“real Sicilian experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalliope Trattoria

Kalliope Trattoria
Via del Consiglio Reginale 26 | Corte Degli Avolio 4, 96100 Syracuse, Sicily, Italy
0931/468008
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
EUROPE
“real Sicilian experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am a fan of discovering new food places every day but we went back there like three times and each time we happy with the food and the service. You can sit outside and enjoy live music. The only bad point for me was presence of hungry cats waiting for customers to give them some food (although they never actually came too close to tables)

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sioux City, Iowa
“We'll be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

A friend of ours here took us to this place one day for lunch. We liked it enough to plan to go back for a longer, full course meal. The classic pasta con le sarde was very good as were the various antipasti. Personable service, (perhaps because our friend took us there?) but overall enjoyable enough for us to add it to our list of places to return to.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edelsfeld
“Excellent Sicilian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

During an afternoon visit to Ortigia, we came across this restaurant by chance. The day was sunny in late November, so we sat outside, where they have umbrella covered tables. There is a small dining area inside the restaurant. We were a group of 4 and ordered Spaghetti locali, insalata mediterranea, calamari fritti and Pesce Spada all palermitana (swordfish). Everyone in our group remarked at how great, flavorful and fresh the food was. I enjoyed some of the best calamari fritti that I've ever eaten - so good that I placed a second ordrer, because my wife kept eating my calamari. A glass of their red house wine costs 2.50 euro. The restaurant does charge a 1.50 euro per person service charge. The bill for payment is machine printed and itemizes exactly and clearly your group's consumption. The bathroom is clean and well maintained, which is unsual compared to other Sicilian restaurant bathrooms.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lancashire. England
“Lovely location, nice atmoshere, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We ate here twice during our recent stay in Ortigia and enjoyed the food and location very much. Outdoor seating is in a secluded courtyard. Food and service were excellent, a very enjoyable evening meal, overall.

KT55

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
LaGrangeville, New York
“Amateur night at a tourist trap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Didn't believe it was possible to get a bad meal in Ortigia until we walked into this place; then couldn't get out of there fast enough. Our last of 4 nights in Siracusa, we made the mistake of not booking ahead at one of the 3 trattoria's we ate at the previous nights, all of which were fantastic but booked full for this Friday night. We walked around in the same neighborhood and found Kalliope in an alleyway and it looked busy enough for it to be decent. Little did we know when we sat down that the tables were full of tour groups, mostly off of the cruise ship and mostly Americans. Not always a good sign. Most Americans will eat anything and think that it's good if it's in Italy. If you have little to compare it to how can you know the difference, although for us it was way too obvious this place was strictly for tourists. If the locals don't eat there, neither should you. The true trattoria's of Sicily prefer you pay with cash and they don't take American Express. This one did. An average caper salad with hardly a caper in it and a lame antipasti started it off. A tasteless pasta in pistachio pesto that I wanted to be good was mostly drenched in ricotta cheese. My wife's secondi was a dried up over salted string of sausage while I waited for mine which never came. They were out of what I ordered but didn't tell me until 10 minutes after she got her plate. The waitress saw that there was nothing in front of me and assumed we were both done and grabbed my wife's plate away from her after 2 bites, which was probably a good thing anyway. At this point I just asked for the check and chalk it up to a bad decision on my part. No apology from the waiter. Nothing was said. Bill came to 55 euros with a bottle of wine. First time in my life I stiffed the waiter. They should have paid me to sit there. Avoid this place at all costs. Even if your tour group decides to go there, go some place else.

• Visited September 2012