the room safe didn't work as well as the exhaust fan in the bathroom considering what we paid it was not up to normal standards

We ate at the restaurant twice the food was ok but not michelin star. The staff were friendly and helpful overall a comfortable stay but definitely not 5 star

Dear Robert,
Thank you for your review, every comment helps us a lot to make better our job! I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, Relais Il Falconiere is a 4 stars hotel not 5 stars!!! Of course we have location and service good enough to be a 5 stars hotel. Italy is beautiful and full of taste, colors and sun, but for this, Italian companies in August are closed. Everybody is in holiday for about 4 weeks! For us it not easy to find or substitute something on that period! At the end, last August we were almost lucky because we have had just the problem with your safe and fan, of course immediately resolved as the couriers started to work.
Our restaurant is very beautiful, in summertime we serve dinner and lunch in our spectacular terrace with its incredible view. I don’t know what are your aspectations for you a Michelin starred restaurant, for me is a beautiful restaurant with beautiful tables with fine table clothes, and harmonious mise en place; very pleasant and clever service; a great wine list and this is my restaurant. About my menu, it has a large choices: two tasting menu, appetizers, pasta, fish and meat and desserts, every dish is cooked at the moment with fresh and seasonal ingredients. We serve a delicious aperitif, and with the coffee a very special tray with many small bites of fruit and cakes. I know perfectly that every guest has different taste and I’m sorry if yours are far from our cuisine. I would like to make satisfied everybody but it is a “mission impossible” sometime!
I hope to welcome you again, maybe in a different period, and try to change your opinion!!!
Silvia Baracchi Chef/Owner
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in this area of Tuscany for two weeks during August and were hoping a dining experience at the Falconiere would be the gastronomic highlight of our trip. Apart from the food which is definitely not Michelin star standard, we did not receive the level of service you would expect from a restaurant with this reputation. Our fish starters was border line high. The white wine was warm for tasting. We never saw it again until the main course arrived when my husband asked for the ice bucket to be relocated to our table so we could serve our own wine which we did throughout the meal. Our over cooked lamb main course was served with blunt knives with a dollop of watery spinach on the side and a few scattered mushrooms. The focaccia bread was stale, two of the pre desserts were frozen. The toilets were filthy. The terrace dining furniture is wrought iron with no seat cushions. Now, I admit as a family we are all above average height but this seating was back breaking for us all, my husband had to sit with his legs out to the side the whole meal. We all could not wait to leave, which we did without any acknowledgement from the staff, for both service and food this is the worst Michelin star we have ever been to. The only upside is the view!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
From Silvia Baracchi Chef and Owner
Dear Kizzy19,
thank you for the time you dedicate to write a review about Il Falconire, seems you are talking about an other place! Yes we have iron furniture in the terrace but we have nice cushions cream and green color , very comfortable everyday!!!
Waiters and our sommelier Gianni are always very kind and professional, the wine is always at the perfect temperature, we have a beautiful cellar where we can collect red wine and special refrigerators for the white wine.
Toilets are the mirror of every restaurant, and ours are perfectly cleaned and more we pay attention to the hygiene of them.
About the meal we love to cook fresh seasonal ingredients, at the end is very easy realize excellent dishes with fresh fish, free range meat, local organic vegetables and more , I’m sorry your personal taste is so far from our style!
Maybe it was a wrong day for you and I’m sorry for your negative experience , I hope to have a second chance to confirm my statement and quality.
Greetings
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We just returned from a one night stay at Il Falconiere. Let me start with the positive. The setting is truly gorgeous and the location, just 3 kilometers from the lovely little town of Cortona, can't be beat. We had a beautiful suite which accomodated our whole family (2 adults/3 kids), and a private terrace looking out across to Cortona, just gorgeous! That said, there are a number of other similar hotels in Tuscany, and I chose Il Falconiere for three reasons: the Michelin-starred restaurant, the opportunity to do a tour of the vineyard and winery owned by the same family, and the fact that they could arrange horseback riding as an activity. Well, three strikes on all of those. First, although I had arranged a reservation at the restaurant weeks ahead of time, when we actually go there we were told that the restaurant wouldn't be serving that night and instead they were doing a buffet dinner, for the 'bargain' price of 90 euros per adult and 50 euros per child. I wouldn't have minded paying those prices to eat in the actual restaurant, but it was wildly exorbitant for a buffet. The antipasti were excellent, but then after that, dinner consisted just of plain meats on a grill, all of which were barely cooked at all (and this coming from someone who loves a rare steak, but you really can't eat chicken that's still pink all the way through!). With regard to the winery tour, I was told that I didn't need to make reservations ahead of time, and just to ask at the front desk when we arrived. But when we got there, we were told that they could only do a winery tour if one of the owners was available, and it turned out that they weren't. No one ever told us ahead of time that it was going to be iffy on whether we'd be able to do this activity or not. Finally, when I tried to arrange with the hotel ahead of time for horseback riding, the word back was that we'd only be able to do an indoor riding lesson because my kids aren't experienced riders. What's the point of going to Tuscany and having a riding lesson indoors?! I've been on tons of trail rides before where there were inexperienced riders and never seen a problem before. I recognize that it wasn't the hotel's fault that the barn they were dealing with had these restrictions, but I felt that the hotel's website wildly over-promised on the activities that would be available and then under-performed. But, again, it is a beautiful property and I can't say we had a bad experience, just one that was disappointing given the price and the advance hype.
Also, I'm not quite sure why so many people have raved about the breakfast -- I didn't find it anything other than the normal contintental breakfast buffet. Some nice pastries and fresh fruit, but really nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
from Silvia Baracchi Chef Owner
Dear UGWilliams
Thank you for your review, and yes I remember perfectly your family with three very nice kids!
You stayed in my hotel for “Ferragosto” I mean August 15th , it is vacation day all over of Italy, it is a very special occasion end every family and restaurant are used to organize a traditional party with special menu and barbeque. It was good occasion for us to propose to our guests something different from the normal dinner “a la carte”. On the buffet there was a huge variety of appetizers and pasta, cheese and cakes; in our BBQ many variety of free range meat: lamb, beef, chicken, pork and skewers , grilled vegetable and typical sauces. I remember that you refused to get off from the table to see and choose your meal, for that maybe the cooking of your meat were not as you like! Aperitif, white and red wine matched with the food, a final toast and at the end many flying lanterns to send your wishes on the sky. All of our guests appreciated a lot that evening! I’m sorry don’t come up to your expectations, the same for the wine tour and the horse riding. Maybe the reception didn’t realize the special date, I’m sorry for that because we try to do the best efforts to make happy every guest!!
Our breakfast is unique with fresh fruit, local cut and cheese, home made cakes, yogurt, jam and pastry. We prepare every morning bread and croissants. Mozzarella and tomatoes coming from our vegetable garden. Fresh fruit juice and smoothies. On request omelette and eggs prepared in many different ways. It is a really gorgeous Tuscan breakfast!
I wait you and your nice family in an other period to enjoy our cuisine a la carte and many activities we are used to offer!
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Arrived to a nice welcome,had a quick look at the beautiful views from the grounds of the hotel then taken to our room, we had a deluxe room which was spacious with a large comfortable bed and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath, the room is in an old part of the hotel dating back to the 16th century so small windows and high ceilings but very nice and of course AC. The family who own the hotel and all the staff are very friendly, the pool is wonderful, large and I had it to myself for a few days, used the spa had a very nice massage and then a swim in the pool, we used the restaurant one evening, we had drinks in the wine room which has sofas and you are surrounded by some fantastic wines, we tried the wine of the owners with our dinner which was excellent as was the food. All in all a fabulous hotel with bags of character (read old), if you want ultra modern, contemporary design etc, stay in a big city,if you want peace and quiet with stunning scenery, friendly people, excellent food and wine, try here, we plan to go back.

Room Tip: one of our group has a disabilty so the room which was a suite wasnt suitable as it was at the top o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Relais Il Falconiere & Spa? Share your experiences!