“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Taormina
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We viewed this hotel as a possibility for our wedding reception but as my dad was disabled & they had quite a few steps leading up to the hotel, I did not think this viable ( even though they tried to offer every possible assistance). Anyway, we both loved the hotel ( the roof terrace & views are spectacular as is the lift). Also, the rooms were gorgeous. So, we booked the junior suite for the wedding night & the following evening & were told we could check in early on the wedding day so I could get ready there. When myself & friends went up the night before to double check this was ok (and for my bridesmaids etc to get ready there as we were told by friends that another 5 star hotel had a problem with this when she got married), we were told that we could check in even earlier but that the room would maybe a little small for everyone. He was extremely friendly & asked if we would like a look up on the roof terrace (which we did). Anyway, when we arrived on the wedding day to get ready, we were lead to our room by the same man & was lead into the most beautiful hotel room I've ever stayed in. He said that they had upgraded us to a suite as a wedding present from the hotel. It was huge! The decor was understated whilst luxurious and elegant. The bathroom was stunning and very large. Within 10 minutes of being in our room, we had a knock on the door with 4 glasses of prosseco for myself, mum & friends. They could not do enough for us whilst not being intrusive. The following evening we decided to eat in the restaurant and had only one other couple with us which we found very nice for that particular night. I ordered tuna steak which was served beautifully but tasted even better. Cooked to perfection. If I had to find fault (which I don't think it is), there was too much & my husband had to finish it off -much to his pleasure! He had steak which he thoroughly enjoyed. We both chose the creme brûlée which was so creamy without being sickly. The prices compared to the rest town were very reasonable. Unfortunately, there was a wedding on there that night so we couldn't eat on the roof terrace but the restaurant is beautiful anyway. Breakfast was great. Good choice of buffet breakfast & choice off of the menu. The staff were very kind & helpful. The hotel is right in the centre of town but the only downside is that it has no pool. Think that we were told last year that they could not put a pool on the roof as the building was so old & the building would not be able to hold it. Anyway, I would still give this hotel 10 out of 10 for everything!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
south shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have just returned from a week long stay at the El Jebel in Taormina. We were attending a family wedding while we were there and the reception was to be on the rooftop of this hotel. The hotel itself is beautiful and everyone of the staff were fantastic. Everyone was friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. The food was superb. We ate on the rooftop on our first evening and the backdrop is just stunning. The wedding reception was truly magnificent with the most delicious food, the Sicilian wedding cake and the beautiful pastries were sublime. The breakfast in the hotel was also fantastic. The rooms are cleaned twice a day although we never saw anyone, also the rooms are so peaceful and quiet. A superb hotel in a wonderful city, we look forward to returning again. Thank you to all the staff :)

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the El Jebel in Early June, as other reviewers have stated it is a beautiful hotel in a wonderful location. The hotel is spotless and the room was cleaned twice a day although we only ever saw the lady once who does them. Each night we would ask the reception team for recommendations on where to eat and they would book us a restaurant in close proximity. All the recommendations were superb and ranged from traditional cusine, pizza to michelin star and it saved us having to walk about finding places etc. The room was large (one of the suites) with two large tv's, sitting area and huge bathroom. I had two criticisms of our stay, one is the room was on the first floor so there was no view, we asked to move but unable to accomodate due to being fully booked (not the hotels fault as someone needs to be i guess) and two was the lack of relaxing area for sunbathing etc. (there is a rooftop terrace but it doubles up as restaurant/bar so felt would be out of place in swimwear etc up there). Really enjoyed taormina but do not underestimate the steps everywhere.

Room Tip: if you want a view you must be on 2nd and 3rd floors.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My only problem with writing this review is that the star rating only goes up to 5. This hotel and everything associated with it is 5 STAR PLUS!

Let me begin by firstly thanking the magical staff for their hugely attentive and highly professional service. The front desk team of Antonio, Diego, Danilo, The Two Giuseppes etc are backed by a classy team of staff that make you feel hugely appreciated. The high quality breakfast was always lovingly served by the classy Evelyne, who together with Dario and Saroj etc would make each morning a dream start to the day :0))

Boutique Hotel in this instance means an immaculately restored Palatial Building, including a stunning 4th floor roof terrace with equally impressive vista, that has been designed in its entirety with attention to detail in mind. It is evident that no expense has been spared when this hotel was created. The location is ideal as it is in the centre of town, with all the shops and restaurants very easily accessible on foot, whilst being set slightly back from the Main Street so as to have a discrete and noiseless ambiance. Just perfect.

