“Lovely in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Carlotta

You added Hotel Villa Carlotta to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Carlotta
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Via Pirandello, 81, 98039 Taormina, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 89 Hotels in Taormina
Mount Laurel, New Jersey, United States
“Lovely in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Within a moment of entering the lobby, a bit harried from driving ourselves on small, winding, unfamiliar roads in the dark, we were greeted by Simona at the front desk. She said, "Please, put down your things. We will take care of everything for you. We have a glass of wine and snack waiting for you on the terrace where Olga will tell you about our hotel". Really? Wow. I could feel the stress start to leave my body. And the service and experience only got better from there. The terrace is beautiful with gorgeous views of Taormina and the sea. Our spacious and beautifully decorated room had the same views. The staff was always ready with a warm smile and helpful information and the building/grounds were very interesting and beautiful. There are two peaceful study/salon type rooms available for lounging with a good book and a glass of wine. The lounge on the top floor also has the same panoramic view as the terrace. There are several levels of lounge area on patios and a lovely pool. I would describe the breakfast as sumptuous, with a large array of warm and cold selections, savory and sweet. The location is within easy walking distance from the center of town. There really was nothing that wasn't a ten out of ten. I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a boutique hotel with approx. 23 rooms just about two minutes downhill from the botanical gardens - about a ten minute walk to the greek theatre. The hotel was in every respect 10/10. Service, grounds, facilities, location - can't think of anything that was less than perfect. I don't say that often, but I don't hesitate here.

The only thing I found to complain about - and I had to search pretty hard to find a complaint - was that the power goes off in the room every time you leave making it problematic to recharge your iPad. Small thing indeed (by the way - I eventually figured out that you can unplug the TV as that socket stays live even when you are out!).

Our room was a junior suite on the 2nd floor. From our window we looked down over the gardens below, the pool and beyond the sea. Other rooms below had walk-out patios. The view was fabulous and panoramic over Taormina bay.

Rooms (Jr. Suite) large and comfortable. Bathroom as well. You might find the bathtub a bit challenging to use for a tub (as opposed to the rain shower it also contains) given that it is a bit narrow. Small issue that did not concern me.

The breakfast should go by another name - feast perhaps would do it justice. It is served on the third floor with a terrace having a panoramic view. Kill me if I ever tire of that view. It might be helpful to bring a hat or sunglasses on sunny days as the terrace faces north and east and thus gets a lot of the rising sun in the morning. Views out over Taormina bay on to the mainland. From one side of the terrace, Etna is clearly in view even if its peak is somewhat obscured by a large tree at a neighboring hotel. The food - fresh juices, fresh bread and buns, five or six kinds of cheese, yoghurt, ham and salami, perfectly scrambled eggs (slow cooked), various savory pies, sweet ones, fruit. Beautifully presented in a staggeringly beautiful setting. If something is wanting, I cant imagine what it is. Service friendly to a fault and multiligual.

In the hotel gardens can be found Byzantine-era "cubuli" (essentially condominium-style tombs carved into the rock) as well as some more in exposed in the wall in the 1st floor lounge. There is a beautiful outdoor pool with plenty of recliners and shade umbrellas. An aerie on the 3rd floor to retreat with a book. WiFi works well throughout and was plenty strong enough to enable VOIP calls home whenever we wanted. I have posted a few pictures of the view from the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was very happy with our four night stay at Hotel Villa Carlotta. Of all the hotels I have stayed in around the world I think the customer service here was the best. It felt like the stay were genuinely interested in you and they went out of their way to assist. The location is great - about a 10 min walk to town very safe and the views are terrific. Water and tea and coffee facilities were provided. The only suggestion I can make is to improve the quality of coffee at breakfast, it wasnt nice and UHT milk was used. Overall this hotel is a great choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It would be easy to assess a hotel against the crowd if it was lined up on the same street. Going to Europe and comparing hotels around a city center requires some real needs assessment. This hotel is in the city, actually near the Teatro and not to far from the walk way to the shore. The street is a simple walk of about a kilometer to the main street in Taormina. The lobby is a small room in the central building with enough room for a couple to sit. The grounds in the back are nice and lead to a little pool all rather built into a small plot lot of land. The rooms are large compared to others and we had a mini-suite with a view of the grounds. Our friends had a view of the of the sea that was literally the exact same size as our room only a floor up. Price/cost on this was about 100 Euro. We had a little balcony that is a shared walkway among three rooms. I guess the table with a couple chairs means it is exclusively for us but it wasn't greatly useful. There was another place to sit that had lounge chairs right in front and that looked nice. Pool was great though small it had all we needed.

Everyone that works here is exceedingly helpful and they should have booted us for being typical loud Americans, We just make more noise than any other culture but they continued to accomodate anything we asked and even helped when we broke a glass around the pool through our evening ending last drink on the first night. I'll call it from the overnite flight but it might have been from the great Sicilian wine.

