“The best sandwich ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Vegan
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Weston, Connecticut
“The best sandwich ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Simply put, by the time we got our sandwiches from this shop adjacent to the market on Ortigia Island, we were hardly hungry. While waiting on the short line we were given big chunks of freshly made mozzarella (unbelievable), bruschetta (amazing) and Sicilian wine. When we got to put in our order, my son just said "make us whatever you want, give us your fantasy sandwich" and we were given 2 different over sized concoctions of fresh meats, cheeses, peppers, olives etc.on fresh baked loaves. Total was 8 euros. Naturally, we made more than one visit.

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Burgas, Bulgaria
“Deserve the first place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a typical example of how people should run their family business: with love and good will. And with a wide Sicilian smile of course. Having read reviews we headed straight to market on Monday morning but I was suspicious.. Other highly rated places were disappointment last couple of days. We were greeted by two young ladies with plates of cheese, then Andrea came to treat us with the famous smoked mozzarella. And all was delicious. And of course we spent money on cheeses and salami! And we liked it!

England
“Outstanding deli, with ideal food and service--a treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This wonderful deli makes sandwiches to order with a wide array of gorgeous cheeses and meats, for a surprisingly low 2 euros each (for the half baguette size). The smoked ricotta--ricotta affumicata--is divine! The cannolis are large and a mere euro a piece, so rich I could only have half of mine at a time.

I visited twice on my stay in Ortigia, and both times I was welcomed on arrival with a hearty 'Buon Giorno', both times offered samples to taste. The second time, when there was a longer wait, I tried smoked mozzarella, two kinds of salami, and rose prosecco! Just being there is so delightful I stood there grinning as I waited for my turn. An absolute treasure!

Wellington, United Kingdom
“you have to try it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Superb food, very helpful and friendly service. Possibly the best sandwich I have eaten. Great value.

Visited August 2013
Elmira, New York
“Utterly fantastic food and hospitality and a true Sicilian experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I explored the city of Siracusa alone while my husband was at a conference. We'd tried coming here when visiting the city the night before, but couldn't find it in the dark. What we did notice was that this corner of town seemed a bit deserted and somewhat sketchy. When I returned the next day, determined to find Caseificio Borderi after reading the reviews here, I was a bit uncomfortable, as the farmers' market in the area was clearly closing for the day, and I almost missed the storefront as it seemed to be a stall rather than a restaurant. The search was so worth forging through my discomfort, though!

There were several local gentlemen at the counter, bargaining and talking rapidly in Italian. My knowledge of Italian is nearly non-existent, so I was kind of hanging back, trying desperately to find a menu. I'd read some reviews of sandwiches on here, so when a young woman motioned me over, I said, "Panini?" She immediately figured out that I didn't speak Italian, and started talking to me in English. She suggested a sandwich that I have to admit was nearly a gastronomic ticket out of this world. It was, I believe, a kind of local ham, sliced on the spot, mixed with house-smoked mozzerella, some greens, a balsamic reduction, all on a fresh-baked roll. She handed it to me with a small cup of house wine (for free!) and motioned for me to eat before paying. It was utterly incredible. When a man behind the counter noticed me watching as several gentlemen at the counter tasted something, he motioned me over and gave me some, too (again, free!). It was an incredible eggplant bruschetta. When I finished, I brought over a jar of artichoke and pistachio pate, and even with that, my bill came to less than 6 euros. It was an incredible, friendly, and truly Sicilian experience.

On my way out, I took a photo of the front of the store. The proprietor noticed, and came over. I was afraid he might be upset that I was photographing the business without asking, but he insisted we should take a photo together. He got one of the other workers to take it, and positioned us, then, because I was laughing, he kissed me. It was hilarious and a wonderful memory. I cannot recommend a visit to Caseificio Borderi enough. You'll adore it!

• Visited January 2013