We were welcomed by the chief doorman as we arrived: the car was instantly taken away to the garage and our bags reappeared in our room just as we got there. The reception was both hospitable and dignified but without pretense. The réception clerk accompanied us all the way to the room with explanations both patient and practical. The room was a spontaneous upgrade to deluxe from superior with a fabulous view. The air conditioning had been preset by the maid to ensure a comfortable arrival after a hot road trip. The bed linen was of incredible quality with an embroidered day cushion, the bed cover being fully sheeted for perfect hygiene and conform to luxury standard. The splendid view is precipitous over the coast toward Messina and Guardino Naxos. The hotel interior is a veritable museum ranging from the 15th century convent wing and cloister to the early 20th century "new" wing featuring innumerable works of art and period furniture. The atmosphere of a Dominican monastery has been fully preserved in the older sections. The restaurants still do table side flambé service by candlelight. The garden is historic with tall healthy palms, prolific violet and orange bougainvilleas and hibiscus of numerous colours. The staff are experienced and comfortable with their roles and neither stuffy nor servile. Every guest is politely greeted everywhere and by everyone from the manager to the gardener. This has the effect of calming any unseemly exuberance of the guests who seem to delight in the role of honoured visitors, except the children who are visibly delighted by the Silician spoiling they receive from the kindly maitre d'hotel at breakfast and the patient pool staff. In all a delight for everyone who relishes the old world elegance of an exceptional institution. We will return for Christmas. The sniping critics can go elsewhere to their bling bling chain luxury hotels. We don't wish to hear their harsh voices in the salons of the San Domenico!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A LUXURY 5-STAR HOTEL ON THE EAST COAST OF SICILY The San Domenico Palace Hotel sits in a truly magnificent setting that has attracted people from ancient times. A luxury 5-star hotel in an ancient Dominican monastery, it has views over Mount Etna and Taormina Bay on the east coast of Sicily not far from Messina. Countless famous writers, artists and composers, came here to savour this unique spot at the very tip of Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, T4B, Venere, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your San Domenico Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo San Domenico Taormina
- Palazzo San Domenico Hotel Taormina
- San Domenico Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily