“A great hideaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 98 hotels in Palermo
Canberra, Australia
“A great hideaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel in January 2013. The rooms were of a good size and clean. We enjoyed great breakfasts and have to make special mention of the fabulous Sicilian oranges which were available for guests to make their own juice. Words almost fail me. The orange juice was without doubt the best I had ever tasted. The rest of the breakfast on offer wasn't outstanding, but was nevertheless delicious, especially when we had a great view over the city, to the hills. As a family, we stayed in the two roomed-suite one level down from the breakfast room. The only downside was that the room under the kitchen was noisy, once staff were preparing for breakfast. Apart from that, the staff were always pleasant, we loved the old-fashioned lift, and thought the hotel was well-situated. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Perhaps not the room situated under the kitchen!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mrs Katherine,
first of all we all want to thank you for leaving your precious comment .
Oranges are one of the symbols of our beautiful island, and we are glad you appreciated our fresh juices. We will give you a quiet room when you will come back.
Thank you again for your kindness.
The staff.

855 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Hotel has an offsite residence as well. Our friends stayed there - really spacious but unless you're a large family, more room than you could possible need. Plus if you choose that, you do not get breakfast included. In the main hotel you have to check in on the ground floor but the lobby is on the second floor - elevators are tiny and a bit scary. Bring your camera to breakfast and plan to sit a while - the view from their breakfast terrace is breath-taking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your comment.
We are glad you enjoyed the breath-taking panorama you had from our terrace, and hope you took some picture so you will always remember us.
We all hope to host you again
The staff
københavn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very nice small hotel on Via Roma 200 meter (correct!) from Central Station. Situated at 5th and 6th floor with a roof terrace with a view which make you forget to down to the buzzling streets of Palermo again. The elevantor ride in an antique elevator put you in the right mood before you arrive at reception floor. Our room was very nice and the breakfast at the terrasse also superb. The staff was very helpful and friendly and multilingual. It will be our choice of hotel next time we visit Palermo. If you also compare quality with price - well why choose any other hotel in Palermo

Room Tip: smile when you arrive at the reception - it always help!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The location and public areas are very good. The room was ok, clean and modern, however little details like hotel info, phone for reception was lacking. The breakfast was ok. All in all, average. There was a strange smell in the reception area, not sure what it was; it could have been from the wood. All in all, if I had to pick between this hotel and the Mercure we also stayed in, I would choose the Mercure, for quality v cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you for your review. We use to give general information at check in time, or when we take guest in their rooms, like how to use room facilities or phone numbers to call the reception desk, and we are always ready to give any other kind of information/support.
Anyway, we will pay more attention to this aspect. About the smell you wrote about, probably was fresh paint, as we take advantage of the low season to do some renovation in hotel rooms, common areas or reception. We are sorry we left such a negative memory, we hope you change your mind and come back here to see how we improve our Hotel year after year.
Patras, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Ambasciatori Hotel is just 200m from the central station of Palermo. It’s very clean and has a very beautiful taratza where you can have your breakfast. The only problem is that the wi-fi connection is very slow and you can have a good signal on 5 floors when you are close to the reception.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StaffAmbasciatori, staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you for your comment. We are glad that our terrace has contributed to your pleasant stay here in Palermo. We have wifi signal problems in some areas of the Hotel, but it is due to the very large and dense wall of the building. Our terrace has a dedicated modem to work with internet enjoying the view of the city.
Anyway, we are managing to improve this aspect right now.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were charming, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast is served on a rooftop terrace, where you can also have drinks and dinner with a glorious view of the city.
The front desk staff are very helpful and ready to provide a city map, directions, and recommendations for meals (though they'd love you to have all your dinners at the hotel).
A great place to stay, and good value.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear guest,
The title of your comment perfectly summarize what is our principal intent. To create an oasis in our beautiful and chaotic city. We created our terrace to give guest relax and improved this giving also the possibility to taste fresh drinks at sunset and flavorful tipical dishes at dinner.
Thank you for your kindness, we all hope to host you again soon
wilmslow, cheshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am in two minds about this hotel. Let's see what happens if I'm in 'analytical' mode:

PROS: price, position, undeniably lovely roof terrace (I didn't sample the dinner on offer although the menus look imaginative), very friendly and helpful staff

CONS: a small 5/6 floor hotel above a pharmacist on a busy main road; basic facilities - just a small 'waiting room' and the terrace apart from the rooms; the two rooms I stayed in gave me an old-fashioned-but-not-'artisanal' feeling - not very comfortable; the first room was on the same floor as Reception and I was woken at 6 by cleaners banging around.

Let's see what happens if I'm NOT in 'analytical' mode:

Regarding the noise I experienced, the staff changed my room without hesitation, packing my bag and moving it for me.

Within 10 minutes of my arrival I wandered up to the terrace (to see if the website photos of the view really correspond to reality - they do!) and found a Pilates class in session. I couldn't resist imitating some of the positions and found myself invited to join in! Not only that but also invited (I can't speak Italian) to have a slice of birthday cake of the sister of the instructor! What a welcome to Sicily!

So these are my impressions - coloured perhaps by not feeling entirely comfortable in Palermo, in general. I felt on edge walking around the city - a slight hint of violence (I didn't experience any), gloomy streets with poor lighting and neglected pavements, rubbish collection etc, some beautiful buildings but little sign of restoration. But almost all the meals I had were very good, if expensive. I had been to Sicily once before, but in the south - Noto and Avola. I don't think I'd return to Palermo again. I stayed in Trapani and Marsala for a few days - they were much more restful and relaxing.

So, conclusion? As value for money I'd say very good. If you're looking for a different kind of hotel - more space, more facilities (all-day restaurant, swimming pool, gym, games room, etc) and are willing to pay then choose somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ambasciatori Hotel? Share your experiences!