The room was spacious with a terrific view over the picturesque town roof tops and out to sea. The cleaners did such an excellent job twice a day that it was incredibly hard to make a mess. All in all a very calming and peaceful environment to spend 12 dreamy days. A little slice of Heaven.

Whatever was required during our stay, whether it be a restaurant booking or reservations elsewhere, it was on each and every occasion dealt with in the most gracious and impeccable manner and always with a smile. Not only would reservations be secured but the best spot in the house would always be waiting. Antonio leads the front desk with an effortless charm and I dare anybody to go to this hotel and not fall in love with Taormina and its people.

Sending you all warm regards from London.

James and Gulnara X

• Stayed June 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm really fussy when it comes to hotels, and have a very critical eye. But, I loved this place. It's a truly splendid hotel, and I would jump at the chance to stay here again.

From the moment we arrived, I was impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. We stayed here for six nights and throughout that time the staff were great. I was unfortunate to become ill during our stay, and I thank the staff for the kind, discrete, and professional manner.

The rooms, the bar, and the restaurant are beautifully decorated and the views from the rooftop bar are simply amazing.

Like others have commented, we have stayed at other boutique hotels before and have often felt let down with small rooms or bad service. This is a boutique hotel in the true sense of the word - personal, luxurious, professional, beautiful. Above all, unique.

I can't wait to go back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed in many hotels that describe themselves as "boutique", but have staff, food & services which are no different from any other large 5-star hotel. El Jebel, however, is truly boutique, with staff & services focussed entirely on the guests' wishes & needs. The attention to detail in the architecture and interior design is spectacular. The owners have developed a hospitality venue in which no detail has been spared to ensure that guests have a genuine boutique 5-star experience, from the design of the beautiful interiors, to the luxurious bedrooms, the excellent dining, the prompt laundry service, and the friendliness & generosity of all the staff. Antonio & his team on the front desk, in the bar & restaurant & in room services were more than professional, they were extraordinary - I don't think I have ever seen such a consistently happy & helpful team.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We arrived into El Jebel late at night and were welcomed by friendly and helpful front desk staff and this is where I'd like to start my review. Front desks (Receptions) really do cause me headaches at most hotels: Unfriendly staff, unhelpful staff and staff with generic answers who can't be bothered to provide a service. The staff at El Jebel couldn't be more different, friendly, attentive and pro-active...so a great start right at the front door and because it's a boutique hotel, you rarely see any other guests, it's a personal service. We were upgraded on arrival from a junior suite to a deluxe and it was superb- like living in our own grand apartment for the week, with the grandest, most opulent bathroom I have ever seen. The bed was huge and comfortable, décor was superb and stylish, yet inviting and comfortable. Our room was tidied and cleaned twice daily, yet we only stumbled upon the cleaning staff once in the week, they really were like little fairies, almost invisible. The view from our room was worth the price of the holiday alone- a stunning view over the bays of Taormina and a great view of the amazing Mount Etna. Breakfasts were plentiful if tailored more to the continental European tastes, as opposed to British, but the quality was undoubted and service staff were perfection. The roof terrace during the day is like your own private oasis of sunbathing or relaxation (I'd like to see more sun loungers during the day BUT I am guessing the idea is to minimise the amount of guests lounging about all day, which is fine). The view from the roof terrace can't be summed up in words and you need to experience at night whilst eating at the amazing in house restaurant, which was the best food we ate all week in Taormina. The food at the Ciampoli restaurant is five star- it's pricey, but not extortionate at around 20-30% more than a regular tourist-style restaurant that can be found on every corner in the historical old part of Taormina. I have to say, we were let down by the food at most of the restaurants of Costu Umberto where food was average, with some "good" places, but the restaurant at El Jebel is 3 times the quality of anywhere else we ate all week, the lobster Linguini was 10/10. My tip for foodies in Taormina is pay more for your food!! A 12 Euro mixed meat grill on Costu Umberto tastes like a 12 euro mixed meat grill, a 23 euro steak at Ciampoli (El Jebel) tastes like a 23 Euro piece of meat- never has the adage "you get what you pay for" rang more true than Taormina. If I have one issue at El Jebel it's the 30% charge for room service...Not needed in my opinion, 10% I can accept, 30% is too high guys and a blip on the excellent service.
All in all the staff were superb and from memory I would name: Saroj, Marko, Evelyn and Antonio...but in truth, there were 2-3 other guys whose name badges I never saw, who were equally as good. If we return to Taormina, I would use the El Jebel!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel el Jebel? Share your experiences!