“Soul of Palermo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of B&B alla Vucciria

You added B&B alla Vucciria to your Saves list
B&B alla Vucciria
1.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Via Coltellieri, 46, 90133 Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Castellammare)   |
Ranked #39 of 346 Palermo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Soul of Palermo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This B&B is located in the heart of Palermo, inside the history centre. Good point to start discovering the city and its culture. The owner, Claudio is realy nice and helpful. The rooms are very cosy and clean. Breakfast was good. We stayed there on Saturday and were amazed about the atmosphere we found in Vucciria Market with its own street food ( fresh octopus and lemon was amazing)
Has we wanted to stay for an another night but the hotel was fully booked Claudio helped us to find another one
Great location
Great service
Great B&B
Definitely we are coming back!

Salvatore from London

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The place is located just in the middle of the centre. Claudio, the host, is an extremely kind person. He enjoys spending time with the guests, giving good advices to make your experience of Palermo the most authentic and enjoyable possible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Darmstadt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We (young italian couple) stayed in Palermo at Claudio's B&B (Alla Vucciria) and it was just the right choice!!!
First of all the rooms are clean and big, really big!The B&B is in the best position for walk around Palermo and especially safe in the evening. It is very safe! Vucciria might not look safe at a first sight if you are scared of narrow streets and market crowds, but on the opposite, because it is very turistic areas, turist are super safe! No one wants anything to happen to turist! So here you are safe and in the middle of day and night life!
But Claudio is the one that made our stay memorable! He was the perfect host for us, he was like a friend, easy going and smiley all the time! We were chatting with him 2 hours everyday! He has lots of advices and he is a very nice person. And he even came with us to show us a bit of Palermo and we had lunch together in town. Breakfast is perfect and his coffee is the best! I can only recommend you to stay at Claudio's B&B!!! He will make you want to come back! Valeria (&Stefano)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I just returned from Italy and I could not wait to write a review of this wonderful little B&B in the unique Vucciria area of Palermo. Although I had been to Italy many times, I decided on this trip I would break from the habit of going to the same regions and visit the parts of Italy less touristed. I started with Palermo. It was a great start. I picked this B&B because of the location. I did not want to stay where the crowds were and I wanted to experience an authentic Palermo. I did a lot of reading before my visit and I was captivated by the photos of Letizia Battaglia, many of which she took in took in the Vucceria and the Kalsa.
I bought a new camera and I could not have asked a more interesting location to shoot. Unfortunately, I lost my camera at Pompeii so the photos here of the B&B are not as comprehensive as I had hoped and do not do justice to the B&B.
Claudio, our wonderful (and extremely handsome) host carried our luggage up the stairs for us. We only took one small bag each and it was more than sufficiant. We had a very large room with a balcony and a large private bath. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The drapes were lovely and the paint was new. It was furnished with large clean exfoliating towels. People hang their clothes on a line and don't use fabric softener there. There was sattelite tv and wireless available in the room. A couple of internet centers were also close by. AC was available in the room, but we did not need it. The breeze through the open floor to ceiling balcony windows was enough. We stayed in the Peach Room. There is a Blue Room that is larger with two balconies and is also wonderful. There are two more rooms also, but they were occupied for the whole time we were there.
Claudio served usl breakfast in the morning asking the day before what our preferences were. We always wanted fresh fruit and croissants along with fresh expresso. He also had yogurt, meats and cheeses should you want that. The market was almost at our footsteps so he would run out in the morning and buy everything fresh and serve it on long dining table in the large lovely dining area equipped with books and a comfortable couch and chairs.
Claudio is extremely knowlegeable, speaks English and took us on a night walking tour of the Vucciria and the Kalsa area which was the highlight of my trip to Italy. We started about sunset and there was a full moon. We stopped twice along the way at neighborhood cafes to sample the typical food and drink of Palermo. Claudio and Dorathea, a doctorate student studying the political history of Palermo, led the tour for just the two of us. We walked into old buildings and down narrow alleyways I am sure only someone who grew up in this neighborhood knew about.
Our days we spent walking through the old market area and strolling along the harbor area then back to the B&B for a quiet nap to sleep off the jetlag. In the evening we again hit the streets walking to the Teatro Massimo area which is about a 20 minute walk where the streets are lined with outdoor cafes stuffed to the brim with Sicilians and tourists alike enjoying the wonderful food and drink of Palermo.
During the day the Vucciria Market area is full of vegetable stalls, fishmongers and a few typical little cafes where we ate cheaply and well. The men of Palermo still line up to eat the pancreas sandwiches on the little rolls cooked by the roadside. I could not get myself to do that. We saw men skinning anchovies. Be bought olives, wine, cheese and bread and some spices to take home.
At night the Vucciria market turns into a social gathering site for the younger set. Returning home from a dinner near the Teatro Massimo about 1 am we stopped to buy a sandwich and a cold drink from some young men who had set up a stand near the market and it was a very good sandwich.
On Sundays when the market is closed people gather at the cafes to talk and celebrate family events. Walking by one Sunday afternoon I was pulled into a First Communion celebration by a complete stranger and was twirled around on a dance floor in the market to the music of Elvis Presley. We were surrounded by little girls in their communion dresses wanting photos with us. It was an unforgettable experience.
The location is fabulous if you want to eat at what some think is the best restaurant in Palermo, Ristaurante Santanrea. It is only 50 meters from the doorstep and around the corner from that is the lovely Piazza San Dominico with it's cafes and gelaterias.
Although we were two women travelling alone I can't remember ever feeling unsafe in this neighborhood. I was a little worried before coming, but after arriving my fears were quickly dispelled.
From Palermo we caught the ferry to Stromboli which was about a 30 minute walk. We left early in the morning and along the way a handsome young buggy driver picked us up and gave us a free ride in his horse and carriage. Palermo, I love you.. B&B all Vucciria, I love you.
I am already planning a repeat visit to Palermo to retake my photos and then move on through the rest of Sicily and I will stay at the B&B all Vucciria.

