“Great location but very noisy” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel del Centro
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Roma 72, 90133 Palermo, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #22 of 99 Hotels in Palermo
San Jose, California
“Great location but very noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night, would not stay again.
The pluses:
Breakfast had great coffee, pastries, cheeses and meats and a wonderful hostess who made hearts and happy faces on our cappuccinos.
Easy five minute walk from Palermo train station
Great location near shopping and the sights.

The negatives:
Our room faced the street (busy Via Roma) and it was nonstop sirens, traffic, singing and partying noises until late in the evening.
The manager (Nicollo)was not very helpful, the kind of person who says, "the answer is NO, now what was the question?"
There was free wi-fi that worked OK but unlike other hotels it only allowed one device to log on using individual access codes, had a difficult time convincing Nicollo we needed three codes for our iPhones and iPad.
Bed was kind of flimsy

We rarely complain about hotels, but the negatives for this visit far exceeded the positives.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PalazzoloP, Direttore at Hotel del Centro, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Customer
I am very sorry that you have been assigned a noisy room.
Our windows have double glazing which absorbs up to 70% of the noise from the street, so it is sufficient to keep the window closed not to be disturbed by the noise.
You would have asked to change the room with an inner courtyard and we would be happy to accommodate you.
I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast served with love by Letizia.
I'm so sorry you've had problems with my employee Nicolò and I apologize if he has given you the impression of being a little annoyed.
I assure you that I will ask Nicolò explanations of the episode.
The wi-fi codes are absolutely free, and each customer can ask many as he wants.
I'd like to have guests again to fix it.
Best wishes

Giuseppe Palazzolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Cairo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was going to give the hotel a rating of average, but after seeing the photos of rooms here by travelers, I couldn't stop laughing at how bad my wife and I were scammed out of a comfortable room. It was my fault for not check tripadvisor beforehand.

My wife and I traveled to Palermo for a very short trip at the beginning of October and decided to stay at this hotel because of its location. We booked online well ahead of time (almost 6 months in advance). We arrived at the hotel around noon and the receptionist said that our room was still being cleaned, so we were just going to wait. He then shuffled around with some keys and then he told us he'll just get us a room now instead so we don't have to wait, which I thought was extremely nice and helpful. He also asked us if we wanted a room on the "quiet" side or on the main street "a bit noisier." Seeing how we live in Cairo, I didn't really think it was relevant so I preferred to be on the main road. He escorted us to the room, WHICH WAS EXTREMELY SMALL! This room would be fine if it's for a single person... and even then, it's pretty tight. We then asked the receptionist "This is quite small, are all the rooms the same?" He then replied "Yes, all the rooms are the same," which was definitely a lie and makes me laugh when I see the photos of other rooms here! The fact that they only had one towel proves that this was meant for only one person and they just crammed my wife and I in that room. If I remember correctly, it was room #18, which was on the top floor above the lobby. If you see #18 on that key, throw it away and run for your life!

It's a shame that I had to give a poor rating because of that blatant lie. Other than that, I thought the staff were extremely nice and friendly. The breakfast was all right. It was mainly sweet pastries and it was way too much sugar for me, but my wife loved the breakfast there. The location of the hotel is great! You can take a shuttle from the airport and it's final destination is a the bus station which is just a minute away from the hotel.

So the only advice I have is not to settle for a small room.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #18 at all cost!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntingdon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for just one night on 17/10/2013. The entrance is lovely, but shared with a few other hotels in the same building There is a lift to take you up to the hotel on the second floor. The reception staff are very welcoming and friendly. My room (number 10) is across from the Reception. It was large and clean with a spacious double bed. The window opens onto a central square area (so there is no view) and the air conditioning wasn't working. My friend's room (number 20) had 2 single beds and a small balcony overlooking the side street. The AC was working well and it was clean, bright and airy. Breakfast was lovely -it included a selection of yogurts, tin prunes and peaches, cakes, bread rolls, ham and cheese as well as freshly made coffee or juice.On the whole a pleasant stay and very convenient as only a few minutes from the main station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
shaftesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great location, close to buses and train station. Lovely spacious room, bathroom, lift and excellent breakfast. You cannot do better. The staff are great. Excellent restaurent we were directed to across the road. Everyone very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Nice location close to the central station and close to some of the city sights. If shopping is you thing, a lot of bargains in the hood, but for major brands you need to go further north.
The quality of the hotel fits the price and breakfast is very good by Italian standards.
The staff was super helpful, in helping us chase our lost luggage. The room was nothing special, but was big for a city hotel. All in all good value for the money.

Room Tip: Be aware that the hotel is at the 2nd and 3rd floor, and the elevator only takes you to 2nd, so if y...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occasions and have used It particularly because of its location to the Railway Station and buses. The staff has always been very accomodating and even have arranged transportation for us to be taken to the airport. It has always been clean and comfortable and even if we had to leave before the breakfast was ready, they made sure that we were able to get some food before we left. Not a 5 star or a Hilton but would strongly recommend them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was here with friends in June. Hotel has very good location, all the attractions are with in a walking distance. Also the Central Station is 5 min walk, and the buses to the beach are near. And best of all the breakfast is too die for, best pastries ever. Best value for your money

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel del Centro? Share your experiences!