Breakfast and the view from the top are outstanding. We went there every evening and typically closed the place. The people that work in this area are friendly, helpful and the location is great to look out. It is a great part of the property. We did have lunch at one of the swanky hotels in Taormina and found it even more than we could imagine but when the bill came for the sodas we ordered at lunch, we found $100 was a bit more than anyone should have spent. Frankly it is a bit of a joke and brings me to the conclusion that Hotel Carlotta is a great place to stay, worth the money compared to the swanky locations.

If there is any improvement it would be in the condition of our bathroom and the use of the internet. There is no consistent service in the room internet and the room back wall does have some small problem as it sits below grade. Nothing significant for people that are valuing cost but very significant for those that expect perfection. All of this needs to be filtered with the age of things.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
villacarlotta, Owner at Hotel Villa Carlotta, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear guest from Cleveland, USA,
I would like to thank you for your kind and positive review which of course reflects your very personal opinion.
I would like to precise that the exact distance from the pedestrian area is meters not one or kilometer, which means about seven or eight minutes of easy walk as stated by other reviewers.
This makes Villa Carlotta position very ideal, close to the center but far enough from the noise of the town and in the most panoramic area of Taormina.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and the beautiful mark.
Kind regards,
Mr. Andrea Quartucci, the owner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Villa Carlotta was charming. The entire multilingual staff was just terrific. They helped with directions, sightseeing advice and dinner reservations, and attended to every request. Simona and Nathalie were particularly warm and hospitable. The breakfast was outstanding. The restaurant served a delicious lunch for us when we arrived at 4 pm. The view from the restaurant is beautiful. Our room, and the two rooms occupied by friends traveling with us, were spacious and comfortable. The hotel is nicely situated to be accessible to both the main shopping area, the amphitheater, and the beach. Don't miss the overlook just down the street with a great view of Isola Bella.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Anybody going to sicily arm yourselves with a lot of patience and absolutely DO NOT LAND AT NIGHT. we did, coming from london, and we got lost three times simply trying to find the way out of catania. so, either rent a car with a gps or land day time. signage is so iffy you will get lost. plus night lighting is non existent so...

we got to taormina and there again...we got lost. no way to find our hotel. so i parked and called the reception. being italian it was easy to get directions. the lovely nathalie helped us and we finally arrived at villa carlotta.

all my problems stopped there.

waking up in a sea view room will totally change any perception you might have had of sicily. stunning view. rooms are very spacious, so is the bathroom, with a tub/shower.

plenty of storage in lovely antique furniture. very comfy bed.

best thing is breakfast served on the roof terrace, with a magnificent view of mount etna, giardini naxos, isola bella, giarre and when the weather permits even farther.

the staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. you might say it's because they are sicilians but actually most aren't. i guess their trainers did a good job.

parking is available at €20 a night. expensive but necessary. it's otherwise impossible to park a car in taormina.

the only qualms i might have is the food. being italian, and having been travelling a lot around italy and europe, i know what good food is. villa carlotta has a sort of nouvelle sicilian cuisine that frankly is not of my taste. might be me, i would have loved simpler food, cooked in a simpler way.

all in all a great stay. taormina is an amazing destination, particularly out of season. june july august...don't ever go.

Room Tip: Ask for room 305, sea-view. breakfast is served until half 10 but they will nicely bring it to you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
villacarlotta, Head chef at Hotel Villa Carlotta, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Enrico,
first of all I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write this beautiful and exciting review about your stay at Villa Carlotta.
I am sorry that you had problems in finding your way but the lack of lighting is something we have never heard before, really surprising.But you probably were very tired and I understand.
On behalf of the whole staff we thank you for the many praises you expressed.
But I feel a little sorry for your comment about the food I prepared at the restaurant. I am very sorry that you did not like it but I can tell you that our cuisine is all but nouvelle cuisine: we serve large portions of tasty local food, some dishes simpler some more complex where the local aromas and flavors come out strongly. Maybe you live outside Italy and have an old fashioned vision of Italian food? I of course accept your opinion and fully respect it but let me tell you in a nice and friendly way that you are completely wrong with us, we hate nouvelle cuisine and I believe in Sicily none knows what it looks like.
Please come back and try my lasagne or my pasta alla norma, my cannelloni or my tuna steak with onions and see is what most sicilians eat at their homes ! And you can come in June, July and August ... Taormina is wonderful at all times !
Arundel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Villa Carlotta and it lived up to expectations. Before arriving we looked at Trip Advisor and were of the opinion that most people loved the fantastic breakfast, as we did, but few people mentioned the restaurant which has stunning views (same for breakfast). We eventually ate there every night as the setting, food were excellent and good value. However all of the staff really make the difference - in particular Marco, Loris in the evening and Alberto at breakfast really made you feel relaxed, special and would really make the extra effort where special requests were offered, not even asked for! We went on to Agrigento after here to a lovely hotel...but the staff could never be the same - everyone at the Carlotta was friendly and helpful and made this a very special stay! Thanks to you all! Phil & Debbie

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Carlotta? Share your experiences!