What a Grand and Stylish Hotel building - almost like entering Buckingham Palace ! Some people would not like this sort of thing (my 12 yr old remarked that it was "too old fashioned) ! I can easily see how you could mistake some of the rooms as being "dirty" but that was not the case. It was more the fact that the baths for instance were the proper old fashioned ones and the decor was a bit dark.
Swimming Pool - a fair few flights of stairs down, walking through the glorious gardens. The pool was large, very secluded, with a bar and toilets, shower/changing rooms. It also had a magnificent view down towards the town and sea area. I particularly liked the evening meal gathered around the pool-side, where a vocalist sang throughout the evening.
Meals - to die for - seriously ! Breakfast was a huge buffet selection to suit all, alongside bacon/scrambled eggs. Evening meal - again a cold buffet, with 3 further courses. I found the cold buffet and the starter adequate for me. All meals were explained fully and vegetarians were well catered for. I even asked for a specific meal to be cooked for me, without notice, no problem !
Bar Area - a very comfortable and cosy area. There was even a piano there (which my daughter happily played) ! Drink were pricey compared to the UK (but all around Taormina was similar)
Reception - they all spoke very good English and was always happy to help with ideas of places to visit etc. They even recommended the best "beach deals" where you could be picked up from hotel, taken to a beach resort with chairs/table all included.
The town itself - I was amazed at how many designer shops there were (bring LOTS of money) ! The walk to the chair lift (down to beach) and the bus station are a good 20 min fast walk away - passing all the shops/cafes !! Take a bus ride to the small village right at the top of Taormina (forgotten the name of it) ! Enjoy the cafe next to the church with "fallic" symbols everywhere !!
I travelled on a package deal with CITALIA. They were very good. We had a private taxi to and from airport and a travel guide was on hand and would gladly meet you at the hotel re any trips etc.
Beware that in August - the temperature reached 100 degrees !! Even with air conditioning - we were still quite hot in our rooms (I think cos of the very high ceilings).
I secretly cried when I left - the whole experience was breath-taking !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Palace Hotel even to day after more then one hundred years its building is considered one of the most appreciated hotel structure in Taormina.Its architecture draw its origin from a context cultural and natural,Greek,Roman and Medieval.The Excelsior Palace Hotel looks over one of the most beautiful panoramas of the world:Etna and the Bay of Naxos, the Greek Theatre, and the immense space of the Jonian Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Venere, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Excelsior Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Palace Taormina
- Hotel Excelsior Palace
- Excelsior Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily