“Great tours (Godfather Tour and Agrigento)” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Taxi Taormina & Sicily Tours.I invite you to come along with me to explore every corner and aspect of this land, to know our amazing history, to meet our hospitable people, to savor our unique wine and cuisine, to gaze upon our breathtaking vistas, to be cooled by our soft sea breezes, and to learn from a son of Sicily the vast beauties of my land, "La Bella Sicilia".
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Great tours (Godfather Tour and Agrigento)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I took two private driving tours through Roberto Mirabile. We were staying in Taormina for a week and were picked up and dropped off at our hotel.

The first tour was the Godfather Tour. We were picked up by Luca at 10:00 a.m. And driven to three hillside towns: Savoca; Forza D'Agro; and Castelmola. Savoca was absolutely beautiful and we had some time to walk in the village. I'm not really that interested in the Godfather aspect of the tour, but seeing the hillside towns was great, particularly Savoca. We stopped for lunch for an hour and a half in Castelmola (Luca left us and we met him after lunch and a walk around town) before being driven back to the hotel. 150€ total for two people. Scenery in the towns and in between them was remarkable. Luca was very informative and a very nice guy. Highly recommend this tour, even if you are not a huge fan of the movie.

The second was a day trip from Taormina to Agrigento. We were picked up by Domenico at our hotel at 8:00 a.m. We drove to Agrigento and arrived there around 10:45. We spent about an hour and a half viewing the temples, which were very interesting. Particularly spectacular was the Temple of Concordia. We met back with Domenico after our walk. Was too early for lunch in Agrigento, so we left and planned to eat in Catania on the way back. Domenico suggested that we eat at Osteria Antica Marina right beside the fish market. Domenico left us and we met him after a little over an hour after lunch. Lunch was fantastic and was a great suggestion. He also suggested the squid ink pasta and the sea urchin pasta. Both were great. Domenico then suggested a route for us to walk in the old part of town in Catania and we walked around for about 20 minutes before returning to our hotel. (We were happy Domenico suggested eating in Catania and really liked the city. So much so that a couple of days later we took a bus to Catania from Taormina and back for a day trip.) Domenico dropped us off at hotel at around 5:00. Cost was 300€ total for two people, plus an entrance fee at the temples of approx 12€ per person. The temples were great, but the trip from Taormina to Agrigento is almost three hours each way. If you are staying in Taormina and really want to see the temples, this is a very nice way of doing it. Otherwise, it is expensive and a long drive. Domenico was a great guide. He was very informative and very pleasant to be around. Helpful with suggestions and we enjoyed our trip to Agrigento and our side trip with him to Catania.

Visited October 2012
Excursions_TaRoB, Proprietario at Sicily Tours & Taxi Taormina, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello dear guest,

Please apologize me for my belated answer.
Thank you for your kind review, it was our pleasure to take care of your Sicily Tours.
You was have two
you have enjoyed two very different tours, one set in our typical Sicilian culture and mentality, the other in an area that was one of the cradles of Greek civilization in Sicily. I hope to preserve good memories of Sicily and of us, in such a way as to arouse longing to return as soon as possible, and if you give us a chance we will be very happy you showed other places.

Hello dear Sirs,
Please apologize me for my belated answer.
Thank you for your kind review. Grazie.
I remeber you have enjoyed two very different tours, one set in our typical Sicilian culture and mentality, the other in an area that was one of the cradles of Greek civilization in Sicily.
I hope that you and wife preserve good memories of Sicily and of us, in such a way as to arouse longing to return as soon as possible, and if you would like to give us a one more chance we will be very happy you showed other places.

I wish you all the best and also a nice and happy christmas fest.

Roberto by Taxi Taormina Roberto Tours.

Archbald
6 attraction reviews
“Thanks again Roberto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Roberto came through again. We were fortunate to have a tour last fall with Roberto so when we were returning to Sicily in October we of course booked with Roberto. We decided to book the Mt Etna tour from Catania (cruise stop). Our driver/guide was Marcello – who was an awesome guide.

We started the day at a honey factory that also sold olives, wine and other wonderful snacks that you got to sample before buying (and buying I did).

Unfortunately it rained the entire day so we were not able to see anything when we reached the top of Mt Etna – and due to the rain we didn’t even get out of the car. So on the way back down the volcano Marcello, who is a geologist, pulled over to the side of the road and we actually went into a cave! How many people get to explore a cave on the side of a volcano in Sicily?! We had so much fun and he was so passionate when talking about what we were seeing.

After the cave we went everywhere else we wanted to. We stopped at "Bar Louie" to have a glass of wine and snacks at the place where the Godfather was filmed. Then we drove around getting amazing pictures. Then it was a late lunch in a little local place in Catania with the best arancini (rice balls) and cannoli I have ever tasted (and so reasonably priced).

We would not have had the same experience if Marcello didn’t take care of everything. He made sure we had a perfect day – even in the rain - and also translated all of our needs at every stop. I highly recommend booking a private tour with Roberto. He takes care of you from start to finish. And a big thanks to Marcello for making our trip fantastic.

Hello dear Je.

Thank you to you again, I was really pleased to can take care and plan one more time your ashore tour here in Sicily, unfortunately the rain and bad weather forced us to change a little bit from the planned tour.
Let me to thanks to all....
To you and your friend who nonetheless were willing to join us on an alternative tour with a smile and with the right spirit. Thank you.
Lovely to our island Sicily which allows to always have alternatives and to our flexibility and knowledge has gone too all for the best.
and last but not least our Marcello was a wonderful performer. Thank you.

Since we are close to Christmas .... Let me wish you a happy holidays.

