“Our first dining experience in Ortigia” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #91 of 413 Restaurants in Syracuse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Our first dining experience in Ortigia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our flight was late and we were having problems finding somewhere to eat round 10 pm on a Saturday night. Came across this place with several empty tables. Generally, an enjoyable meal, but some dishes were over-salted and a little too rich. Noticed it held one Michelin star. We had better meals in other places in Ortigia over the following week, none of which were mentioned in the Michelin guide. Would probably give the place a second go with more careful selection of dishes. the menu looks very enticing.

Visited February 2014

Dublin Ireland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The interior of this restaurant is amazing. Unfortunately the food did not live up to our expectations. The starter of pasta with mushrooms and nuts was just ok. The fish with gratin potato was over cooked. There seemed to be a lot of waiters but they did not refill our glasses once during the meal. The phone kept ringing, which would not normally be a problem, except it was so loud.

Visited December 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Best meal in Sicily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Sicilian to the core, this is a real treat of a place that I stumbled upon while avoiding the busier, better known and less authentic looking places which infest the streets of Syracuse with their faux terrases, tacky looking street furnitutre and canopies.

Ristorante Porta Marina da Salvo is located down a small back street near the Port and opens into a large atmospheric single room complete with Roman arches; I was seated in an ante room which also served as the cellar. Here there were four tables; three of which were taken. I had no reservation was was happy to be given a table with no fuss or ceremony.

The menu is surprisingly affordable and of an extremely high calibre with plenty of fixed price menu choices; everything from a €35 3 Course Special with fish/shellfish platters. Food was utterly exquisite, inventive, authentic and of a high quality; wines were a selection of local produced and Catanian wines, as well as several imported options.

Service was patchy however - as a solo diner I did feel as though I wasn't a priority customer. Notwithstanding this fact, I never felt as though I was short changed...the restuarant was a little understaffed perhaps but I still had an incredible meal.

This was in all one of the best meals I have had all year and certainly my best meal in Sicility - hands down.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Excellent out of the way restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Like others - we stumbled upon this establishment as it is on a very quite side street - but we were all getting hungry and decided to venture in and take a look around. The interior is very well done. The food was very authentic Sicilian food. The staff was very friendly and helpful in our selection of both the food and wine. We had arrived just as they were opening and were the first to be seated. Not long after many others came to dine. I would definitely eat there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodbury, Minnesota
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Simply the best meal we've had in Sicily in 2 weeks, and lucky we were!.. it was our last night there. Perfect service, skilful, professional, unobtrusive, immediate, polite. Perfect fish - I had the cod from Portugal - one of the best fish dishes I've ever had; my wife ordered local fish triglia and it was prepared with care and attention. Wine list is impressive, especially white section. We were seated in a small room/enoteca and there was not much of a view, but it didn't matter a bit that night. If we ever return to Siracusa, we will be dining there again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere