“An oasis of calm in a lively city” 4 of 5 stars

Ambasciatori Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Roma 111, 90133 Palermo, Sicily, Italy (Tribunali)   |
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Oakland, California
“An oasis of calm in a lively city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were charming, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast is served on a rooftop terrace, where you can also have drinks and dinner with a glorious view of the city.
The front desk staff are very helpful and ready to provide a city map, directions, and recommendations for meals (though they'd love you to have all your dinners at the hotel).
A great place to stay, and good value.

• Stayed September 2012
StaffAmbasciatori, staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear guest,
The title of your comment perfectly summarize what is our principal intent. To create an oasis in our beautiful and chaotic city. We created our terrace to give guest relax and improved this giving also the possibility to taste fresh drinks at sunset and flavorful tipical dishes at dinner.
Thank you for your kindness, we all hope to host you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am in two minds about this hotel. Let's see what happens if I'm in 'analytical' mode:

PROS: price, position, undeniably lovely roof terrace (I didn't sample the dinner on offer although the menus look imaginative), very friendly and helpful staff

CONS: a small 5/6 floor hotel above a pharmacist on a busy main road; basic facilities - just a small 'waiting room' and the terrace apart from the rooms; the two rooms I stayed in gave me an old-fashioned-but-not-'artisanal' feeling - not very comfortable; the first room was on the same floor as Reception and I was woken at 6 by cleaners banging around.

Let's see what happens if I'm NOT in 'analytical' mode:

Regarding the noise I experienced, the staff changed my room without hesitation, packing my bag and moving it for me.

Within 10 minutes of my arrival I wandered up to the terrace (to see if the website photos of the view really correspond to reality - they do!) and found a Pilates class in session. I couldn't resist imitating some of the positions and found myself invited to join in! Not only that but also invited (I can't speak Italian) to have a slice of birthday cake of the sister of the instructor! What a welcome to Sicily!

So these are my impressions - coloured perhaps by not feeling entirely comfortable in Palermo, in general. I felt on edge walking around the city - a slight hint of violence (I didn't experience any), gloomy streets with poor lighting and neglected pavements, rubbish collection etc, some beautiful buildings but little sign of restoration. But almost all the meals I had were very good, if expensive. I had been to Sicily once before, but in the south - Noto and Avola. I don't think I'd return to Palermo again. I stayed in Trapani and Marsala for a few days - they were much more restful and relaxing.

So, conclusion? As value for money I'd say very good. If you're looking for a different kind of hotel - more space, more facilities (all-day restaurant, swimming pool, gym, games room, etc) and are willing to pay then choose somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've brought small groups to Ambasciatori 5 or 6 times since 2004, my last visit being May 2012. My first stay there was perfect, and each stay thereafter has been even more perfect, if that is possible. The owners are approachable and kind, and the staff reflect this as a few of them have been there for years. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, and even smaller ones offer plenty of space. Some only have windows to the courtyard, so you won't get much direct sunlight - but who wants to hang around in a hotel room in a place like Palermo. But if you don't feel like roaming the streets, there is the wonderful roof top terrace, that provides the best view in Palermo. Really! Breakfast is good, standard fare of fruit, yogurt, cheese, meats, cereals, eggs, juices, a variety of breads and pastries, but the best part are the cakes that change daily. All in all a wonderful place, with the only negative being that it is not accessible.

Room Tip: The hotel is located over a number of floors in the building. The rooms on the lower levels for the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff Reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dearest Guest,
thank you for leaving a message for us!
We are very pleasant for your comeback in our Hotel, it means that you feel good with us!
We will wait for your and your groups soon!
Kindest regards
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Arrived late on bus from airport and needed to be back at bus staion by 7 next morning but hotel easy to find and really close to bus staion , passed it on bus so knew where it was without having to ask. Really friendly, room comfortable with everything needed and ate at fantastic restaurant on terrace. Food wonderful, given complimentary cocktail as i sat down and felt fine as older woman on my own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StaffAmbasciatori, Reception staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
we really thank you for your message and for the pictures!
We'll wait for you again!
the staff
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

A short walk from the Central Station directly down a few blocks on Via Roma (right side) led us to this delightful 5th story hotel. Staff speaks English. Breakfast and dinner are served on the rooftop terrace overlooking great views of Palermo and the harbor. Our room, with a balcony, was small but very comfortable. The breakfast, included with the room, offered a wonderful variety. Dinner at the restaurant is by reservation. The mussels were served in a delicious broth and proved to be one of the best dishes we had in Sicily. Everything was fresh and nicely served. We were able to walk to all the major sites and were grateful we parked our rental car at the airport and took the 45 minute bus ride into the Central Station--no need to drive or find parking!

Room Tip: Our room with a balcony gave the impression of more space and provided a great City view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff Reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dearest Guest,
the most important thing for us is to take care of our guests, so we are very pleased you left a message on tripadvisor.com

We are glad that you enjoyed our Hotel , our wonderful city and the dishes made by our chef, because your satisfation is our priority!!

We hope to see you again!
Many thanks from the staff!
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in one of the apartments and it was lovely. Very large rooms and the beds were very comfortable. It overlooked the bar 'Drunks' and there was loud music until very early each morning; but we made the most of this and went down to join them. The hotel and apartments are in a very good position, close to everything. The breakfast was very nice although be careful, as we were told at the start of our trip that the breakfast was 8 euros per person and then at the end of the stay they charged us 10. They didn't argue this when questioned and lowered the bill. Staff were friendly and helpful, they booked us a taxi to the airport. The nicest member of staff was Kennit, who was extra helpful if we ever needed anything. I would stay here again if I went back to Palermo. Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
StaffAmbasciatori, staff reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear guest,
We are very happy you enjoyed your staying here. As written, we vacated our apartments, so we can host you again in the main Hotel.
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed as Hotel Ambasciatori as a single woman traveller, and I felt completely safe. The staff is very friendly and very heloful. The hotel is in a great location (right near the central train station). The food was quite good generally. The only thing I didn't appreciate was the way the chef cooked some mussels. The roof-top restaurant/bar offers a spectacular view, and the mixed drinks were just the right touch. I would recommend Hotel Ambasciatori to anyone. I know that's where I'm stayiing next time I go to Palermo.

Room Tip: You might want to bring earplugs if you're sensitive to on-street traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear madam,
thank you for your review.
We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and terrace. We appreciate you will recommend it to your friends and hope to host you again soon.
The staff

Been to Ambasciatori Hotel? Share your experiences!