Hope to see you soon, and maybe next time without rain, so you can finally see our Mt Etna, which is with you has always been very mysterious ..... does not allow himself to see live ....ahah!!

Kind regards,

Roberto by Roberto Taormina Taxi Tours.
Syracuse, New York
“Roberto Made Trip to Sicily Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I highly recommend Roberto for a private tour of Sicily's treasures. Roberto provided transfers between Catania and Taormina and a full day of touring Mt. Etna, the village where my grandparents grew up, and the Sicily countryside. What was really impressive is that Roberto gave my wife and I a non-tourist view of Sicily and a true insight into Sicily's culture, people and wonderful food. Roberto was very warm and informative from the first moment we stepped into his comfortable, luxury vehicle. He tailored a day tour for us based on our interests. Roberto gave us great insights and definitely enhanced our enjoyment of Sicily. It was great meeting you Roberto, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Hello dear Guest,

Apologize me for my belated answer, I hope you are fine.
I would like to thank you and wife to give me a chance to take care of your suit needs here in Sicily, it was my pleasure to drive you aound one Mt. Etna Portaits and to find out the birthplace where your grandparents grew up.
Let me to wish you a world of beautiful things, and have a happy and peaceful Christmas.
Hope can see you again around here in our fabulous Sicily.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Roberto by Taxi Taormina Roberto Tours.
McLean, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Private Tours with Roberto were the Highlight of Our Trip to Sicily!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I spent 7 days in wonderful Sicily in early October 2012, and on two of the days, we took private tours with Roberto. These tours with Roberto were the highlight of our trip! Roberto also met us at the airport in Catania and he arranged taxi service back to the airport. He was always on time and very knowledgeable about the sites visited. He also had outstanding insights into Sicilian history, life and culture that greatly enhanced our experience!

The two tours that we took with Roberto are listed on his web site as the Godfather Tour and the Valley of the Temples Tour. The first tour visited 3 hillside towns above Taormina and provided wonderful scenery (with views of the countryside, ocean and Mt. Etna) as well as insights into daily life in the mountain villages in Sicily. Moreover, scenes from the first two Godfather movies were filmed in two of the towns, and it was great fun to walk down the streets where scenes from the movies had been filmed. The tour ended in Taormina and Roberto provided a map to help guide us as we wandered around the town.

The second tour was from our hotel in Giardini-Naxos (south or Taormina) to the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento and back. This tour involved a 2&1/2 drive across the island of Sicily and Roberto pointed out the various agricultural growing areas (e.g., olives, grapes) and towns along the way. After the audio tour provided by the Valley of the Temples, Roberto recommended a seaside restaurant where Sicilian families gathered for their Sunday lunch, and it was a great, authentic experience.

My husband and I had briefly considered renting a car in Sicily but we found that the tour with Roberto was a far better approach. We never would have gained the insights into Sicily - past and present - without our enjoyable discussions with him. We raised numerous topics and questions ranging from the Italian and Sicilian government and economy, to Sicilian food preferences, gluten-free dining, historical issues, and energy use, and had a wonderful time discussing these subject with Roberto. His English is excellent, and his insights are wonderful.

In addition, our Italian was limited so traveling with Roberto was very helpful in ordering at local restaurants and avoiding the hassle of navigating our way around highways with lots of construction (which would not appear on a GPS!).

We found Roberto's company on Trip Advisor because he was ranked #1 in Sicily tours. There is a definte reason for that ranking. Roberto is THE BEST!!

Visited October 2012
Excursions_TaRoB, Proprietario at Sicily Tours & Taxi Taormina, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you to have leaves your kind review on TripAdvisor.
Please Apologize me for my belated answer. Since it was my big pleasure and also a wonderful experience to travel with you and your husband. I remember it was very nice to talk about all, that you were very curious about our ancient history, but also on the current one.
I was pleased to can enjoy our our conversations.
Too bad they did not have more time to visit some other place, like Syracuse and more ....
I hope to meet you again here in our Fabulous land.
I wish you a Merry December and enjoy its festivities.
Warm greetings.

Roberto Taormina Taxi Tours.
Auckland
7 attraction reviews
“Great day, Great guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

There were four of us with a day in port on a cruise and we were not sure what to expect. Roberto collected us seemlessly and quickly noted one of our team was on crutches and went out of his way to ensure the tour was comfortable for her including organising a special transport vehicle to get her up one steep hill.
Roberto had a lovely relaxed style of delivering information and some nice touches of humour which suited us perfectly. We visited Savoca,Taormina and Castelmola in a tour that was tailored for us. Roberto left us some time in Taormina to look around and eat. It was just the right amount of time. The day was a highlight on our cruise largely due to Roberto's explanations and knowledge of Sicily. We were delivered back to the ship comfortably on time while still feeling we had optimised the time available to us.
We were all from New Zealand and do not speak Italian but Roberto was easy to understand and provided the flexibility we were looking for.
We had a significantly contrasting experience in Turkey later on in the Cruise and it made us appreciate the quality of Roberto's service even more.
Thanks very much Roberto.

Visited September 2012
Hello dear Niccols,
I would like to apologize for my belated answer.
Thank you for your kind reviews, I remember as well we arrange a nice Vehicle ( with Giancarlo) to drive up you and friends to San Nicola Church in Savoca. It was very fun and enjoyable.
Then our Beautiful Island have did the rest...to give you a nice memory of your ashore tour.
I know that from New Zeland will be difficult to go back in Sicily frequently, Let me wish you to can do it in next future to enjoy more about Sicily.
Of course I hope to can be useful and to take care of your needs here.
Warmest regards,

Roberto Taxi Taormina Tours.