Reply Forward

Room Tip: Ask for the Blue Room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Very nice location, just off from busy Mercato Vucciria and piazza Domenica, where is a nice restaurant 50 m from the BB's entrance. BB's owner is very friendly and helpful, twin rooms are very spacious (I looked in...), but the only single room was ok too, practically you have your one bathroom, because you share it only with owners. You can really feel staying here as you are in your home.

Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

This B&B owes much of its praise to the owner Claudio. He is an extremely friendly and helpful man who willingly shares from his great knowledge of local restaurants, things to see and visit in Palermo, and also helping you find the easiest way to get to where you're going.
What is great about the B&B is also the central location, right in the middle of old town Palermo, where you'll have anything you want to visit in walking distance. We did arrive by car, which is something we would advise against, since finding a parking space in rush hour (or any hour of the day for that matter) is extremely difficult. However, Claudio helped us with that too!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

We had a lovely 2-night stay at Claudio's fabulous B&B. No question, the location of the B&B is absolutely perfect, as it is bang in the middle of “old Palermo” and just a stone-throw away from the food markets, which we really enjoyed very much. Although we did not spend so much time inside, we could have, as our room was surprisingly large, with a great TV, a fantastic on-suite and a gorgeous balcony. Needless to say that everything was very clean. The beds must have been new, as I slept like a baby – absolute heaven after a day walking around in busy Palermo.

Claudio was a fantastic host who patiently explained everything we needed to know. The poor bloke did not even lose his temper, when we asked for loads of things to get ready for the wedding and then had to ring the doorbell in the middle of the night to get in. I thoroughly recommend staying with him.

• Liked — The size of the room and the brilliant beds
  • Disliked — It is on the 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to B&B alla Vucciria? Share your experiences!