Hotel Schuler is a perfect base for exploring Taormina town and the region. The hotel has a wonderful personality, with friendly informative staff and is very efficiently operated - every need seems to have been considered,
We'd certainly love to visit again.
The hotel does seem to be largely used by German speaking guests, but all the staff speak excellent English.
- Look out for the "Garden Villa" - ideal for a family with 1-2 children. Includes a small kitchen and a small private patio with two sunloungers and an outdoor shower, with the villa being located in the hotel's garden.
- The garden is wonderful, and well maintained with many tropical plants and features - and you can walk through it when going to/from town.
- Breakfast's were wonderful, with the opportunity to sit in the sun overlooking the Med, or pick a shadier spot. The only slight change would be to serve coffee or tea on seating !
- The hotel doesn't provide other meals - but does provide excellent recommendations and will arrange bookings.
- The location is perfect for Taorimina town - located just off the main high street. However. with the buffer provided by the garden its also quiet too (although there was a party at the hotel on the Saturday night that was a little loud)
- Don't be deterred by the lack of a hotel pool. There are a number of areas to enjoy the sun (including a small roof top terrace with sun loungers). Its worth taking the opportunity of a day trip to one of the local beach clubs (arranged at reception) which will have a pool and beach access and are a short minibus ride away. The hotel will even loan towels. (Tip: try and book the timing for the return trip when making arrangements at the hotel reception.
- On the last day, we liked that although checkout was 11am, the hotel provides a shower room for guests to use. We were able to have a full day in the town, before showering and changing at the hotel and having a cold drink on the terrace before our driver arrived to take us to the airport.
- Free wifi (for as many devices as you like) is provided - pick up the access codes at reception. (Its not good enough to Skype, but certainly fine for web browsing and e-mail)
We were lucky to arrive on the last night of the annual Film Festival (in June). Amazing experience to walk through the balmy streets of Taormina back to the hotel at midnight after watching an awards ceremony at a Roman Theatre followed by a showing of the Lone Ranger (all for €5).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Converted from a Sicilian mansion into a hotel in 1905, historic Villa Schuler is most probably the oldest owner run hotel in Sicily. Extensively refurbished in recent years emphasizing its original elegance, charm and atmosphere. Superbly situated high above the Ionian Sea, its unique position offers stupendous views of Mt. Etna and the Bay of Naxos. Centrally located just 2 minutes walk to traffic free "Corso Umberto" and 10 min. To the Greek-Roman theatre. Surrounded by its own extensive, subtropical, shady terraced botanic gardens. Other amenities include the elegant Orangery, the scenic Palm Terrace, a panoramic lift, the Rooftop Lounge&Terrace, free Wi-Fi, 24h bar and room service, valet parking and garages. Breakfast embracing Slow Food criteria is served "a la carte" in the breakfast room, in the Orangery, on the Palm Terrace overlooking the whole coastline or in your room. Courtesy mountain bikes. Shuttle-service to partner beaches. Tennis courts nearby. Eco-certified ISO 14001. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, T4B, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Villa Schuler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Schuler Hotel Taormina
- Hotel Villa Schuler Taormina, Sicily